News Forum - Hot pot buffet shifts to cashless payments from January 2024

Thaiger

The renowned Hot Pot Buffet restaurant chain announced a shift in its payment methods, heralding the onset of a cashless society. As of January 1 next year, customers in Thailand can no longer pay with cash but must opt for credit card payments or QR code scanning. As society becomes increasingly cashless, many businesses have … …

The story Hot pot buffet shifts to cashless payments from January 2024 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fast way to bankruptcy.  I would not go to any retail outlet that didn't take cash.  Cashless society I don't think so.  Thailand works on cash, usually in small bills and coins. Maybe in Bangkok it may work for some, but in the Provinces; not a chance. The other issue of course is that you should never trust using a credit card in a restaurant. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Fast way to bankruptcy.  I would not go to any retail outlet that didn't take cash.  Cashless society I don't think so.  Thailand works on cash, usually in small bills and coins. Maybe in Bangkok it may work for some, but in the Provinces; not a chance. The other issue of course is that you should never trust using a credit card in a restaurant. 

Most Thais I know almost all use QR code payment 

I used my WISE Visa for almost all restaurant payments all over Thailand 

I was out with my BIL'S in Nonthaburi, not a tourist in sight, and my BIL was using QR payment in the smallest of Karokes

31 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Yeah...don't think this cashless manner will ever come about in full complement here in Thailand. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Most Thais I know almost all use QR code payment 

At the last census,  33.8 million Thais reported living in a rural location.  I bet most have never heard of a QR code and many do not possess a smart phone.   I have rarely seen or heard of a QR payment made in any local food/veritable market either, places where most of Thailand's internal markets operate and local trade is done. It happens, but it's hardly common.  

3 hours ago, Pinetree said:

At the last census,  33.8 million Thais reported living in a rural location.  I bet most have never heard of a QR code and many do not possess a smart phone.   I have rarely seen or heard of a QR payment made in any local food/veritable market either, places where most of Thailand's internal markets operate and local trade is done. It happens, but it's hardly common.  

When is the last time you been in a Thai village?

8yr old kids in the village have phones these days 5555

And I don't know where you live but even a lot of stalls in local markets take the QR code payment set up by the Thai banks

I was in Nonthaburi last Monday and we went to 4 places and not once paid cash

And a couple were small local Thai places 

I paid for dinner with WISE card and my BIL's paid for everything else on thier phone

• Like 1