News Forum - Scientists: Earth’s spinning faster

Thaiger

Scientists warn of a peculiar predicament: Earth’s rotation is hurtling towards a potential adjustment, offsetting the delicate dance of seconds, minutes, and hours as we know them. Duncan Agnew, lead author of the study and a distinguished geophysicist hailing from the hallowed halls of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San … …

The story Scientists: Earth’s spinning faster as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So what would be the impact on our daily life? Just getting older by few seconds....right? Doe is going to change the entire world to be a better living place without curruption,bribery, war, Rape, murder....etc..etc...nothing will change. 

5 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

So what would be the impact on our daily life? Just getting older by few seconds....right? Doe is going to change the entire world to be a better living place without curruption,bribery, war, Rape, murder....etc..etc...nothing will change. 

In the advanced world, precision devices rely on exact times.Imprecise times impact medical treatments, measuring devices and scientific and engineering  instruments

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vigo said:

In the advanced world, precision devices rely on exact times.Imprecise times impact medical treatments, measuring devices and scientific and engineering  instruments

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression there's no risk of it impacting time calculation precision.

It sounds like the only effect it would have is shift the time the sun rises and sets by infinitesimal amounts. Maybe an hour after a few million years or so.

Even though the matter is interesting, let's not give Samantha Rose credit for posting anything else than clickbait.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Scientists warn of a peculiar predicament: Earth’s rotation is hurtling towards a potential adjustment, offsetting the delicate dance of seconds, minutes, and hours as we know them. Duncan Agnew, lead author of the study and a distinguished geophysicist hailing from the hallowed halls of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San … …

The story Scientists: Earth’s spinning faster as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

My watch has been acting weird lately. That could be a reason.

14 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm under the impression there's no risk of it impacting time calculation precision.

It sounds like the only effect it would have is shift the time the sun rises and sets by infinitesimal amounts. Maybe an hour after a few million years or so.

Even though the matter is interesting, let's not give Samantha Rose credit for posting anything else than clickbait.

I am not an expert in engineering so I can only repeat what better educated people than me have said;

- Earth's rotation can impact gyroscopes and inertial navigation.

-Time precision impacts space activity, including navigation of  spacecraft, and their transmissions. As an aside,  I have watched Apollo 13 several times and marvel at how lucky the astronauts and engineers were. Any errors or being off calculation would have resulted in death.

I have a hard time grasping the  the importance of a  second, but apparently it matters.  I doubt it matters for regular joes like me though. Obviously the followers of Thai Time never got the memo. 😄