News Forum - Overcoming from depression, stress and anxiety after retirement

Thaiger

Retirement ought to embody a phase of tranquillity and pleasure. However, for numerous individuals, it manifests as an era riddled with apprehension, tension, and melancholy. The abrupt alteration in daily practices, loss of significance, and social seclusion can precipitate a decline in mental health. Comprehending the influence of retirement on mental health is paramount. It … …

The story Overcoming from depression, stress and anxiety after retirement as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is an excellent article, containing some valuable advice for all who retire, here, or anywhere else.  I found the first 2 years after a forced retirement at age 60 very difficult to take.  My company, in line with many airlines, forced retirement of their pilots at that age.  The loss of status, feeling of my own self worth to society and of confidence was unexpected and profound. A family move here at the same time was also unhelpful.

Due to my qualifications gained over the years, I was able to take up some academic work and pursue a long held wish to research and write for professional  journals.  That I think saved my sanity at that time.  Now, some years later, I am ready to throw off most of my current activates and just enjoy not having to do anything I do not want to do. That is a freedom you only get with retirement. Yes, by all means fill in your time with structured activates, like golf etc., but If you just want to sit on the beach all day, read a good book, listen to music and not do much of anything else, well that's alright too, you've probably earned that right.   

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

This is an excellent article, containing some valuable advice for all who retire, here, or anywhere else.  I found the first 2 years after a forced retirement at age 60 very difficult to take.  My company, in line with many airlines, forced retirement of their pilots at that age.  The loss of status, feeling of my own self worth to society and of confidence was unexpected and profound. A family move here at the same time was also unhelpful.

Due to my qualifications gained over the years, I was able to take up some academic work and pursue a long held wish to research and write for professional  journals.  That I think saved my sanity at that time.  Now, some years later, I am ready to throw off most of my current activates and just enjoy not having to do anything I do not want to do. That is a freedom you only get with retirement. Yes, by all means fill in your time with structured activates, like golf etc., but If you just want to sit on the beach all day, read a good book, listen to music and not do much of anything else, well that's alright too, you've probably earned that right.   

Good you were able to pivot to like-minded work when you were forced to retire.

I am only 52yrs old but I sorely need to learn to relax and do nothing...........it's just not in my nature

Sure, I can chill at night after working and being out all day but beyond that, it's hard

I was just in Thailand for 24 days and it's extremely hard for me to relax

My wife's Aunt commented to her that I make her anxious because I never stay still....

I really want to...............

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Good you were able to pivot to like-minded work when you were forced to retire.

I am only 52yrs old but I sorely need to learn to relax and do nothing...........it's just not in my nature

Sure, I can chill at night after working and being out all day but beyond that, it's hard

I was just in Thailand for 24 days and it's extremely hard for me to relax

My wife's Aunt commented to her that I make her anxious because I never stay still....

I really want to...............

Been there and done that, but perspective and available time comes with age.  You are a young man yet and you should feel the way that you do, but at some time, in later life, its great to throw it all off  and just relax, chill and not be committed to any routine or obligations.  Of course, you need to be settled and, importantly, financially secure, but everyone needs that time when nothing much else matters but relaxing and doing only what you want to be assed to do. My friends and I will often spend upwards of 3 hours in a coffee shop, putting the World to rights, then retire to a local beach restaurant to have lunch and continue the meaningless debates for longer. A nap, a swim in the pool, dinner and a fine tropical evening, with no commitments or obligations for the next day.  It's a fine life after a busy career.  

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Been there and done that, but perspective and available time comes with age.  You are a young man yet and you should feel the way that you do, but at some time, in later life, its great to throw it all off  and just relax, chill and not be committed to any routine or obligations.  Of course, you need to be settled and, importantly, financially secure, but everyone needs that time when nothing much else matters but relaxing and doing only what you want to be assed to do. My friends and I will often spend upwards of 3 hours in a coffee shop, putting the World to rights, then retire to a local beach restaurant to have lunch and continue the meaningless debates for longer. A nap, a swim in the pool, dinner and a fine tropical evening, with no commitments or obligations for the next day.  It's a fine life after a busy career.  

I think financial security is one of the most most important things - my income in retirement is pretty much the "average" UK wage (it is also  index linked, so not too many worries there), but with only myself to look after and with a fair size chunk of savings as well it is enough to allow me spend money on my toys (or hobbies if you want) and spend the UK winter months wandering around the warmer climes of South East Asia. I was fortunate enough to be able choose when I wanted to retire and left it until my late sixties, so never got that feeling of being dumped or abandoned. Health is probably the only thing that worries me - my mobility has become restricted because of a failing sense of balance, and the thought of Alzheimers terrifies me, I went to hell and back trying to cope with a parents dementia (in her late eighties).

• Like 1

My advice to anybody coming up to retirement would be to graduate the transition. That was my approach. On of the potential pitfalls is the wife. Many wives are not used to having their hubby around the house and under their feet. Graduating your retirement helps you to adapt to having more free time on your hands and allows your wife to get used to having you at home more.