News Forum - Illegal labour crackdown in Phuket ensnares 30 Chinese men

Thaiger

Yesterday in Tambon Thepkrasattri, an enclave in Phuket, Thailand, police apprehended 30 Chinese men on charges of illegal labour. The detained, aged between 24 and 59 years old, were caught in the act, with 12 of them arrested at a construction site in Baan Pa Khlok Cheep, and the remaining 18 along Wong Chalerm Village … …

The story Illegal labour crackdown in Phuket ensnares 30 Chinese men as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why are the authorities going after the workers? Just go after the contractor or company which is doing the construction. If they never employ, then these people will not be working illegally. 

On 12/21/2023 at 12:11 PM, Ramanathan.P said:

Why are the authorities going after the workers? Just go after the contractor or company which is doing the construction. If they never employ, then these people will not be working illegally. 

I've lived in Phuket 20 years I don't think I've seen any contractor get arrested, most of these contractors are orbortor's also 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I've lived in Phuket 20 years I don't think I've seen any contractor get arrested, most of these contractors are orbortor's also 

That makes the most sense, actually. If the said illegally activity is somewhat hidden or approved by way of local councils or associated local mafias [in numerous cases, one-n-the-same], more often than not the power circles at the tambon and provincial levels are receiving some sort of cut. Not a terribly common practice anymore, as the honour among thieves practice is waning and most associated business is up and up. 

• Like 1

Thailand is finding out a big chunk of the Chinese "tourists" who entered in 2023 are unemployed looking to overstay and work in Thailand.

Which would be "shocking news", given that the primary reason the Chinese tourist numbers are not up to the projections is exactly because of the economic slowdown and unemployment in China.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 5:11 AM, Ramanathan.P said:

I think the answer to that is simple, nice big brown envelopes.