News Forum - Concerns over readiness of Thailand’s secondary cities for tourism

Thaiger

The private sector has expressed concerns over the readiness of Thailand’s secondary cities for a major tourism boost, despite Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin’s declaration that 2024 will be “the greatest year for Thai tourism in history.” These concerns were voiced during a recent tourism workshop at the Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre, where the 62 … …

The story Concerns over readiness of Thailand’s secondary cities for tourism as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A smart move would be to improve the road surfaces on the existing roads, before the government promotes the secondary tourist hotspots. The route from Kamphaeng Phet to Nahkon Sawan is dangerous in many parts and requires resurfacing correctly, patching up is a joke as it does nothing bat apply a sticking plaster over a gaping wound. The road surface over the bridge at Kamphaeng phet is a case in point. Tourists put up with quaint things but COMFORT is way above quaint, sort it out lads.

I believe Srettha is placing way too much emphasis on bring other people's money into the country, in the form of tourism and foreign companies building facilities in the country, and not nearly enough on long-term, sustainable programs like better education, vocational training and upskilling of Thai youth and Thai workers.

Otherwise, anything similar to the last pandemic will sink Thailand into a financial quagmire.  And without that long-term approach, Thailand is never going to be competitive against its regional neighbors in the future.

The idea of promoting "secondary cities", which aren't "primary cities" for good reasons, is just an increase in short-sightedness, if there is such a thing.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I believe Srettha is placing way too much emphasis on bring other people's money into the country, in the form of tourism and foreign companies building facilities in the country, and not nearly enough on long-term, sustainable programs like better education, vocational training and upskilling of Thai youth and Thai workers.

Otherwise, anything similar to the last pandemic will sink Thailand into a financial quagmire.  And without that long-term approach, Thailand is never going to be competitive against its regional neighbors in the future.

The idea of promoting "secondary cities", which aren't "primary cities" for good reasons, is just an increase in short-sightedness, if there is such a thing.

Flooding the country with non-natives is also a way for this globalist puppet to further the destruction of his nation, as advised by his good friends no doubt.

"In the first appearance of a Thai prime minister at the Forum in 12 years, Prime Minister Srettha said he would be willing to work with anyone on the goal of deepening Thailand's integration in the global arena. WEF founder Klaus Schwab made a point of welcoming Thailand back to Davos and said it is a positive sign for the Thai economy."
https://washingtondc.thaiembassy.org/en/content/at-davos-prime-minister-srettha-commits-to-growth

download.jpeg.180ad62459c281aa8f4c5e5ed6f7d5a3.jpeg

• Like 1

It's time to stop this MORE, MORE, MORE  madness. All around the world mass tourism and the uncontrolled development that comes with it, is destroying vital ecosystems and contributing to global warming. I live in Phuket and have seen the island change drastically since 1998 when I first visited. The once laid back tropical paradise has experienced unregulated development and the attendant problems this creates. ENOUGH tourists already  !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Newseeker said:

It's time to stop this MORE, MORE, MORE  madness. All around the world mass tourism and the uncontrolled development that comes with it, is destroying vital ecosystems and contributing to global warming. I live in Phuket and have seen the island change drastically since 1998 when I first visited. The once laid back tropical paradise has experienced unregulated development and the attendant problems this creates. ENOUGH tourists already  !!

So you are allowed to live and enjoy a tropical moment, or many such moments,  but nobody else is allowed that experience?  How very generous minded of you. 

• Confused 1

No need any additional infra to develop secondary cities into tourists hub. Just build one " Soi 6" in each secondary city. It will be automatically become a tourists hub very fast. It also help those locals from different provinces to go back to their province to earn a living. No need to travel all the way to Pattaya to earn something and left with nothing end of the day. 

5 hours ago, Pinetree said:

So you are allowed to live and enjoy a tropical moment, or many such moments,  but nobody else is allowed that experience?  How very generous minded of you. 

I did find that a funny post 

No one else can enjoy my paradise!

1998 Phuket was well and already a tourist hotspot @Newseeker

Yes, it's gotten more congested but you chose to live in the most tourist place in all of Thailand 

This is a classic case of not reading or (understanding) the gist of the point I was trying to make. it's not about me . I was commenting on the wider damage mass tourism is causing all around the world. I was merely using Phuket as an example, having witnessed the changes over the past 25 years or so. You will never meet an environmental scientist who thinks this madness is sustainable 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I did find that a funny post 

No one else can enjoy my paradise!

1998 Phuket was well and already a tourist hotspot @Newseeker

Yes, it's gotten more congested but you chose to live in the most tourist place in all of Thailand 

I have loathed Phuket for years, and loathed is no exaggeration. From the crap airport,  to its not very good hotels, to its below standard restaurants, to its unfriendly people,  to its over pricing, it's many scams and its criminality.  They can send all the tourists there for me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I have loathed Phuket for years, and loathed is no exaggeration. From the crap airport,  to its not very good hotels, to its below standard restaurants, to its unfriendly people,  to its over pricing, it's many scams and its criminality.  They can send all the tourists there for me. 

I do understand people not liking it

It was the 1st place I went and I lived there for a bit

I go back often for short stays, in Kamala 

I have a lot of friends there

But we just stay in Kamala and maybe Surin beach during the day

But we don't move around the island much 

My wife has a night out in Kathu at her old boss' house