List of etiquette and rules in Thailand

Thaiger

Traditions and customs in Thailand differ significantly from the Western world. Since Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country, many of the customs and etiquette in Thai culture are based on Buddhist values. All the etiquette and rules may seem very complex for most foreigners. However, Thai people are generally very relaxed and rarely take offence if a foreigner fails to follow their etiquette. Still, that doesn’t mean that you can have it your way and disrespect the culture. As a visitor, you should at least have a basic understanding of Thai etiquette. It won’t only prevent you from accidentally offending […]

The post List of etiquette and rules in Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That'll be Capt Hook clucked then .. 

Eat with a spoon .. unless it's steak and chips of course .. 

They've forgot rule 15 .. 

Do not finger dig your hooter out in public as that one is a bit of a national pastime for them .. 

IMG_20210806_064910.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

That'll be Capt Hook clucked then .. 

Eat with a spoon .. unless it's steak and chips of course .. 

They've forgot rule 15 .. 

Do not finger dig your hooter out in public as that one is a bit of a national pastime for them ..

Can you finger someone else's hooter?

• Haha 1

Articles like this are just so pathetic.  Every culture can be elevated to make it sound exotic and mysterious. The English can talk about how to make tea and how it’s so important to make it the correct way and served at the right one of day. The reality is as long as it’s wet and warm and served anytime then who gives a fu*k. Thailand is full of this ancient romantic bollocks that in today’s society means nothing.  The Thais are full of KFC, McDonalds, Auntie Annie’s, Tik Tok and Instagram just like the rest of us. Keep the BS for the tourist brochures please. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Articles like this are just so pathetic.  Every culture can be elevated to make it sound exotic and mysterious. The English can talk about how to make tea and how it’s so important to make it the correct way and served at the right one of day. The reality is as long as it’s wet and warm and served anytime then who gives a fu*k. Thailand is full of this ancient romantic bollocks that in today’s society means nothing.  The Thais are full of KFC, McDonalds, Auntie Annie’s, Tik Tok and Instagram just like the rest of us. Keep the BS for the tourist brochures please. 

Not keen on the article then..?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

• Haha 10

44 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Not keen on the article then..?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Total tourist BS mate. The Thais try this all the time. Exotic land of smiles. Please, give me a break. Your average Thai is no different to anyone anywhere in the world. It’s just an advertising and government spin that make it otherwise. “Land of smiles” ??

• Like 4

To be honest, it makes the Thai people look bad when Western media is parrotting these fake hillbilly etiquette rules that absolutely no-one in Thailand actually adheres to.

"Don't expose the bottom of your feet", for example, is utter complete f***ing bullshit. Half of the people in a waiting room are going to sit one leg crossed over the other, with the bottom of the foot exposed and pointing at a dozen people.

Same goes with pointing at things with your finger. I've observed this behavior among all Thais, young and old, male and female. Just yesterday the guard at my building pointed at a lizard he wanted me to see.

Utter trash. Y

• Like 2

1 hour ago, THETRUTH said:

To be honest, it makes the Thai people look bad when Western media is parrotting these fake hillbilly etiquette rules that absolutely no-one in Thailand actually adheres to.

"Don't expose the bottom of your feet", for example, is utter complete f***ing bullshit. Half of the people in a waiting room are going to sit one leg crossed over the other, with the bottom of the foot exposed and pointing at a dozen people.

Same goes with pointing at things with your finger. I've observed this behavior among all Thais, young and old, male and female. Just yesterday the guard at my building pointed at a lizard he wanted me to see.

Utter trash. Y

Well where I live there is an entirely new traditional created that is worthy of note. One of my wife's friends, a charming young lady with magnificent implants always allows me to rub my nose between here breasts. What started as I guess a dare for her to let me do it at a much earlier time has now become the accepted norm when ever there is a "friendly" local party of friends. Now that is worthy of note is it not ?  Perhaps it will become an accepted Isan tradition much like Eskimos rubbing noses ?

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Well where I live there is an entirely new traditional created that is worthy of note. One of my wife's friends, a charming young lady with magnificent implants always allows me to rub my nose between here breasts. What started as I guess a dare for her to let me do it at a much earlier time has now become the accepted norm when ever there is a "friendly" local party of friends. Now that is worthy of note is it not ?  Perhaps it will become an accepted Isan tradition much like Eskimos rubbing noses ?

That is a very good greeting but don't tell the ladyboys. 

On 8/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, Thaiger said:

The Buddha symbol shouldn’t be underestimated

That must be from a Thai perspective.

I'd say 'The Buddha symbol shouldn’t be overestimated, if at all' 

The number of Thais who believe a lucky amulet will protect them - especially when driving.
One of the things that must lead to innumerable accidents - and  fatalities - are due to drivers thinking they're invulnerable when having an amulet.
A better idea would be taking responsibility for their actions and learning to drive, by concentrating on the road to avoid possible accidents.

In 'another posting life' I used to make posts taking the mickey out of them. Things like:
I hear there's a new improved amulet, powered by solar energy. A deluxe solar amulet is being developed using two AA rechargeable batteries, charged during the day time from the sun.
This will allow drunk drivers to get home unscathed at night.

Any potential buyers should send me a donation, the value they choose is entirely up to them, as long as they can spell 'million'. Please donate using your mobile phone and the 'My Gullible Banking App'

What do you expect in this day and age? Someone using the image of a deity to protect them instead of self-responsibility? Get real.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I hear there's a new improved amulet, powered by solar energy. A deluxe solar amulet is being developed using two AA rechargeable batteries, charged during the day time from the sun.

Blimey you know abit about these things so what's happening here with this am' .. 

IMG_20210807_094844.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Blimey you know abit about these things so what's happening here with this am' .. 

IMG_20210807_094844.jpg

Looks like matey's got foot rot there. Those cheaper amulets (less than ten thousand Baht) are only waterproof to less than one fathom.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The number of Thais who believe a lucky amulet will protect them - especially when driving

The Thais think the rear view mirror is just a hook provided by the car manufacturer to hang their Buddha paraphernalia on.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Looks like matey's got foot rot there. Those cheaper amulets (less than ten thousand Baht) are only waterproof to less than one fathom.

I wasn't looking at the feet ..

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, THETRUTH said:

Utter trash. Y

ah the ol 'wanna look at my lizard' routine !

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

He's got two feet. I wasn't looking at the feet either.

Hahaha .. and I'm not sure he is a he as well , an' what's " he " holding ? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

You have obviously not been a member of her Majesty's Armed Forces in the UK. On the first day, after you get your haircut, and pick up your uniform, you are given your first lession on eating etiquette in the canteen.

While uniform, it is an absolute 'no-no' to stick your little finger out when drinking a mug of tea or a pint of water. Of course what is done out of uniform is up to you.

• Haha 2