best restaurants in asok?

dj230

9 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for the best restaurants in asok?

Terminal21 has dozens of restaurants but how many are open?  The best of which cuisine?  Tripadvisor may be your best starting point as there's hundreds of eating places in the area, make a short-list then come back here for advice.

• Like 1

It (as expected) is closed right now. But my favorite is a food market - Ruam Sab Market - on Asoke Montri Road (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ruam+Sab+Market/@13.7444931,100.5613982,269m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x30e29f1e6e996bb9:0x3383716c9b049379!2sTerminal+21!8m2!3d13.7379509!4d100.560382!3m4!1s0x30e29ee561b08959:0x15a206b163f8ff7!8m2!3d13.7443781!4d100.561789) There's a booth in the back with the best pad gaprao.

In T-21 I like See Fah on the 4th floor. Legit Thai food and great place for people watching...

I don't like the T-21 food court at all. The only thing it's got going for it is it's cheap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Terminal21 has dozens of restaurants but how many are open?  The best of which cuisine?  Tripadvisor may be your best starting point as there's hundreds of eating places in the area, make a short-list then come back here for advice.

There has to be a few must try restaurants though in sukhumvit area / go to places 

Could get takeout or I can wait until they open but I’m pretty much fresh off the plane

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

It (as expected) is closed right now. But my favorite is a food market - Ruam Sab Market - on Asoke Montri Road (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ruam+Sab+Market/@13.7444931,100.5613982,269m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x30e29f1e6e996bb9:0x3383716c9b049379!2sTerminal+21!8m2!3d13.7379509!4d100.560382!3m4!1s0x30e29ee561b08959:0x15a206b163f8ff7!8m2!3d13.7443781!4d100.561789) There's a booth in the back with the best pad gaprao.

In T-21 I like See Fah on the 4th floor. Legit Thai food and great place for people watching...

I don't like the T-21 food court at all. The only thing it's got going for it is it's cheap.

how does Siam paragon/central world area compare to terminal 21 in terms of food? 

cheap is good, I like cheap food, the fast food here has some crazy deals, kfc 200 baht food panda specials? 6 pieces of chicken and 14 chicken balls would cost $20 in Canada, maybe $15 on sale 

I noticed the portion sizes are a lot smaller for local food in Thailand vs Toronto but it’s also way cheaper. When I order Thai food I usually get 2 dishes 

27 minutes ago, dj230 said:

There has to be a few must try restaurants though in sukhumvit area / go to places 

Could get takeout or I can wait until they open but I’m pretty much fresh off the plane

how does Siam paragon/central world area compare to terminal 21 in terms of food? 

cheap is good, I like cheap food, the fast food here has some crazy deals, kfc 200 baht food panda specials? 6 pieces of chicken and 14 chicken balls would cost $20 in Canada, maybe $15 on sale 

I noticed the portion sizes are a lot smaller for local food in Thailand vs Toronto but it’s also way cheaper. When I order Thai food I usually get 2 dishes 

Good food is everywhere. I have never eaten in any of the fast food chains in Bangkok. You can get so much better and cheaper on the street. Paragon used to have a decent food court but they started bringing in branches which are pretty pricey and not as good as the main shops. It's still not bad. I think the best food is around Phrom Phong. There's amazing street food on the S. side of Sukhumvit right under the BTS station. The food court at Em Quartier is pretty good and not overpriced. Plus they have a great selection of sit-down places, which are pricier. There's also a really good street restaurant at Soi 37, ImChan, which is a real bargain. Also lunch time along Soi 33 has a lot of selections.

I tend to go for street food or food courts unless my S.O. is buying. Then she gets to pick...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Good food is everywhere. I have never eaten in any of the fast food chains in Bangkok. You can get so much better and cheaper on the street. Paragon used to have a decent food court but they started bringing in branches which are pretty pricey and not as good as the main shops. It's still not bad. I think the best food is around Phrom Phong. There's amazing street food on the S. side of Sukhumvit right under the BTS station. The food court at Em Quartier is pretty good and not overpriced. Plus they have a great selection of sit-down places, which are pricier. There's also a really good street restaurant at Soi 37, ImChan, which is a real bargain. Also lunch time along Soi 33 has a lot of selections.

I tend to go for street food or food courts unless my S.O. is buying. Then she gets to pick...

Haha, I had to try the exclusive items to thailand, corn pie was pretty good from mcdonalds, i'll probably give up on fast food once I move to central bangkok. Thinking of moving to sukhumvit/asok so i'll probably end up trying all those recommendations

Hows the food safety with street food / thai restaurants in general?

14 minutes ago, dj230 said:

Generally fine with a few exceptions.  Take some charcoal tablets if you feel like you ate some dodgy seafood from a market or otherwise.  Good rule of thumb regardless of what you order, have them cook it and heat it up in front of you, as its likely been sitting there for a few hours if not all day.

Edited by TiT

1 hour ago, TiT said:

I always preferred the Terminal 21 food court.  Simple, cheap, tasted fine.

thanks for the suggestion

1 hour ago, TiT said:

Generally fine with a few exceptions.  Take some charcoal tablets if you feel like you ate some dodgy seafood from a market or otherwise.  Good rule of thumb regardless of what you order, have them cook it and heat it up in front of you, as its likely been sitting there for a few hours if not all day.

Just curious, is there some sort of health/safety regulation in thailand? I'm guessing not

maybe more popular restaurants might be more sanitary, this is one of teh reasons i eat fast food

Edited by dj230

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

I've never had a problem anywhere in the country. Down south you can pick your seafood out of the tub it's swimming in at a lot of places. Like anyplace, try around and find your favorite vendors and restaurants. You'll get some "tells" that you'll use to decide whether other restaurants are any good in the future.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorn, Sukhumvit 26 - Two Michelin Stars

Paste, Gaysorn shopping mall near Chidlom, so not exactly Asoke, but close enough - One Michelin Star

Edited by js89
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only food you're going to be getting at the moment is from FoodPanda or Grab , Street Food, or  takeout from the restaurants; you're not allowed to eat in at the moment unless you're policemen.

There are a few street food vendors that hang out at the far end of Soi Cowboy, and if you head out in the mornings in the side soi's you'll see other vendors around till 8:30 or so.

Otherwise its pretty dead around here in Asok.  Terminal 21 was completely shut last weekend, didn't bother popping by this weekend to check if its open.