News Forum - Foreign man kicks up a storm over discriminatory bike rental policy in Phuket

Thaiger

A foreign man brought to light a discriminatory practice at a foreign-owned motorcycle rental shop in Phuket. The shop refused to serve his Thai wife and other Thai customers, justifying their decision by alleging that Thais frequently engage in motorcycle theft, complain excessively, and are unable to meet the necessary deposit requirements. The foreign man, … …

The story Foreign man kicks up a storm over discriminatory bike rental policy in Phuket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

56 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The shop refused to serve his Thai wife and other Thai customers, justifying their decision by alleging that Thais frequently engage in motorcycle theft, complain excessively, and are unable to meet the necessary deposit requirements.

Whining farang. The guy runs a business not a public service so go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

I'd bet dollars to donuts that in his home country businesses can choose not to accept custom from people they deem likely to steal from them, as long as they aren't a protected class.

Don't understand why he thinks a Thai business can't do the same.

This is the problem with the mentality of some westerners who think that they are special similar to their currency value. They forgot to realize that,may be their country's currency migh have higher trade value against Thai baht. But definetly he don't have any value in Thailand. If he really value himself towards his Thai wife, he could have just buy a motorcycle for her. Why wated to rent each time? Unless they are visiting the island for vacation. 

• Confused 1

I have been told directly of such things over the decades regarding similar types of incidents where the security guard in hotels check the ID cards of Thai women entering the hotel with Farang men even thought they are married/partners and had checked in together earlier.

It has never happened to me or my partner, the only thing in common with the ID check I found out over time is the fact all of the women in the stories I was told were all from Isaan.

I see there is a huge social hierarchical system in Thailand with people from Isaan being regarded as being at the bottom of the stack and are thus treated so, it is a fact, I am not agreeing with the situations but it is there. 

I see it is the same sort of situation with the British embassy etc, my partner obtained here visa to live in England within a day, I have been told that for Issan women it is much more difficult and they have to chump though hoops to get one. 

6 hours ago, PhuketBloke said:

I have been told directly of such things over the decades regarding similar types of incidents where the security guard in hotels check the ID cards of Thai women entering the hotel with Farang men even thought they are married/partners and had checked in together earlier.

It has never happened to me or my partner, the only thing in common with the ID check I found out over time is the fact all of the women in the stories I was told were all from Isaan.

I see there is a huge social hierarchical system in Thailand with people from Isaan being regarded as being at the bottom of the stack and are thus treated so, it is a fact, I am not agreeing with the situations but it is there. 

I see it is the same sort of situation with the British embassy etc, my partner obtained here visa to live in England within a day, I have been told that for Issan women it is much more difficult and they have to chump though hoops to get one. 

Sounds like you kinda just wanted to take a shot at Issan women 5555

PS....My wife is not from Issan

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 10:35 PM, Marc26 said:

Sounds like you kinda just wanted to take a shot at Issan women 5555

PS....My wife is not from Issan

No, I was just trying to give a reason for the problem with the motorbike hire and the discrimination by one Thai group to another, what I said is true, I was giving an example of how Issan women are regarded in Thailand by other Thais.

I did not mention your wife or where she was from so I don't know why you mentioned that.

If I remember rightly you said previously she was from a village to the southeast of Bangkok.

Edited by PhuketBloke
typo

The discrimination may have been illegal. The man was not whinging. If the woman could not meet the rental credit or licensing requirements, ok. However, if she was excluded solely on basis of nationality, it was wrong.

15 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The discrimination may have been illegal. The man was not whinging. If the woman could not meet the rental credit or licensing requirements, ok. However, if she was excluded solely on basis of nationality, it was wrong.

It is hard to say as the owner of the business is there to make money, maybe he has experience of being ripped off by Thai customers, it is hard to guess.

Most if not all people who live in Phuket and ride a bike own it, Whenever I pass the numerous motorbike rental shops I only see foreign tourists renting from them.

When I was much younger and used to go into nightclubs back in England they had "bouncers" standing at the entrance and they could say who were allowed to enter with no explanation needed.

24 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Another thought came to mind.

When we go to some attractions, an aquarium for example we have to pay double the price as we are farangs, I don't think there are any discrimination laws in Thailand, if so they are openly flouted in our case.  

Plus I have heard Thais who have said to farangs if they did something they disagreed with such remarks as, "You are farang, you go home to your country".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PhuketBloke said:

1 hour ago, PhuketBloke said:

No, I was just trying to give a reason for the problem with the motorbike hire and the discrimination by one Thai group to another, what I said is true, I was giving an example of how Issan women are regarded in Thailand by other Thais.

I did not mention your wife or where she was from so I don't know why you mentioned that.

If I remember rightly you said previously she was from a village to the southeast of Bangkok.

I'm just taking the piss....

And I mentioned my wife wasn't from Issan to just prove I had no reason to be offended

And there is a caste system in Thailand, and anyone from any province will be down on the list if they are poor 

As for the visa....

A person from Isaan with the deemed right credentials will be granted a visa, just as anyone else in the country 

My stepson is an honors student in one of the best Universities in Thailand 

His stepdad makes pretty decent money 

His Mom owns a house and makes pretty decent money in Thailand 

And he got refused a visa.... 

The criteria is never set in stone 

A lot of times in the US Embassy in Bangkok, I think it comes down to sheet jealousy, IMO