News Forum - Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district

Thaiger

A 73 year old Swiss cyclist, was tragically killed in a hit-and-run accident on Sukhumvit Road, in the Sattahip district of Chon Buri, late on Sunday night. The local police received a report of the incident around 11.30pm, near the vicinity of tambon Na Jomtien. On arrival, they found the senior cyclist in an unconscious … …

The story Elderly Swiss cyclist killed in hit-and-run in Sattahip district as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These foreigners are already very old to cycle at night in busy streets. Why can't they stay at home like most elderly Thais at this age? if they wanted to cycle the cycle in a safe place away from busy streets. 

• Like 1

Why is this Thai newsworthy?

The random and odd Farang stranger. What...? 

As we continue down the path of gossipy, trivial, tabloid and over sensationalized events. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

These foreigners are already very old to cycle at night in busy streets. Why can't they stay at home like most elderly Thais at this age? if they wanted to cycle the cycle in a safe place away from busy streets. 

It's nothing much to do with age.  Cycling at night here is extremely dumb, at any age. It's a dangerous enough occupation in daylight, at night it's near suicidal. What I see almost everyday are cyclists, some of them clearly serious riders, but with no hi-vis, no lights and often in dark fashion cycling gear.  That is clearly idiotic. I guess at least they will look stylish lying on a slab in the morgue.  

• Like 1

We do not know how the cyclist was dressed or what safety features he had. However, I  expect that the person was appropriately set up for his ride. The reason why some people cycle in the evening is that the temperature is lower and the impact of the sun absent. There is less traffic as well.   The fact is that the driver hit the cyclist, slowed down and then took off. This tells me that the driver knew what he had done and was such a spineless coward that he/she ran away.  It could just as easily have been a motorcycle or a pedestrian that was hit, so rather than blame the "cyclist"  I hold the driver responsible. Hit and run is a vile characteristic in Thailand and until the drivers are severely punished for it, the action will continue.

• Like 4