Thai with proper USA Visa need proof of accommodation?

My Thai friend (she is employed with theThai government) got her VISA to visit the USA in 2022 just before visiting her friend in the USA.  She had to provide all the document,s etc. and recalls that she had the trip planned and even though she was going to stay wirth her friend (a Thai who married an American and lived in the USA for many years) she had to provide proof of a hotel in the USA.  (She then cancelled it when arrived and stayed with her friend.)

Her VISA for the USA is for 10 years and she wants to visit again soon.  She will stay with me and I assume she will not need any proof of accommodation from a hotel - but maybe some sort of letter from me or maybe she just needs to provide my address?

I have done some searching and cannot find anything..

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

One very lucky pooying!

I told my wife, her immediate response was,

”your embassy is effed up”

Last year i was successful to get my wife a B1/b2 visa but was denied for my step daughter (27) who also is a Govt employee, owns a house & car  .

The embassy didnt even look at the mass amounts of paperwork to verify that she wasn’t a overstay risk.

Congrats to your friend 

4 hours ago, Dezmo said:

My Thai friend (she is employed with theThai government) got her VISA to visit the USA in 2022 just before visiting her friend in the USA.  She had to provide all the document,s etc. and recalls that she had the trip planned and even though she was going to stay wirth her friend (a Thai who married an American and lived in the USA for many years) she had to provide proof of a hotel in the USA.  (She then cancelled it when arrived and stayed with her friend.)

Her VISA for the USA is for 10 years and she wants to visit again soon.  She will stay with me and I assume she will not need any proof of accommodation from a hotel - but maybe some sort of letter from me or maybe she just needs to provide my address?

Thoughts?

A letter from you and copy of your passport wouldn't hurt

My wife is on her 2nd US 10 year visa and has probably entered the US over 50 times

And I don't think they have asked her any questions at all

Maybe once or twice....

3 hours ago, riclag said:

One very lucky pooying!

I told my wife, her immediate response was,

”your embassy is effed up”

Last year i was successful to get my wife a B1/b2 visa but was denied for my step daughter (27) who also is a Govt employee, owns a house & car  .

The embassy didnt even look at the mass amounts of paperwork to verify that she wasn’t a overstay risk.

Congrats to your friend 

My stepson got denied last year as well in Bangkok(notoriously hard)

Really just foolish

As you said, I provided all types of paperwork they didn't bother to look at 

His Mom has a 12 year history of extensive travel to US 

He is an honors student at Thammasat going into his final year of school 

No reason he'd leave that....

Anyways he just got Permanent Residence in Canada 

So when he applies at the US Consulate in Vancouver as a PR of Canada, he will almost assuredly get it 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

A letter from you and copy of your passport wouldn't hurt

My wife is on her 2nd US 10 year visa and has probably entered the US over 50 times

And I don't think they have asked her any questions at all

Maybe once or twice....

So it should be ok for my Thai friend with her 10 year Visa?

Nothing special needed...?

I can provide her a copy of my Passport too :)

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

We always load up with documents when my wife flies to Canada or the US

And never really need them, but always good to have 

I was living in Canada on a work permit for 11 or 12 years, so would have applied for 4 work permits in that time

I always disclosed an arrest I had when.I was 19yrs old on my applications

I still got thrown in Customs and aggressively questioned about it, but I had copies of my past applications to show I had disclosed it

You never know if the customs officer woke up on the wrong side of the bed....

So never hurts to load up on paperwork 

So maybe bring your address 

Passport copy(Yours)

Her last pay stub(show she's employed)

Rent lease or house deed(shows she is likely going back)

I bet none of it will be needed but the address is needed but always helps

5 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Oh and a big one is copy of her return ticket back to Thailand 

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Oh and a big one is copy of her return ticket back to Thailand 

Thanks... she has all that and her Police ID :)

On 1/21/2024 at 11:16 PM, Marc26 said:

We always load up with documents when my wife flies to Canada or the US

And never really need them, but always good to have 

I was living in Canada on a work permit for 11 or 12 years, so would have applied for 4 work permits in that time

I always disclosed an arrest I had when.I was 19yrs old on my applications

I still got thrown in Customs and aggressively questioned about it, but I had copies of my past applications to show I had disclosed it

You never know if the customs officer woke up on the wrong side of the bed....

So never hurts to load up on paperwork 

So maybe bring your address 

Passport copy(Yours)

Her last pay stub(show she's employed)

Rent lease or house deed(shows she is likely going back)

I bet none of it will be needed but the address is needed but always helps

Do you know if my Thai friend who has a 10 year usa visa might need a separate visa for Canada? 

We might go to Niagara....

37 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Do you know if my Thai friend who has a 10 year usa visa might need a separate visa for Canada? 

We might go to Niagara....

Yes she absolutely needs a separate visa to go to Canada

Has she been to Canada in the last 10 years?

