News Forum - Koh Samui set for tourism boost with influx of cruise liner visits

Thaiger

Surat Thani province’s popular resort island, Koh Samui, is expecting a significant boost in tourism this year, with 47 cruise liners set to dock and unload around 25,000 international travellers, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT). As stated by Kanokkittika Kritwuthikorn, TAT’s director for Koh Samui, the majority of these tourists will be … …

The story Koh Samui set for tourism boost with influx of cruise liner visits as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

29 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Tourist parts of the island is way over crowded. This will eventually kill the place.

there are a couple of factors at play here.

Thailand spends a lot of time pooping in it's own nest - the normal policy for ALL tourist areas is untrammelled development - Samui is well on the way to becoming a lump off concrete in the Gulf..

THe other factor is the effects of cruise ship tourists.It is slightly different form  the usual "package" holiday makers on the island. We can be sure that Samui has made no real adjustments to the infrastructure to cope 

Samui will receive about 2.2 to 2.3 million tourists this year, against 50,000 cruise tourists - so even if that increases it isn't a huge percentage of the total. Yet TAT say Forty-seven cruise liners have already been scheduled to visit Koh Samui in Surat Thani province this year, bringing at least 25,000 passengers to the southern resort island.... so no big change then?

the next thing to consider is what the cruise tourists want and what they do.

Most are day visitors only

THey also don't travel around the island very much with many not venturing much beyond Nathon.

Others will book short tours - eg ziplinig, going to the top of the island or a few want to spend time on the beach.

THese numbers are quite small.

However in Nathon is is a shot in the arm for a lot of local businesses, massage parlours, restaurants,  souvenir and clothes shops all benefit from the groups of wandering tourists with money to burn and no idea of normal costs. I notice some restaurants even have "special" menus that come out when the ships are in port

1 hour ago, TSS said:

that'll be a good spot for the cruise ships to dump the poop tanks

Only the Russian, Chinese leisure vessels still do that. In fairness to the big western  cruise lines, they have onboard sewage processing that puts the Thai sewage processing  system to shame.

6 hours ago, TSS said:

that'll be a good spot for the cruise ships to dump the poop tanks

What makes you say that? As pointed out, modern cruise ships don't do that, but even the most stupid captain would dump out at sea not at port...if he did, he would immediately be held to account

On 1/14/2024 at 12:04 PM, cowslip said:

there are a couple of factors at play here.

Thailand spends a lot of time pooping in it's own nest - the normal policy for ALL tourist areas is untrammelled development - Samui is well on the way to becoming a lump off concrete in the Gulf..

THe other factor is the effects of cruise ship tourists.It is slightly different form  the usual "package" holiday makers on the island. We can be sure that Samui has made no real adjustments to the infrastructure to cope 

Samui will receive about 2.2 to 2.3 million tourists this year, against 50,000 cruise tourists - so even if that increases it isn't a huge percentage of the total. Yet TAT say Forty-seven cruise liners have already been scheduled to visit Koh Samui in Surat Thani province this year, bringing at least 25,000 passengers to the southern resort island.... so no big change then?

the next thing to consider is what the cruise tourists want and what they do.

Most are day visitors only

THey also don't travel around the island very much with many not venturing much beyond Nathon.

Others will book short tours - eg ziplinig, going to the top of the island or a few want to spend time on the beach.

THese numbers are quite small.

However in Nathon is is a shot in the arm for a lot of local businesses, massage parlours, restaurants,  souvenir and clothes shops all benefit from the groups of wandering tourists with money to burn and no idea of normal costs. I notice some restaurants even have "special" menus that come out when the ships are in port

Although I like Samui, I've never felt it's the tropical paradise that many think it is

But I don't think much of Thailand is a tropical paradise that people seem to think it is

20 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Although I like Samui, I've never felt it's the tropical paradise that many think it is

But I don't think much of Thailand is a tropical paradise that people seem to think it is

not quite sure what that has to do with cruise ships

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

not quite sure what that has to do with cruise ships

You literally commented on Samui in a similar fashion....

You are so <deleted content>

You.....

"Thailand spends a lot of time pooping in it's own nest - the normal policy for ALL tourist areas is untrammelled development - Samui is well on the way to becoming a lump off concrete in the Gulf.."

Edited by BigHewer
Profanity removed

45 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You literally commented on Samui in a similar fashion....

You are so <deleted content>

You.....

"Thailand spends a lot of time pooping in it's own nest - the normal policy for ALL tourist areas is untrammelled development - Samui is well on the way to becoming a lump off concrete in the Gulf.."

So what has your comment got to do with cruise ships? I'm pointing out that they are not prepared for them because this is the way that Thai;and organises (or doesn't) its tourism.

You appear to be making  some kind of judgement about whether Samui is worth visiting.

keep up!

The wastewater that the cruise ship uses is heavily treated. It is either discharged into the water in designated areas of the ocean or released onshore into the local water treatment system.

yeah my bad-the poop and pee will be heavily treated 🤣

19 hours ago, cowslip said:

So what has your comment got to do with cruise ships? I'm pointing out that they are not prepared for them because this is the way that Thai;and organises (or doesn't) its tourism.

You appear to be making  some kind of judgement about whether Samui is worth visiting.

keep up!

You are so god damn boring 

Weird and anti-social expat misfits are the only negative I've had in Thailand in the 20 years going there

And unfortunately Thailand attracts so many misfits like yourself 

I'm not going to bother getting into your ridiculousness 

Forgot that I shouldn't respond to your banal nonsense 

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Weird and anti-social expat misfits are the only negative I've had in Thailand in the 20 years going there

You seem to be trying to bluster your way out of the hole youve dug forself - pitiful to witness.

"you're boring" - the last time I heard that was a fourteen year old girl arguing with her parents - she had an excuse though.

PS - you still haven't said anything about cruise ships - but I guess you now realise you haven't got anything to say so resort to ad hom?

On 1/16/2024 at 7:17 PM, Marc26 said:

How nice of you to answer!