Volunteering in Thailand

I am planning to visit Thailand again. On this particular trip, I first want to volunteer with SOI DOG FOUNDATION for a few days. Once my volunteer work is over, I want to spend the remainder of my time in Thailand with friends. If I want to do this, what options do I have? Thanks :)

8 hours ago, rollie1962 said:

I am planning to visit Thailand again. On this particular trip, I first want to volunteer with SOI DOG FOUNDATION for a few days. Once my volunteer work is over, I want to spend the remainder of my time in Thailand with friends. If I want to do this, what options do I have? Thanks :)

First and foremost > praise to you for a very commendable intent to volunteer for the Soi Dog Foundation.

But in case you plan to apply for or already have a Non Imm O Visa, you should inform yourself very well beforehand, because Immigration laws prohibit doing any work - even unpaid - when you are on a 'retirement' Visa, the rationale being that 'you are taking away work from Thais'.  

There is an option to apply for a Volunteer Visa, but that can only be done through a specialized and recognized Thai organization when already in Thailand and it is rather expensive.  Reason being that when wanting to stay long-term in Thailand that such Volunteer visa are sometimes used by those not meeting the Immigration criteria (e.g. under 50, not married to a Thai national) for a Non Imm O Visa. 

>> However, if it is NOT your intention to stay long-term in Thailand and are simply coming on holiday there would be no problem combining Volunteer work with your vacation.

Let me know how long you intend to stay in Thailand and whether you are married to a Thai national and I will gladly provide you with an overview of all the options you have.  Note that the longest tourist stay would be 9 months.  

Cheers!

You will need a work permit. Best thing to do if you want to help is to donate, or buy food, but working and volunteering is considered 'work' here,  is out. If you really want to help , do as I do and feed the soi dogs that live in the jungle areas. away from main habitations.  A lot of Thais and farangs carry food and water in their cars to do this.  Those that don't agree with doling this can fxxx right off. 

Volunteer Visas have been under severe scrutiny from Thai Immigration for the past couple of years expect a few hurdles if you plan to go down this route. 

But fair play Bud from one dog lover to another.