If so, she would qualify for the new eTA

If not she would need to apply in Thailand for a visitors visa

Now she can use her 10yr US visa to travel to Mexico if you wanted to go on vacation there and show her a new country 

24 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes she absolutely needs a separate visa to go to Canada

Has she been to Canada in the last 10 years?

If so, she would qualify for the new eTA

If not she would need to apply in Thailand for a visitors visa

Now she can use her 10yr US visa to travel to Mexico if you wanted to go on vacation there and show her a new country 

Thanks.  We will check into it.

On 1/20/2024 at 7:21 PM, Dezmo said:

Thoughts?

Thoughts ?, buy a ticket to Mexico and cross the border illegally, she will be let straight in.👍

And if she lies and claims asylum she might get free food and accommodation

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Thoughts ?, buy a ticket to Mexico and cross the border illegally, she will be let straight in.👍

And if she lies and claims asylum she might get free food and accommodation

Do you have to ruin every thread?

The guy is looking for information 

There are many threads you can post your nonsense 

Don't be a dick and interrupt people's threads looking for information 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Do you have to ruin every thread?

The guy is looking for information 

There are many threads you can post your nonsense 

Don't be a dick and interrupt people's threads looking for information 

It's a joke Marc, But sometimes the truth hurts, I know. Im just putting out a suggestion if she gets refused, she has nothing to lose in the current administrations handling of the US border.👍

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Thaidup said:

It's a joke Marc, But sometimes the truth hurts, I know. Im just putting out a suggestion if she gets refused, she has nothing to lose in the current administrations handling of the US border.👍

Again

Stop being a dick and ruining threads when people are trying to get information 

What are you 15yrs old???

You are the rest of the mor*ns have countless threads for your nonsense 

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

On 1/20/2024 at 7:39 PM, riclag said:

Just out of curiosity why WOULD the Embassy look at "the mass amounts of paperwork"?

On 1/20/2024 at 7:21 PM, Dezmo said:

Thoughts?

I can give you a pretty authoritative answer.

There is no REQUIREMENT for any type of proof of hotel when she visits (and there wasn't to get the visa initially, either; actually what she did was a bad idea in the unlikely event anyone compares her visa application to what she actually did... never ever lie).

The most important thing in ANY interaction -- embassy visa interview, talking to CBP Officers at port of entry -- is that what she says makes sense, that she can articulate it well, and that it's within the boundaries of reasonable tourist travel.

35 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

There is no REQUIREMENT for any type of proof of hotel when she visits (and there wasn't to get the visa initially, either; actually what she did was a bad idea in the unlikely event anyone compares her visa application to what she actually did... never ever lie).

The most important thing in ANY interaction -- embassy visa interview, talking to CBP Officers at port of entry -- is that what she says makes sense, that she can articulate it well, and that it's within the boundaries of reasonable tourist travel.

So my friend obtained her 10 year visa but apparently heard (maybe online) that she would need proof of accommodation on arrival so booked a hotel even though she was staying with her friend.  On arrival in San Francisco  she showed the hotel resevevation upon being  asked where she was staying.  Thinking back then she may not have needed it and she just cancelled later on arrival to San Diego.l anyway.

10 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

I would push back on that

My wife is on her 2nd 10yr visa and still gets asked where she is staying.

Now they don't grill her

She will say "Hilton New York" or something and they never ask her to elaborate 

By the way, I am a US citizen that lives in Canada and travel to US frequently and I am asked where I am staying from time to time

Asking where you are staying is one the most comon questions a border agent will ask you 

So I'd always advise anyone to have their accommodation information handy, it doesn't hurt 

Now technically they may not deem you inaccessible because you didn't provide your accommodation information but a lot will ask for it and things go a hell of lot easier if you have that information 

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I would push back on that

My wife is on her 2nd 10yr visa and still gets asked where she is staying.

Now they don't grill her

She will say "Hilton New York" or something and they never ask her to elaborate 

By the way, I am a US citizen that lives in Canada and travel to US frequently and I am asked where I am staying from time to time

Asking where you are staying is one the most comon questions a border agent will ask you 

So I'd always advise anyone to have their accommodation information handy, it doesn't hurt 

Now technically they may not deem you inaccessible because you didn't provide your accommodation information but a lot will ask for it and things go a hell of lot easier if you have that information 

Thanks  

I intend to give her a copy of my passport and she will bring her police ID and bank statement. I'll be at airport to get her too 😉

1 hour ago, Dezmo said:

Thanks  

I intend to give her a copy of my passport and she will bring her police ID and bank statement. I'll be at airport to get her too 😉

My stepson just got his permanent residence in Canada

So obviously a step above work permits and visas 

But he has to do his "landing " still in Canada to officially be a permanent resident 

And I will still load him up with documents 

A letter

My bank statement 

Etc.... 

My MIL just landed in December on a new eTA visa

I was with and sitll took all sorts of documents 

They didn't ask her one question 

But I had the doctor ready

Never hurts to be prepared

Where do you live in the US and when is she coming??