Hyphenated Surnames...

Faraday

Anybody got one?

Used to know a couple who, when they got married combined their surnames & became Hathaway-Jenkins- pretentious, if you ask me....

C'mon Sofa old chap, I'm sure you can add to this.

John Cusack Film GIF

This is a good one:

@Bluesofa

IMG_20210808_123331.png

• Haha 5

I don't see men changing their names  upon marriage- only women using the hyphenated thingy in half assed attempts to hang onto their own identities.  Time to stop changing your name at all in deference to societal expectations of women as chattel. And why is  the sexist practice  of  using the father's last name with children still acceptable? It's not like they're  carrying the child for 9 months and then giving birth- indeed their entire contribution to the new life  may  well be made under a minute.

How about if  boys are named after the mother, and girls after the father- just to  begin evening   things out a bit for a generation or so.   

Edited by ChristyS
typo

43 minutes ago, gummy said:

Wonder if a guy could Wan and a lady with a surname of Ker ever thought of a hyphenated name ?

There's an American manufacturer of electronic test equipment called Wayne-Kerr:
source: http://www.waynekerr.com/site_us/  

Years ago I remember there was a cobbler named Richard Sole.  Always known as R.Sole.
Dunno if he talked cobblers as well?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Years ago I remember there was a cobbler named Richard Sole.  Always known as R.Sole.
Dunno if he talked cobblers as well

Hahaha .. my mate's missus is called Sonya .. she stepped in a dog egg one night which prompted him to say

" Sonya shoe , take em off before you go in the house " .. 

Edited by Dedinbed
Sp
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

There's an American manufacturer of electronic test equipment called Wayne-Kerr:

What's your experience in Essex, James, do you know anyone with a hyphenated surname?

@JamesR

22 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Actually I have worked with many R.Soles over the years

13 minutes ago, Faraday said:

What's your experience in Essex, James, do you know anyone with a hyphenated surname?

@JamesR

I hope he doesn't think me mentioning the cobbler R.Sole had anything to do with his user name?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gummy said:
6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Are there any on here?

None on here of whom I have worked with to my knowledge

That's unusually diplomatic of you.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well it's Sunday

Are you a man of the cloth? Should we be calling you Reverend Gummy?

Or are you just touching cloth...?

Happy Yas GIF by Cartoon Hangover

?

• Haha 1

A true story > In Flanders - the region in my home country where I am from  - there is a well known gynecologist whose name is Piet Uytdebroeck.  Which in UK would be the equivalent of > Willy Outoftrousers and in US something like Dick Outofpants   

That name probably provided some good PR for his female clientele...

What about given names you grow up to loath.

Many years ago I was ordering a self build PC to spec as a surprise for my daughters 18th birthday and speaking to a Dell representative. After a lengthy conversation and going over the spec he said he'd confirm everything by email before processing the order.

An email duly arrived setting out the agreed spec of the PC, signed yours sincerely, Mustapha Khunt.
That guy must have hated his parents.

• Haha 1