Government says it’s okay to criticise them, if it’s fact based

Thaiger

It’s okay to criticise the government, such as the Health Minister who recently suggested huge crowds of people were an optical illusion. It is also okay to demand the government get more vaccines, and faster, as long the criticisms are based on facts, said government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri and the Deputy Spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek, yesterday. The recent government order forbidding the dissemination of fake/distorted news, and fearmongering brought with it the threat of censorship if the order is violated. Today, representatives from 6 Thai media associations sent an open letter to PM Prayut Chan-o-cha at the Government House. The open […]

The post Government says it’s okay to criticise them, if it’s fact based appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Ok. They aren't stupid, but they are just out of luck when they're ought to be thinking.

Prove me wrong because it's fact based. :))))

Edited by BookShe
  • Like 1

“Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.”
– Aristotle

So why are they criticised?

• Like 6

Ok then where to start ...oh dear best not. Self censoring is the most pernicious form of insidious censorship. Could I say that Uncle Tuu is the best of songwriters....It is a fact that coups on average take place every 7 years  and therefore we are due for one. Can I say that ?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

It’s okay to criticise the government, such as the Health Minister who recently suggested huge crowds of people were an optical illusion.

as he's afflicted and we in Gov' just nod alot and humour him she rabbited on .. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

“Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.”
– Aristotle

So why are they criticised?

LEAR

How? Nothing will come of nothing. Speak again.

Incidentally rumours are flying on twitter - Pravit from Khaosod above is spinning one particular one which may or may not be true. 

Yeah, some may think its fun but we know whats going on. Its not really interesting watching several aged, blokes trying to outdo each other in the 'most cutting insult' stakes now is it? Or is it? If it is, its not the forum for me? Once its been said, its been said.

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Incidentally rumours are flying on twitter - Pravit from Khaosod above is spinning one particular one which may or may not be true. 

Whats new?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Government says it’s okay to criticise them, if it’s fact based

Where can I get a doctor's certificate questioning the sanity of our illustrious leader?

• Haha 1

Just now, Bluesofa said:

Where can I get a doctor's certificate questioning the sanity of our illustrious leader?

Kao san road.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think that we non Thai's,  who either live or come here regularly, need to remember that at the end of the day, we are guests. Yes as stated, fair criticism based on fact, is, apparently not a problem. 

In which case, there is plenty for us guests to make respectful (can still be sarcastic), legitimate criticism. The opportunities are endless.

Of course, we should always remember that, the art of being a good guest is knowing when to leave.

• Like 2

FAKE NEWS, REAL NEWS, FAKE DEATHS – AND A PANICKY THAI GOV’T

If you cannot control COVID-19 outbreak, then try controlling people’s perception about the outbreak instead. This is what the government of Gen Prayut Chan-ocha is desperately trying to do.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2021/07/31/fake-news-real-news-fake-deaths-and-a-panicky-thai-govt/

• Like 2

This is like a trap door. Its ok - Will you walk into my parlor? Said the spider to the fly.

Or its like going to play in a lions den. For some reason even if it is factual the words defamation charge(s) or National Security issue come to mind.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BIGGLES said:

I think that we non Thai's,  who either live or come here regularly, need to remember that at the end of the day, we are guests. Yes as stated, fair criticism based on fact, is, apparently not a problem. 

In which case, there is plenty for us guests to make respectful (can still be sarcastic), legitimate criticism. The opportunities are endless.

Of course, we should always remember that, the art of being a good guest is knowing when to leave.

The administration now and those previously I suspect have got an entirely different definition of what a good tourist is, guests by your reckoning.  There is one specific item that tops all other conditions here in Thailand and that is money. Just like Thais with wealth can get away with murder the same holds true for guests, it just costs more for "guests" than locals. A good tourist is one that spends lots of money here. Purely an extension of the double pricing policy, nothing more nothing less. So the art of being a good guest is not knowing when to leave at all, it is knowing that only money spent in the kingdom will earn you the title of a "Good" guest.

Love you loads PM, you the man! 

Whenever i see you on tv, i am reminded of the Tina Turner classic "Simply the Best". 

p.s. not really!! Fainlights, fainlights, can't touch me. 

• Haha 1

General elections are expected to be held in Thailand no later than 23 March 2023.

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

It’s okay to criticise the government,

I bet that will change in the lead up to the next elections. Mind you that is only my opinion, not fact.

26 minutes ago, Martin said:

Love you loads PM, you the man! 

Whenever i see you on tv, i am reminded of the Tina Turner classic "Simply the Best". 

p.s. not really!! Fainlights, fainlights, can't touch me. 

What are 'fainlights?'

3 hours ago, billybob said:

LEAR

How? Nothing will come of nothing. Speak again.

I mean, what have you got to lose?
You know, you come from nothing
You're going back to nothing
What have you lost? Nothing
Always look on the right side of life - Monty Python 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Poolie said:

What are 'fainlights?'

It was a word used by kids years ago when playing.  A sort of magic word which protected you from any further attacks when you were playing a game. Childish yes, but we were just kids! Sums up this administration admirably though...immature. 

10 minutes ago, Martin said:

It was a word used by kids years ago when playing.  A sort of magic word which protected you from any further attacks when you were playing a game. Childish yes, but we were just kids! Sums up this administration admirably though...immature. 

I see. So a sometime used word by a bunch of kids sums up the current administration?

Right.

OK, you want some truth? In terms of making sense of what is going on, you need policy, competent ministers with experience in the fields their ministries are in charge of, and at least a tiny amount of vision and planning. Prayuth lacks every pre-requisite. So do most of his ministers. Especially Anutin and Pipat. Likely the two least qualified and least effective of the lot. One would think during a national emergency, a skilled and talented tourism and  health minister would be considered important. 

He does not inspire confidence, as he has no follow up in his game, is highly insincere, and is grossly incompetent and under qualified for the job. One would think after 6 plus years he has had time to learn. That does not appear to be the case. He is a terrible leader. 

This kind of national emergency is real proof that Thailand should never allow another coup to happen. With a civilian government that is democratically elected, and a truly representative body in the senate, Thailand at least has a chance of qualified ministers being appointed based on merit and talent. 

With Prayuth and this army, there is little chance of this ever happening. They are re-defining the words cronyism and inept on a daily basis. 

Where is the anger? I am becoming furious at the incompetence and the AA (army apathy). Am I the only one? For many, the near future looks very dim. Tourism is not returning anytime soon, and most know that, despite what the goons continue spouting on about.

Nobody knows how high unemployment is right now. I suspect it is over 30% nationwide. Alot of hurt right now. Alot of pain for the locals. I really feel for them. Where is the hope? Where is the promise of a rosy tomorrow? What is the future of the nation? 

Seven years of regression, combined with a stunning degree of mismanagement, ineptitude, lack of vision, and inability to even get the vaccine program right, is leading to alot of desperation at this time.

I cannot be punished, as all of this it true. However we know what you actually meant, Prayuth. What you actually meant is:

You cannot criticize us, on any level, for anything! Ever! Am I understood? However, since the worldwide media, social media, and the Guardian are now publishing highly critical articles, about the oppression, suppression, and repression we are inflicting upon the citizens and ex-pats of this nation, the heinous punishment we are handing out, and we are taking more egg on the face than we care to, we will issue a "statement of clarification", so nobody "misunderstands us, or our noble intentions".

We are despots, and there is no length we will not go to, to make it seem otherwise. However, we do not want the world talking about us. That is a bridge too far. Damn, I sure wish the media, social media, and the news agencies did not exist. They make life so complicated for me, when I am always having to justify my behavior! Can't you guys just leave us alone?

• Like 3