News Forum - New Zealanders in hot water after assaulting Thai officer in Phuket

Thaiger

Two New Zealanders, who physically assaulted a Thai police officer on Chao Fah East Road in Phuket on Saturday were charged with five offences and face a lifetime ban from entering Thailand. The incident occurred when a traffic officer from the Chalong Police Station, Somsak Noo-iad, asked two foreign men, later identified as 36 year … …

The story New Zealanders in hot water after assaulting Thai officer in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Now what would have happened if these goons had tried the same thing in their home country of New Zealand?

This smacks of a racist mindset that the people, and in this case a police officer, are less of a human than those that committed these atrocious acts.

In other recent discussions, it has been pointed out that these incidents, just like the Fuhr incident, incites a mistrust and even a hatred among locals for people that look like these two.  It doesn't matter if you are a la-abiding, respectful farang, there are still many Thais that will give you the side eye because you will be painted with the same brush as these white idiots.

• Like 2

IMO, Thai cops are trigger happy and quick to pull their guns. These 2 may have been in fear of their lives and the recorded actions look more like they were in over their heads and were keeping the cop from shooting them. No argument that they were in the wrong for speeding and alleged attempted bribery.  For that alone they should be sanctioned, but keep in mind  Thai  cop behavior. There is always a shoot out at the Ok Corral somewhere in Thailand because this place has more guns than much of the western world (excluding the USA) and it has  gun violence to show for that.

• Like 4

I don't know what's more shocking that they assaulted The Policeman or that one off them was actually wearing a helmet whilst riding a rented bike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Well done!. This is the result of too luch leniency in the name of tourism money. Earlier they attack Thais for no reason. And no action taken except some taps on the wrist. So it went next level against local police. I am sure there will be apologies in the name of misunderstanding and flower basket exchange and golden handshake. And next would be against the army. Good luck to you Thailand. 

As a NZ resident of phuket an Thailand I an ashamed at this behaviour . In NZ they would have received a bit of rough justice ( or would have in my day) no bail an a good sentence in court. Which I hope they get here.

On behalf of other Kiwis here I apologize for their behavior an support the Royal Thai Police in their actions. 

• Like 1

Other news is reporting that the brother's parents are millionaire business and property owners.  The father is quoted as saying "The family is very distraught.  We're praying for a good outcome."  Perhaps he was misquoted and actually said paying as opposed to praying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is crazy! They broke the law in Thailand, they need to face their legal charges here in Thailand. Don't let people get away with crazy behavior like this, you'll just set a precedent.

• Like 2

Whow, this guy lost face. Not just the gun.

Usually they would need to take this guys in for a long time.

Just to prevent this kind of behavior is happening again.

6 hours ago, bushav8r said:

The father is quoted as saying "The family is very distraught.  We're praying for a good outcome." 

For me a 'good outcome' would be for this pair to do a couple of years at least of the 15 they COULD get in a Thai jail. Maybe that will teach them something their parents clearly did not teach them. Respect for other people particularly when you are a guest in their country. Taking an officers gun discharging it (even if accidentally) and waving it about they are lucky they were not shot dead at the scene.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vigo said:

IMO, Thai cops are trigger happy and quick to pull their guns. These 2 may have been in fear of their lives and the recorded actions look more like they were in over their heads and were keeping the cop from shooting them. No argument that they were in the wrong for speeding and alleged attempted bribery.  For that alone they should be sanctioned, but keep in mind  Thai  cop behavior. There is always a shoot out at the Ok Corral somewhere in Thailand because this place has more guns than much of the western world (excluding the USA) and it has  gun violence to show for that.

I wouldn't agree with that

I see all kinds of bad behavior that the cops put up with, without pulling their guns

These guys were evading a stop

Perfectly reasonable for the cop to pull his gun, IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jasper said:

I wonder what would happen if this incident was in Singapore versus Thailand?

