News Forum - Phuket authorities seek dissolution of Swiss man’s Green Elephant Foundation

Thaiger

Phuket‘s provincial authorities, led by Governor Sophon Suwannarat, are seeking the dissolution of the Green Elephant Wildlife Foundation. Swiss expat Urs Fehr registered the foundation, which is now under investigation after a series of controversies. The announcement came after Governor Sophon’s return from promoting Phuket at the International Tourism Bourse (ITB Berlin 2024). His first … …

The story Phuket authorities seek dissolution of Swiss man’s Green Elephant Foundation as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

MONEY LAUNDERING what's the first thing that came to mind. Swiss cheese is simply NOT the kind of character that gives a sh#t for anything but his own wretched self.

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Note to self.  Don't piss off the locals.

I think the locals have been up in arms against him since he first dared to open the elephant park.  His downfall was certain when he caught the attention of certain members of the  government.

The different officials better do something quickly to close the case and burry the file before it spills out a can of worms as it seems that there are multiple ripple effects in the making.....

1 hour ago, TSS said:

work visa revoked- howz about the retirement or marriage visa?

I can't imagine that Immigration would approve any visa for this man.  At this point, or at any in the future.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 2:36 AM, ChrisS said:

Good to see that this piece of shite will be booted out.

For being rude and not so clever?

How many more articles are going to be published about that story? It has probably been more than 20 already on Thethaiger. Is this Swiss guy Thailand's biggest problem those days? Is there any other more important issues in this country that disserves 20+ articles?

I think you're exaggerating Manu but there is a reason there are more than a few stories.  This guy is a foreigner.  Most of the people on this forum are foreigners.  This is of interest to us, because it is what happens and how Thais treat a foreigner when something goes awry.

We don't identify with the Thai man who killed his Thai wife at the dam. We don't identify with the Thai woman that was tortured by the Thai corporal and her husband.  We don't identify with the Thai man that was stabbed in his stomach with a pair of scissors by his Thai wife.  We don't identify with the Thai rice that has been in storage for 10 years.  Why?  Most of us aren't Thai.

We share something with this miscreant Swiss man because in some ways, most of us can identify with the way that he is vilified by Thais and Thai society,  and looked down upon, because he's a foreign man that is being much more harshly persecuted than if a Thai man had kicked that doctor.

12 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

I think you're exaggerating Manu but there is a reason there are more than a few stories.  This guy is a foreigner.  Most of the people on this forum are foreigners.  This is of interest to us, because it is what happens and how Thais treat a foreigner when something goes awry.

We don't identify with the Thai man who killed his Thai wife at the dam. We don't identify with the Thai woman that was tortured by the Thai corporal and her husband.  We don't identify with the Thai man that was stabbed in his stomach with a pair of scissors by his Thai wife.  We don't identify with the Thai rice that has been in storage for 10 years.  Why?  Most of us aren't Thai.

We share something with this miscreant Swiss man because in some ways, most of us can identify with the way that he is vilified by Thais and Thai society,  and looked down upon, because he's a foreign man that is being much more harshly persecuted than if a Thai man had kicked that doctor.

Isn't it the same in every country?

The US was outraged over an illegal immigrant killing a college student

While there were many cases that week alone of US citizens killing and raping kids and barely a word in the press

Visitors/immigrants, etc will always be spotlighted more than everyday citizens

That's just how society works.....

And to a point, I don't entirely disagree

My wife and I were immigrants in Canada for a long time and if we did something illegal, I think they would have a right to ask us to leave 

Isn't what the same in every country?  Xenophobia?

The killing in the US was made a point of for political purposes, though the illegal immigrant population in the US is statistically far less likely to commit a crime in the country.

Manu was just asking why there were "so many" stories about his incident, I was just answering that question.  Not sure why but it seems you've chosen me as your debate foil, no matter what I say or why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrStretch said:

Isn't what the same in every country?  Xenophobia?

The killing in the US was made a point of for political purposes, though the illegal immigrant population in the US is statistically far less likely to commit a crime in the country.

Manu was just asking why there were "so many" stories about his incident, I was just answering that question.  Not sure why but it seems you've chosen me as your debate foil, no matter what I say or why.

No not at all, sorry if it feels that way

I actually enjoy your input and opinions....keep them coming 

Even when we disagree, I feel your opinions are pretyy rationale and gives me something to think about

Again, apologies if it comes off any other way

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RudiA said:

For being rude and not so clever?

For using unprovoked violence against a woman!

19 hours ago, Manu said:

How many more articles are going to be published about that story? It has probably been more than 20 already on Thethaiger. Is this Swiss guy Thailand's biggest problem those days? Is there any other more important issues in this country that disserves 20+ articles?

The second component to why the article has gained so much traction, is because the story has evolved from a minor incident of assault, into a much larger story of illegal land acquisitions and alleged fraud.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MrStretch said:

With the relaxation of visa requirements and the influx of tourists, we can expect to see more stories of foreigners behaving badly. Anutin will come out with his usual admonitions, oblivious to the fact that his policies abet the types of behaviour he’s preaching to eradicate.

23 hours ago, MrStretch said:

I get your point and I am also tge same as you a foreigner in Thailand etc… but I don’t feel at all what you describe, this story over reported makes 0 difference in my life in Thailand’s society whatsoever and I am really struggling to understand how it does to anyone. It is just a social media story over inflated as usual by tge thaiger that in a couple of weeks or so nobody will remember and move on . I asked just now 6 Thai people about it not one of them knew what am I talking about. Too much thaiger’s forum convince you it is, tge real world out in Thailand doesn’t. Just a thethaiger forum bs with no impact nor meaning in the Thailand I live in.

13 hours ago, Khunmark said:

The second component to why the article has gained so much traction, is because the story has evolved from a minor incident of assault, into a much larger story of illegal land acquisitions and alleged fraud.

20+ articles in a few days.., that’s the only issue of Thailand. Sometimes I wonder if people in this forum know anything about Thailand and the main issues here. 

1 hour ago, Manu said:

Too much thaiger’s forum convince you it is,

As one who worked as a journalist for 20 years, earlier in my life, Thaiger's forum doesn't convince me of anything, except that some who participate in it have inflated opinions about their own opinions.

Nothing more.

3 hours ago, Manu said:

I get your point and I am also tge same as you a foreigner in Thailand etc… but I don’t feel at all what you describe, this story over reported makes 0 difference in my life in Thailand’s society whatsoever and I am really struggling to understand how it does to anyone. It is just a social media story over inflated as usual by tge thaiger that in a couple of weeks or so nobody will remember and move on . I asked just now 6 Thai people about it not one of them knew what am I talking about. Too much thaiger’s forum convince you it is, tge real world out in Thailand doesn’t. Just a thethaiger forum bs with no impact nor meaning in the Thailand I live in.

I mean it's being discussed and handled at the highest levels of Thai government, so that is the Thailand real world

My wife certainly knew all about it here in Canada so it had reach

But I agree with you that I don't think it would have any real effect on an expat

Just keep being nice and you won't have any issues

Especially expats that are known in their community

No ones going to treat you any different because of this incident