What tourists???

PhayakPeter

My Thai wife flight from Heathrow today, I call it 'spot the tourist'  if my wife stretched her legs out, her feet would be in the cockpit, stop bigging up the sandbox success,, its fake news. 

1628420817300.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

Business class was full on my flight from AUH to HKT sandbox, but in the economy class there were just a few people. It seems that just high-ish middle class is willing to take the risk with the Sandbox and 60% of them probably just farangs returning with their Thai wives.

I usually fly business as the pure misery of economy is too much to take, however the last few reports I've heard from friends is you can pick your row to stretch out on in economy - so providing you're on a flight where the arm rests come up, take advantage of it ! I can slum it with plastic forks and congealed noodles for 12 hours to save a grand !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I usually fly business as the pure misery of economy is too much to take, however the last few reports I've heard from friends is you can pick your row to stretch out on in economy - so providing you're on a flight where the arm rests come up, take advantage of it ! I can slum it with plastic forks and congealed noodles for 12 hours to save a grand !

Best flight I had in a long time was BKK-SEA back in March. Both planes were 4-seat middle section. Excellent sleep and nobody bothered me to see if I wanted food.

Next flights are on A-350s so I'll have to scrunch into 3 seats on my way to the Sandbox.

And how long can Thai Airways continue to operate with empty planes, dread to think what price future flights will be as Airlines fold. 

You would have to be an incredibly intrepid tourist to come to Thailand at this point. Clearly many bit at the start of the sandbox. However, it is increasingly clear that it would be very foolish to try to vacation in Thailand right now. Likely only those who have significant ties to Thailand who took this opportunity to finally return... but for what? All the reasons to come to Thailand are just about destroyed at this point. The short term future of tourism is pretty bleak. Now we will all watch the subsequent chaos ensue...

7 hours ago, Freeduhdumb said:

You would have to be an incredibly intrepid tourist to come to Thailand at this point. Clearly many bit at the start of the sandbox. However, it is increasingly clear that it would be very foolish to try to vacation in Thailand right now. Likely only those who have significant ties to Thailand who took this opportunity to finally return... but for what? All the reasons to come to Thailand are just about destroyed at this point. The short term future of tourism is pretty bleak. Now we will all watch the subsequent chaos ensue...

But the golf courses are empty and there’s not too much competition for the cute ones - look for the silver linings 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benroon said:

to finally return... but for what?

I know five people who did a vaccine tourism trip to the US. Three went through (or are going through) the sandbox and are loving it. One returned in June so had to ASQ. And one is planning ASQ unless domestic flights open back up, then it's off to the sandbox.

Don't lose the plot here people, the Sandbox is an experiment to see if they can sustain at least a portion of Thailand in a healthy state. The Thai economy is way more attached to Tourism than what is ever disclosed and so many people are going hungry, so please be a little considerate with your negative comments

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

I know five people who did a vaccine tourism trip to the US. Three went through (or are going through) the sandbox and are loving it. One returned in June so had to ASQ. And one is planning ASQ unless domestic flights open back up, then it's off to the sandbox.

Odd - you quoted me but it was from a post by Freeduhdumb.

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Odd - you quoted me but it was from a post by Freeduhdumb.

That is weird. Since 99.9999% of the time problems are user error, I apologize. I must have been looking at @Freeduhdumb's post and yours at the same time and snatched the quote out of your quote of their post.

there was pretty much no one on my flight from japan, narita to bangkok, there was 4 people 

i wonder how airlines are surviving

Edited by dj230

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

there was pretty much no one on my flight from japan, narita to bangkok, there was 4 people 

i wonder how airlines are surviving

They're not.  Thai is burning through even more cash as it strives to unload assets in a severely depressed market.  The same applies to most airlines in the region although unlike Thai, most remain solvent with increased public or private funding.

SIA is perhaps the most financially solvent of all Asian carriers, very well managed, yet they lose money on almost every flight.  Why?  A large part of continuing on loss-making routes is to do with maintaining schedules and slots. eg: SIA has a network to maintain and stopping just one service can disrupt a sequence of connections.  Slots (landing times), can cost millions at busy hub airports like SIN, LHR or SYD and at the very least, may be sought after and taken over by other carriers if not used.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

They're not.  Thai is burning through even more cash as it strives to unload assets in a severely depressed market.  The same applies to most airlines in the region although unlike Thai, most remain solvent with increased public or private funding.

SIA is perhaps the most financially solvent of all Asian carriers, very well managed, yet they lose money on almost every flight.  Why?  A large part of continuing on loss-making routes is to do with maintaining schedules and slots. eg: SIA has a network to maintain and stopping just one service can disrupt a sequence of connections.  Slots (landing times), can cost millions at busy hub airports like SIN, LHR or SYD and at the very least, may be sought after and taken over by other carriers if not used.  

I didn't say they were thriving lol, surviving just means they're not bankrupt yet

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

surviving just means they're not bankrupt yet

Actually, they are bankrupt. I think they're being paid to run the EU/UK routes to keep the sandbox alive. I just hope they keep it going for another couple of months.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Actually, they are bankrupt. I think they're being paid to run the EU/UK routes to keep the sandbox alive. I just hope they keep it going for another couple of months.

Correct.  It makes you wonder just how much financial benefit is derived for Thailand when you weigh the supposed income from the Sandbox scheme against all the promotional costs and TG flights running almost empty.

You're not the only one hoping the scheme continues but at least there's always ASQ as a fallback.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I’ve just booked a flight to London for an incredible £185 (was £149 last week) with Etihad - Thai airways wanted £476! 

They just never learn ! 

11 hours ago, JamesE said:

That is weird. Since 99.9999% of the time problems are user error, I apologize. I must have been looking at @Freeduhdumb's post and yours at the same time and snatched the quote out of your quote of their post.

I don’t think it was you tbf - I quoted someone and although I got the right message another users name was on it , I think a small software glitch ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I’ve just booked a flight to London for an incredible £185 (was £149 last week) with Etihad - Thai airways wanted £476! 

They just never learn ! 

That's not bad... then again you've got to pay 2.5k GBP to go into hotel quarantine right?

47 minutes ago, Ubon2530 said:

That's not bad... then again you've got to pay 2.5k GBP to go into hotel quarantine right?

No - Thailand is still amber somehow - so only 10 days quarantine at home which isn’t a problem or if you get bored you can release yourself after 5 days with an additional PCR test. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No - Thailand is still amber somehow - so only 10 days quarantine at home which isn’t a problem or if you get bored you can release yourself after 5 days with an additional PCR test. 

Wow, I actually checked the .gov website to make sure Thailand really was on the amber list. Shocking incompetence again from our government.

Get out quickly then, the US just added Thailand to it's red list; and where the US leads, Boris will surely follow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:57 AM, PhayakPeter said:

And how long can Thai Airways continue to operate with empty planes, dread to think what price future flights will be as Airlines fold. 

Rather moot.

As Thai Airways didn't operate all that well in normal times. 

Akin to a criminal organisation and unsavoury business practices.

I'm flying into Phuket on October 2nd for 10 days ... actually can't wait despite the apparent doom and gloom. Iv worked my balls off for 18 months and endured the lonely lifestyle of lockdown, so 10 days strolling around a quiet paradise is more than appealing.  I love Thailand and the Thai people - looking forward to meeting some new people and remember what life is all about.  Anyone else travelling at this time ?

Edited by hightower