News Forum - Massive positive changes to Thailand’s visa system from June 1

Thaiger

5-year visas available for digital nomads, boxers and chefs students The cabinet has approved a number of new visa initiatives aimed at attracting more tourists. This includes visa-free and visa-on-arrival schemes, extended stays for students, and a decrease in mandatory health insurance for retirees. The Foreign Ministry suggested these actions due to the country’s significant … …

The story Massive positive changes to Thailand’s visa system from June 1 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

The nuts and bolts are what we want to see.

Aside from the drop in insurance coverage required for one type of visa, it's just adding additional countries and periods of stay.

There is no mention of any changes to the qualifications to get the digital nomad visa, or how freelancers can qualify. Nor are the previously announced taxation rules for people working from Thailand discussed or modified.

The previous requirements were quite onerous.

• Like 1

Looks like fast food for hungry mouth. Just to please the tourism industry TAT is doing something for the sake of doing hopeing that it will work......but will it in reality....yet to be seen....only time will tell. However one thing is for sure, that they are opening the flood gate wider. This could end up more problems in the future for them to control as every Tom, Dick and Harry will be flushed into the country irrespective of their criminal backgrounds.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If visa exempt is now dropped to 1 x a year , it will actually means LESS available visa free travel......and no doubt.....Thailand could do something stupid like that

60 + 30 = 90 days visa free

30+30 x 2 = 120 days visa free a year

I bet this is what they will do.....and then they jack up the price of tourists visa also at all embassies 

--Do you really think Thailand will allow 'tourists' to stay 180 days visa free per year (half the year in the country without any hassle!) -----I doubt it! and only a fee of 3800 baht

Lol wouldn't hold breath on these proposals until the fine print

Edited by hydraides
  • Like 2

Not very clear. Visa on Arrival is what most visitors from the EU, UK, USA, Australia, Canada obtain. It is currently 30 days. If I am reading this correctly, it would mean an increase to 60 days with no additional paperwork.  What is not clear (as per other comments) is how many times this is available in a year.  The Thai consulate websites have not been updated and are still showing 30 days. For example;    https://thaiconsulatela.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-exemption-and-visa-on-arrival-to-thailand

Russians were granted 90 day stays for their Visa on Arrival, so it is not that difficult to provide 60 or 90 days if they want to.   

"Extend the period of visa-free stays from 30 days to 60 days."

I can see that being usefull for many tourists particularly back packers and the like on a gap year travelling round Asia.

On 5/28/2024 at 6:40 PM, hydraides said:

If visa exempt is now dropped to 1 x a year , it will actually means LESS available visa free travel......

Who has suggested visa exempt entry will be dropped to 1x a year? It's 2x a year by land crossings, and there are no limits by air. I have no idea about entry at sea ports. There did used to be ferries from Cambodia, and I imagine they will be resumed.

On 5/29/2024 at 10:06 AM, Vigo said:

Not very clear. Visa on Arrival is what most visitors from the EU, UK, USA, Australia, Canada obtain

You are speaking of visa exempt arrivals, no? Citizens of these countries don't need a visa on arrival for 30 days.