News Forum - Israeli girl dies in tuk tuk accident on Patong Beach Road

Thaiger

A tragic accident claimed the life of a young Israeli girl on Patong Beach Road last night. Patong police received a report at 10.40pm that a five year old girl, Nbaa Bahnasi from Jerusalem, had fallen from a tuk tuk while travelling with her family on Thaweewong Road. The tuk tuk driver, 51 year old … …

The story Israeli girl dies in tuk tuk accident on Patong Beach Road as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What were the parents doing? They were supposed to make sure that the child is safely seated and secured when travelling. 

• Like 2

"The tuk tuk driver, 51 year old Bunyang Kaewaksorn, explained to the police that he had to brake abruptly to avoid hitting a pedestrian crossing the road. This sudden stop caused Nbaa to fall from the back of the vehicle and onto the road, where she was struck by a car travelling behind."

This would seem to be against all the laws of physics as heavy braking would throw someone forward towards the cab rather than back and out of the tuk tuk. (I am assuming it was a songthaew as that is what is pictured with the story).

• Like 3

"In related news, the tuk tuk driver who overcharged a group of Japanese tourists has been summoned for further questioning on the incident following a swift response from transportation authorities. The driver demanded a fare of 1,500 baht per person for a short journey from Asoke to Thanon Thaniya, totalling a hefty 6,000 baht for the four passengers."

And with regular stories like this T.A.T. wonder why for every 2 steps forward they are pushed 1 step back.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ChrisS said:

This would seem to be against all the laws of physics as heavy braking would throw someone forward towards the cab rather than back and out of the tuk tuk. (I am assuming it was a songthaew as that is what is pictured with the story).

That was my initial thought, as well.  This driver's explanation just doesn't make sense.  Sounds like a poorly thought excuse to avoid liability for the child's death.

11 hours ago, ChrisS said:

(I am assuming it was a songthaew as that is what is pictured with the story).

That's a tuk-tuk.  Too narrow to be a song thaew. I realize that BKK has those that are more of modified motorcycle, but I've never seen that style of tuk-tuk anywhere but BKK.  In the rest of the country that I've traveled in, tuk-tuks are generally small Daihatsu trucks, or similar, like the one in the picture.

• Like 1

RIP to the young girl it just goes to show in life you never know when your numbers going to get punched.