Covid Visa Extension for Non immigrant O Visa

I need some advice, hopefully somebody on this forum can advise me. I am a Canadian citizen married for over 30 years to a Thai national. I'm currently in Thailand on a British passport with a non-immigrant O visa. This visa was extended in April 2020 for 60 days, and later in the year was extended for 12 months, after I deposited the required funds in a Thai bank account. This 12 month extension comes to an end on 7th September 2021. I've just had my first Covid-19 vaccination (Astra Zeneca) here in Thailand, with the second shot scheduled for the end of October. Obviously, I'd like to stay in Thailand until at least the 3rd week of November, at which time, I'll be able to return, with my wife, to Canada without the need to enter mandatory hotel quarantine. I've read about Covid visa extensions, can I get an extension to my non immigrant O visa through this option? If so, is this an automatic extension, similar to the extensions they had last year, or do I need to apply in person at the local Immigration office?

Thanks

David

There is no covid extension for a non-O, non-O like non-B follow set times (3 months, 12 months).

Perhaps you can talk with your local immigration about a non-O extension for 90 days.

The other option even through I won't advise it would be the COVID "emergency" visa, there is however a lot of on-going actions around this.

Hi Davej

Two choices given the dates stated.
Firstly you didn't extend your Non O Visa, Visas cannot b extended. You extended your permission of stay.

All extension applications are submitted to your local Immigration office and cost 1,900 BHT irrespective of whether it's for a 30 day or 1 year extension of stay.

1. You could indeed apply for a 60 day Covid extension, but the issue with that is as your current permission of stay expires on Sept 7th, a 60 day Covid extension would only take you to Nov 5th, a couple of weeks short of your expected departure. Currently the end date for 60 day Covid extension applications is Sept 27th, with no guarantee that date will be extended again at the current time.
You could also additionally apply for a 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse.
(The above would require at least two visits to Immigration and two application fees)

2. You could apply for a further 1 year extension based on Thai spouse providing the same documents and proof of finances as for your previous application. This will grant you permission of stay until Sept 7th 2022. If you purchase a single re-entry permit, (1,000 BHT) this would give you the advantage of if for any reason you returned to Thailand for a visit at a later date, you would be granted permission of stay on entry until Sept 7th 2022.
(The above would require two visits to Immigration but one application fee)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Shark said:

There is no covid extension for a non-O, non-O like non-B follow set times (3 months, 12 months).

Incorrect - anyone regardless of Immigration status can apply for a 60 day Covid extension.

20 minutes ago, Shark said:

Perhaps you can talk with your local immigration about a non-O extension for 90 days.

There is no 90 day extension available from a Non O entry based on Thai spouse.
The OP can apply for;
1. A 60 day Covid extension
2. A 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse.
3. A 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

23 minutes ago, Shark said:

The other option even through I won't advise it would be the COVID "emergency" visa, there is however a lot of on-going actions around this.

That is the 60 day Covid extension, not a Visa, a permit.
The OP is currently on a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faz said:

1. You could indeed apply for a 60 day Covid extension, but the issue with that is as your current permission of stay expires on Sept 7th, a 60 day Covid extension would only take you to Nov 5th, a couple of weeks short of your expected departure.

2. You could apply for a further 1 year extension based on Thai spouse providing the same documents and proof of finances as for your previous application. This will grant you permission of stay until Sept 7th 2022. If you purchase a single re-entry permit, (1,000 BHT) this would give you the advantage of if for any reason you returned to Thailand for a visit at a later date, you would be granted permission of stay on entry until Sept 7th 2022.

Many thanks for your advice. Certainly sounds like a trip to the local Immigration Office here in Rayong is called for.

Option 1 isn't too bad, my second AZ shot is October 29th, so I could return to Canada on 12th November, based on 14 days after 2nd shot, and avoid the $2000CAD cost of mandatory quarantine. I would incur 3500Baht overstay fine, if they don't extend again, but a lot cheaper than staying in some grotty airport hotel in Toronto for mandatory 3 day quarantine.

Option 2 is definitely preferable though, as we would hope to return to Thailand, Covid permitting, early in the new year. I didn't realise that I could apply for a second consecutive 1 year extension, based on the same eligibility as a year ago. I went to the Immigration Office in late June, and they didn't mention this option at that time, they only told me to watch for news on July 29th for news of any extensions.

7 minutes ago, davej said:

Option 2 is definitely preferable though, as we would hope to return to Thailand, Covid permitting, early in the new year. I didn't realise that I could apply for a second consecutive 1 year extension, based on the same eligibility as a year ago. I went to the Immigration Office in late June, and they didn't mention this option at that time, they only told me to watch for news on July 29th for news of any extensions.

Given your situation, option 2 would be my preference as it's more flexible.
You can apply for the 1 year extension tomorrow. Submissions are accepted up to 30 days before expiry of your existing extension (45 days early at certain offices). 2,900 for a 1 year extension + re-entry permit.
No fear of overstay if for any reason your departure is delayed and returning in January you'd be granted permission of stay until Sept 7th 2022 on entry.

You can download the required TM7 (extension) and TM8 (re-entry permit) application forms here:
Immigration application forms for download. - > Visas, Long Stay, Extensions, Re-entry Permit - Thaiger Talk (thethaiger.com)

16 minutes ago, davej said:

I didn't realise that I could apply for a second consecutive 1 year extension, based on the same eligibility as a year ago.

That's exactly how long term foreigners remain in Thailand year after year based on retirement or Thai family/spouse. We extend our permission of stay annually.
I'm on my 8th consecutive annual extension of stay.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

That's exactly how long term foreigners remain in Thailand year after year based on retirement or Thai family/spouse. We extend our permission of stay annually.
I'm on my 8th consecutive annual extension of stay.

Many thanks for your invaluable help and advice. You've certainly removed the worry from my wife and I.

I agree that option 2 is the most sensible.

If you are planning to return to Thailand within the extension of a year, then you either need to get that exit/entry permit, Faz mentioned, so you can re-enter on the same visa, or it will be cancelled when you leave and you will have to start all over again, if you decide to return.

Edited by MrStretch

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Incorrect - anyone regardless of Immigration status can apply for a 60 day Covid extension.

There is no 90 day extension available from a Non O entry based on Thai spouse.
The OP can apply for;
1. A 60 day Covid extension
2. A 60 day extension to visit Thai spouse.
3. A 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

That is the 60 day Covid extension, not a Visa, a permit.
The OP is currently on a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai spouse.

I F'd up in my head. It was indeed a 60 (2 month) day extension of Non-O.
The rest of my message still stands. I agree fully to making the 2nd option as the most feasible.