Thai Booze Royal Rumble - Lao Khao vs. Bia vs. Sato vs. Ya Dong vs. Whiskey vs. Rum

ThaiFoodGuy

I have Celiac disease and can't consume booze (or anything) made from wheat, so beer and whiskey are mai dee for me.

Personally, I love SangSom with soda. I can drink it virtually anytime, anywhere. Not a hangover in sight.

However, a typical "night on the Soi" in Bangkok or somewhere in the south would look like a couple SangSomSodas ti Baan. Go for dinner, another couple tableside SSS's followed by one or two glasses of "wai khao" or "wai wai" (white wine for the uninitiated) to go with the food. Another couple glasses of SSS so I don't have to take the bottle with me. If I'm in a mood I may ask if there is a bottle of Yadong lying around which could be offered as a digestif.

If I'm in CM or Isaan, I generally lean toward asking for Lao Khao, and generally I'm pleased with the outcome. I really don't see what's worse or different between decent Lao Khao and Sake - including the rituals associated with drinking them or sipping along with finger food or "ahaan gap glaem".

Overall, my champion is SangSom Soda. But I hope I can broker a tag team contract with Lao Khao.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for information on how to make my own beer. I have been making wine for a few years but the colour is not right. If any of you could help me, I would be very grateful!

22 hours ago, Stewart said:

I am looking for information on how to make my own beer. I have been making wine for a few years but the colour is not right. If any of you could help me, I would be very grateful!

I remember, pre-pandemic, seeing a website and even a supplier for home brewing supplies and techniques.  A little research on your part would surely find it.

But that's off topic.

As to ThaiFoodGuy's question, I have to admit, because I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes a couple of years ago (which I attribute to years of drinking too much inferior alcohol and eating too much superior food), all of the above are pretty much off my drinks menu these days.

But I was a SangSom and soda, or even a SangSom, on the rocks for sipping, kind of guy.

On 3/3/2024 at 6:58 PM, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I have Celiac disease and can't consume booze (or anything) made from wheat, so beer and whiskey are mai dee for me.

Personally, I love SangSom with soda. I can drink it virtually anytime, anywhere. Not a hangover in sight.

However, a typical "night on the Soi" in Bangkok or somewhere in the south would look like a couple SangSomSodas ti Baan. Go for dinner, another couple tableside SSS's followed by one or two glasses of "wai khao" or "wai wai" (white wine for the uninitiated) to go with the food. Another couple glasses of SSS so I don't have to take the bottle with me. If I'm in a mood I may ask if there is a bottle of Yadong lying around which could be offered as a digestif.

If I'm in CM or Isaan, I generally lean toward asking for Lao Khao, and generally I'm pleased with the outcome. I really don't see what's worse or different between decent Lao Khao and Sake - including the rituals associated with drinking them or sipping along with finger food or "ahaan gap glaem".

Overall, my champion is SangSom Soda. But I hope I can broker a tag team contract with Lao Khao.

The thought of drinking shitty white wine in Thailand already gives me a headache 5555

Although hopefully Thailand is starting to see better wines now that the excise tax was abolished 

I am a beer guy and I love Thai beers

I switch one night I drink Chang and the next I drink Singha

But I do like SangSom and coke

If we are outside at a restaurant a lot of times my wife and I drink Aperol Spritz, it is so refreshing 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:20 AM, Marc26 said:

The thought of drinking shitty white wine in Thailand already gives me a headache 5555

Although hopefully Thailand is starting to see better wines now that the excise tax was abolished 

I am a beer guy and I love Thai beers

I switch one night I drink Chang and the next I drink Singha

But I do like SangSom and coke

If we are outside at a restaurant a lot of times my wife and I drink Aperol Spritz, it is so refreshing

I've had some very nice wines at decent prices from Wine Connection, and from The Barrel in Chiang Mai. Sometimes the only thing I can get my hands on is Mont Clair from Seven Eleven though, which will do in a pinch but definitely needs ice to water down the piss flavour.

Aperol Spritz is a go-to for my wife as well. I was impressed recently with the advancement of cocktail offerings all over Thailand.

9 hours ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Aperol Spritz is a go-to for my wife as well. I was impressed recently with the advancement of cocktail offerings all over Thailand.

It's certainly come a long way