The police officer would not have been so arrogant as to have tried to take down 2  buffoons on his own, screw up and then draw his firearm, only to be disarmed.   There would have been an organized  and professional police response to this event.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't agree with that

I see all kinds of bad behavior that the cops put up with, without pulling their guns

These guys were evading a stop

No it is not reasonable.. The behaviour you may see is not relevant to this case. Unless there was a direct physical risk to himself, or these were violent  criminals, there are more appropriate methods, and the RTP uses them as per my nightly viewing of the news.  Backup was on its way and he should have waited before trying to save face or whatever his motivation was.  I note the alleged attempt to bribe him and his  refusal. If correct, then he deserves respect and the benefit of the doubt as he may have just been doing what he thought was right at the time. I won't second guess as I wasn't there and he may have been in fear of his life. Thai cops almost always wait for assistance before intervening as per the nightly crime news.

17 minutes ago, Vigo said:

No it is not reasonable.. The behaviour you may see is not relevant to this case. Unless there was a direct physical risk to himself, or these were violent  criminals, there are more appropriate methods, and the RTP uses them as per my nightly viewing of the news.  Backup was on its way and he should have waited before trying to save face or whatever his motivation was.  I note the alleged attempt to bribe him and his  refusal. If correct, then he deserves respect and the benefit of the doubt as he may have just been doing what he thought was right at the time. I won't second guess as I wasn't there and he may have been in fear of his life. Thai cops almost always wait for assistance before intervening as per the nightly crime news.

As you said, we weren't there so we don't really know the true and full story

I know I wouldn't do what they did to a police officer (and I've been arrested more times than I'd like to share)

So I wouldn't end up going to a Thai jail like these 2 guys likely will be.. ...

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

know I wouldn't do what they did to a police officer (and I've been arrested more times than I'd like to share)

Im curious now Marcus, Only once for failure to pay taxes? Or was it Drunk driving? But "more times" usually means twice at least, Was it Fraud? you seem to be well versed in spreading fraudulent points of view.

Anyway im happy the cops got them before they did the same to some unexpecting tourist later on.

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

One of the tourists panicked and overreacted to an angry cop bellowing at them in either broken English or a language he didn’t understand while reaching for his gun. He nullified a perceived threat to their lives because he was scared. He didn’t shoot the cop, he disarmed him. They didn’t run away, they waited for more cops to arrive and went peacefully. 

• Like 2

Time to make an example of these idiot foreigners who ride and drive with no International Driver's Licene's and break the law for drink and drug driving. Add assaulting a Police Officer, Resisting Arrest, Firearms Offences through grabbing the Officer's Firearm, Public Endangerment, the gun went off, luckily no one was injured or killed. These two idiots need to be fined hundreds of thousands of baht and need a 10 years in the Bangkok Hilton as lesson to them and others that this behavior is not acceptable and will not be tolerated by Thailand's Police or People. We're in their country, we need to obey their Laws and abide by their Customs and have Respect for their People and Culture. If you can't do that, go elsewhere, where in this case, you would have been shot and killed or jailed for life. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Im curious now Marcus, Only once for failure to pay taxes? Or was it Drunk driving? But "more times" usually means twice at least, Was it Fraud? you seem to be well versed in spreading fraudulent points of view.

Anyway im happy the cops got them before they did the same to some unexpecting tourist later on.

I've paid more taxes than you could ever imagine in your lifetime x10

Just lots of fighting as a younger kid.....

Oh and every arrest I never put up a fight or caused an issue

You ain't winning an argument or a fight with a cop

I guess even at a young age, I was smarter than these guys 

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

One of the tourists panicked and overreacted to an angry cop bellowing at them in either broken English or a language he didn’t understand while reaching for his gun. He nullified a perceived threat to their lives because he was scared. He didn’t shoot the cop, he disarmed him. They didn’t run away, they waited for more cops to arrive and went peacefully. 

Still not reasonable actions by them, by any means

What they perceive is irrelevant vs what is lawful and they broke the law

The simple matter is the police are allowed to draw their weapons 

They Kiwis broke the law.....

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes they did. However, New Zealand isn't a gun culture and it is reasonable to understand that they were spooked by the copper drawing his firearm.  You lived in Canada, and you know the cops don't act like that. When that crazy incel guy ran down people in Toronto, the Toronto traffic cop ran up to him and took him down without drawing his weapon. In the USA or Thailand the cops would have unloaded their magazines and reloaded to fire again. No one is justifying criminal behaviour or being a jerk on a motorbike.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Who really knows the fear factor? We weren’t there. They broke the law and stuffed up badly. Jail is extreme when a fine and compensation keeps everyone happy. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1