News Forum - Thailand’s weekly Covid-19 cases surge over 500 with three fatalities

Thaiger

The Department of Disease Control in Thailand (DDC) reported a sudden surge in weekly Covid-19 cases with over 500 new patients and three fatalities. The DDC revealed 88 cases of pneumonia among Covid patients. The report, which covers the period from November 26 to December 2, confirms an average of 76 hospital admissions and one … …

The story Thailand’s weekly Covid-19 cases surge over 500 with three fatalities as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A friend& his wife just got it for the first time! They are sweating it out , in the  comfort of their home.

A bunch of us went to a birthday party at Dah wan dang 6 people came down with it! 

There is a little mom and pop shop and a scrap yard next door in my soi the whole lot of them have got it, our cleaner told us to stay away, they were closed over the weekend. 

I think i'll start wearing a mask again always many Thai workers hanging around, 

The vaccine peak efficacy is approximately 6 months, similar to that of the flu vaccine. As the benefits of the previous inoculations wear off during  holiday season,  we will see a surge in the number of infections with complications. Add to that the foreign carriers bringing in new variants for the holiday season and I expect that there will be a spike in the number of infections around mid January. The problem that arises is that Thais rush to hospitals with outpatient manageable illnesses and expect magic potions and pills to cure  illnesses that can resolve naturally in a few days. (Westerners can be just as bad.) If there is  an exponential type growth, as in the past, the hospital system may become overwhelmed for a period of time. I will not be surprised if a mask mandate returns even if it is for a short period as the government will need to show it is doing something.

Mmmmm, I do have an issue with articles that just cite the numbers of cases/deaths calling it a 'worrying trend' without putting the data in perspective.

Here the parts with the numbers as mentioned in the article:

The Department of Disease Control in Thailand (DDC) reported a sudden surge in weekly Covid-19 cases with over 500 new patients and three fatalities. The DDC revealed 88 cases of pneumonia among Covid patients. The report, which covers the period from November 26 to December 2, confirms an average of 76 hospital admissions and one death per day.

Since the start of the year, the total number of Covid cases has reached 36,204, with 826 cumulative deaths.

We are currently at week 49 of the 52 weeks in 2023.  So a quick calculation learns that there were on average approx 740 cases per week with approx 17 weekly deaths since the beginning of the year.

So this 'sudden surge' of +500 cases and 3 deaths, is way below the average. 

Now it is well possible that compared with the previous 3 or 6 months that there is indeed a significant raise in cases, and that early in 2023 the bulk of cases/casualities took place.  And of course also seasonal aspects need to be taken into consideration when making such statement.  But that's not addressed in the article and good luck trying to figure out the actual trend over a 1 year period (or longer). 

In summary > a simple graph showing weekly covid cases/death over a 1-year period is what I am missing here, and would have been easy to provide by the DDC and the writer of the article.

But it looks like this is a thai thing, as I distinctly remember the daily figures posted on Thai television during the pandemic, that were equally lacking context and perspective.