Government bans suncreens in National parks

gummy

Thailand on Wednesday announced a ban on sunscreen in its national parks.

The move is aimed at helping to limit damage to coral reefs.The ban on sunscreen has been published in the Royal Gazette, confirming it has now passed into law. Anyone who violates the sunscreen ban faces a fine of up to 100,000 baht, the announcement said. The Department of National Parks said the law was passed as sunscreen had been found to be damaging to coral reefs and marine life. The ban affects all sunscreens which include the chemicals Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, 4-Methylbenzyl and Butylparaben.

So looks like sunhats will become the voque

It's not all sunscreens, just the ones containing those ingredients.

Thailand is not alone in this ban.  Actually, they're much later than some other countries. The other countries/regions that currently have full or partial sunscreen bans are Mexico, the USA (Hawaii, Key West, U.S. Virgin Islands), Bonaire, Aruba, and Palau. If you are traveling to one of these areas, be sure to bring a reef-safe sunscreen, which is what the Thai government wants you to do now.

I actually don't think they've gone far enough.  They ban it in national parks, but it should be banned everywhere in the country in order to be truly effective.

Edited by MrStretch

About time - that stuff is toxic to wildlife. 

And I am not sure that putting most of those sunscreens on your skin is a good idea either. They are always coming up with better sunscreens with chemically engineered ingredients that absorb into the skin - but the best ones are those that 'sit on' the skin and block UV - those with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide nanoparticles in them.  Australia is very much at the leading edge on sunscreens - for obvious reasons - so check what is approved in Australia and the odds are good it is OK and it will work well too.  

• Like 1

Plastic waste and unregulated fishing boats are probably doing more direct damage than microlevels of sunscreen diluted in vast oceans. 

10 minutes ago, PatrickSatoLee said:

I'm wondering how will they enforce this ? they check your face and skin ? 

They test a strip of paper out of your pocket. If it shows any colour other than Red, Purple or Grey you could be in trouble.

1 minute ago, BuffaloWhisperer said:

They test a strip of paper out of your pocket. If it shows any colour other than Red, Purple or Grey you could be in trouble.

wow, seriously or you kidding me ? i have no idea, but it is nice to know they have a method to test. 

• Haha 1