News Forum - Find authenticity and adventure in the big Isaan cities

Thaiger

Have you ever looked beyond Thailand’s popular tourist haunts for something far more authentic? Hidden from the typical hustle and bustle of the more central cities, Thailand’s northeastern region is a treasure trove of culture, history, and delectable cuisine. Here lies the raw, unfiltered charm of the country rarely experienced by the average tourist as … …

The story Find authenticity and adventure in the big Isaan cities as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 hours ago, Karolyn said:

What is this authenticity, we hear so much about? 

Beats me, I have travelled around Isaan both cities and smaller towns and found nothing spectacularly different from the rest of Thailand (outside the tourist traps of Phuket Pattaya etc)

48 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

Beats me, I have travelled around Isaan both cities and smaller towns and found nothing spectacularly different from the rest of Thailand (outside the tourist traps of Phuket Pattaya etc)

Everything's the same if one already has predisposed ideals and lack of insight.

Try observing and engaging without the blinders on.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, QECE said:

Everything's the same if one already has predisposed ideals and lack of insight.

Try observing and engaging without the blinders on.

Not sure that I have predisposed ideals or lack of insight or observing and engaging with blinders on. I was as usual travelling with Thai friends and in the cities mentioned in this article found very little difference in the way of life to when I visit friends who live in the suburbs of Bangkok away from tourist areas.

On 12/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, ChrisS said:

Not sure that I have predisposed ideals or lack of insight or observing and engaging with blinders on. I was as usual travelling with Thai friends and in the cities mentioned in this article found very little difference in the way of life to when I visit friends who live in the suburbs of Bangkok away from tourist areas.

But the article was about Isaan vs tourist areas

Not Issan vs Thai areas of Bangkok

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But the article was about Isaan vs tourist areas

Not Issan vs Thai areas of Bangkok

I refer you to my original comment 

On 12/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, ChrisS said:

nothing spectacularly different from the rest of Thailand (outside the tourist traps of Phuket Pattaya etc)

My point is Isaan cities are not different from most of Thailand in any major aspect so to experience "authenticity" you just have to stray a mile or two from the shiny lights of the tourist areas.

8 hours ago, ChrisS said:

I refer you to my original comment 

My point is Isaan cities are not different from most of Thailand in any major aspect so to experience "authenticity" you just have to stray a mile or two from the shiny lights of the tourist areas.

I've never been to Isaan but see your point 

I'd even say you can find Authenticity Thailand int tbe major Tourist traps

Bangkok....I was out in Thonglor last week for dinner. That's an authentically upmarket Thai experience 

Go over by the river these days

It's sort of become the hipster spot in Bangkok now

All sorts of new restaurants and galleries

Just because it's not what we think of as authentic Thai

It is Thais in their own world

I frequent Kamala in Phuket 

Very touristy

Go one block off the main street and you are in amongst the mostly locals 

So there is Authenticity everywhere, in all different forms

• Like 1