News Forum - Jomtien Beach’s Songkran splash sees a dip in tourists

Thaiger

Jomtien Beach in Chon Buri experienced a noticeable dip in the usual influx of visitors during the recent Songkran celebration. The local businesses situated in the area attribute this decline to the newly introduced one-way traffic system, which they believe has puzzled and deterred potential tourists. Poolsawat Singhsawasdi, a vendor operating on the beachfront, expressed … …

The story Jomtien Beach’s Songkran splash sees a dip in tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Surely you don't mean DRIVERS being confused with one-way traffic, so it must be pedestrians that have trouble. They must be pretty dumb to not be able to acknowledge that vehicles are on the road and either heading towards them (get out of the way) or trying to run them down from behind (also get out of the way).

Having shown my preference for drivers, I now look at what I see in our big city and can honestly say it is amusing. Most drivers can't spell roundabout, let alone drive through one.

The entire Chonburi area lost a large number of quality cash paying tourist over the last 9 days of Songkran.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viggen840 said:

Having shown my preference for drivers, I now look at what I see in our big city and can honestly say it is amusing. Most drivers can't spell roundabout, let alone drive through one.

For more than 15 years my wife and I have been arguing about how to enter and drive through and out of a roundabout.  To Thais, it's just a circular intersection.  Stop! Stop! Defeating the intended purpose of a roundabout.

I fail to understand the reasoning of the person quoted in this article about how one-way traffic is responsible for a downturn in tourists.  It's a specious argument, at best.

The public is being bullied and woman and girls are sexually abused in the name of Songkran. For sure every decent family will stay away from such hooligans. When they submit Songkran to be considered as an heritage festival to UNESCO, they failed to inclued this sexual abuse and violence as part of the current Songkran culture. If they had done it, then it would be perfect to reflect the exact current situation. No point in grumbling now. Let all the shop and business owners go after and whack those who are turning a peaceful and enjoyable Songkran into a chaotic and violent event. If one person is whacked by 100 people, then the charges are not severe. No point in waiting for law and enforcement to take its path. Sometimes such incidents need instant act to nip in the bud. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

The public is being bullied and woman and girls are sexually abused in the name of Songkran. For sure every decent family will stay away from such hooligans. When they submit Songkran to be considered as an heritage festival to UNESCO, they failed to inclued this sexual abuse and violence as part of the current Songkran culture. If they had done it, then it would be perfect to reflect the exact current situation. No point in grumbling now. Let all the shop and business owners go after and whack those who are turning a peaceful and enjoyable Songkran into a chaotic and violent event. If one person is whacked by 100 people, then the charges are not severe. No point in waiting for law and enforcement to take its path. Sometimes such incidents need instant act to nip in the bud. 

I've detailed my wife's and her friend's incidents of sexual abuse at local Songkran events. . 

But if you think seeing those pictures of how mad Songkran was this year all around the country will deter tourists you may be a bit out of touch

Those images of Songkran this year would be very attractive to tourists 

On the local news in Pattaya today large numbers of Thai's and Foreigners reporting thefts during the 9 day's of Songkran. 

• Like 1