Phuket still ripping off Tourists

Spinner

1 minute ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Some years ago I remember a restaurant opening near to where I live so we decided to pay a visit give them a bit of support as you do, they had 2 menu's a farang one and a Thai one, I noticed it right away 25 baht difference on the prices, We stayed eat lunch but never went back even my wife didnt like it the duel pricing,

Needless to say the place didn't last long word must have got around in the local area, 

I take it you mean two identical menus, apart from one in Thai, and the other in English at a higher price?
If so, and you noticed before ordering, then if your wife ordered for both of you from the Thai language menu and confirmed the price, that should have got you the Thai price?
Or have I missed something obvious?

13 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I suppose looking at it in the way of being aware in advance you can't get the local's price and therefore not buying, that's true.

When I ran a GoGo bar, we didn't allow Arabs or Indians in. That was a business decision. Not illegal as no one was cheated, and there's no law in Thailand regarding race discrimination.

I remember the first bar I ever went to in Thailand over thirty years ago was an upstairs bar in Patpong.
The drinks were advertised at whatever reasonable price it was then and I went in.
When I came to leave I was charged two thousand Baht for two drinks, with two menacing looking Thai heavies standing over me, so I couldn't leave without paying.
I suppose that's being ripped off.

Exactly. Being ripped off means deception or coercion or both were used to get you to pay for something you didn't order (or it was at a price you were told otherwise - $1 at the door, $10 on the bill). 

I've been in many restaurants where seafood was marked AQ (as quoted) for the price. 

When I asked it was usually sky high and I declined. If I bought the fish anyway without asking I could argue bad faith if the waiter lied to me or refused to answer. But if I didn't ask and was surprised, that's a bad customer experience, that's unfortunate, but that's not a crime. 

If I discovered the high price I paid was discounted for people wearing purple hats, and I didn't have one, I might be enraged!!! But that's not a crime. 

No one was tricked or coerced. In Japan the "hidden bill charge" in Kabukicho is a well known scam. 

Charging $84AUD vs $22AUD per kg for seafood is a steep mark up, and I'd encourage anyone not to pay any unfair price. Or haggle it down if you can. 

But high prices and dual pricing are no de facto crimes ("ripped off"). They're bad deals, definitely. 

9 minutes ago, MikeV said:

You need to be incredibly naive or gullible not to see this happening all over the world in tourist places.

I don't spend time in tourist places in Thailand so this hasn't happened to me. In fact the prices for things haven't changed at all in the years I've been coming for typical food items.

Ask the price, if you don't like it don't buy it. That's how you get the point across 

💯 Correct! 

If this is going to change it will need to come from within. Richard F'n Burrow ain't going to accomplish doo doo other than engaging grumpy cheap farang to get followers.

• 2 weeks later...

I really can't decide how I feel about dual pricing in Thailand. 

On one hand I think it's really discriminatory and unfair.

On the other hand, the wealth gap between Thais and westerners is absolutely massive. Most tourists are basically millionaires compared to the Thais that are dual pricing.

I just can't make my mind up on it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stainless said:

I really can't decide how I feel about dual pricing in Thailand. 

On one hand I think it's really discriminatory and unfair.

People who pay taxes to support a park should pay as much to enter as a one time tourist who goes there once in his life? 

Or you are referring to the problem of overpriced seafood sold to tourists? 

12 hours ago, Stainless said:

On the other hand, the wealth gap between Thais and westerners is absolutely massive. Most tourists are basically millionaires compared to the Thais that are dual pricing.

I just can't make my mind up on it.

The wealth disparity makes me slightly unsympathetic as well. 

I don't think we should throw open our wallets though. 

Thailand is a haggling culture and a little haggling is, I believe, quite acceptable. Especially if the prices aren't printed. 

And in most cases I'm aware of, the product or service is not required and has competition. Go somewhere else or do without.

The seafood place next door might  have a single reasonable price. Or go to a chain like Black Canyon or S&P. 

Maybe this deserves its own topic - not that "Phuket still ripping off tourists" is not perfect all on it's own. ...

• 4 weeks later...

I lived in and around Phuket for a while on a tight budget and it got to the point where every trip outside was like walking through a minefield. I made some strict rules to help me survive financially and seemed to get by a lot better than most of the farang I  met:-

Don't shop anywhere that doesn't have prices displayed. That includes markets and even shops. They'll just make one up if you do. My occasional trips to the markets for cheap food to cook at home often turned out more expensive than a restaurant with a priced menu

Never run a tab in a bar. It's not worth the hassling of arguing about the inflated bill and risking a run-in with the BIB (police), which you'll lose by default.

Assume that everyone who speak to you, however sweetly they smile, is sizing you up to see how they can extort money from you.

Never trust anyone who has 'a friend' who can fix you up with anything. Do your own research.

Don't be afraid to politely say no and walk away. You've got no obligation to buy whatever they are trying to shill you.

If anything has double pricing, just walk away if possible. Not always so with transport, but anything else, I just refused to pay it.

The girls...where do I start..They don't love you, they couldn't care less about you. However sweet and caring they seem. They want your money. When it's gone, so are they.

Don't trust anyone in authority. They're tuk tuk drivers with a uniform and a gun, which makes them dangerous. Only interact with them, when absolutely essential. 

Just use your common sense there. It got so exhausting for me, that I just left and probably won't go back. Which is a shame. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:21 AM, Dave121 said:

I lived in and around Phuket for a while on a tight budget and it got to the point where every trip outside was like walking through a minefield. I made some strict rules to help me survive financially and seemed to get by a lot better than most of the farang I  met:-

Don't shop anywhere that doesn't have prices displayed. That includes markets and even shops. They'll just make one up if you do. My occasional trips to the markets for cheap food to cook at home often turned out more expensive than a restaurant with a priced menu

Never run a tab in a bar. It's not worth the hassling of arguing about the inflated bill and risking a run-in with the BIB (police), which you'll lose by default.

Assume that everyone who speak to you, however sweetly they smile, is sizing you up to see how they can extort money from you.

Never trust anyone who has 'a friend' who can fix you up with anything. Do your own research.

Don't be afraid to politely say no and walk away. You've got no obligation to buy whatever they are trying to shill you.

If anything has double pricing, just walk away if possible. Not always so with transport, but anything else, I just refused to pay it.

The girls...where do I start..They don't love you, they couldn't care less about you. However sweet and caring they seem. They want your money. When it's gone, so are they.

Don't trust anyone in authority. They're tuk tuk drivers with a uniform and a gun, which makes them dangerous. Only interact with them, when absolutely essential. 

Just use your common sense there. It got so exhausting for me, that I just left and probably won't go back. Which is a shame. 

2 years of starving sure makes them hungry and ready to do anything

I'm surprised by so many who think it is just a part of life and how it goes on in their own country. AKA the new york hot dog. In my home state in Oz (and I think it would apply to most states) consumer law is much stronger. Certainly dual pricing is illegal. In fact even factory warranties can be overridden by consumer law. In fact if a supermarket charges you more than the ticketed price of an item you are entitled to a full refund of the item and get the item for free. Dual pricing is just plain wrong and is discriminatory there is no justification for it.