Overstay Query for 17yr old

Jasetheace

I have a daughter who was born in Melbourne but has been living in Thailand since she was 6 months old, she is now 17. She has been living with her grandparents, one of which recently passed away. I want to being her to New Zealand to live with me but I have concerns about the implications of bringing her out of Thailand. She has a Thai birth certificate and Thai ID card but the challenge has always been the Thai passport which I have never been able to get for her even though I have tried three times, the lack of parental consent from her mother has always been the issue. I have a current NZ passport for her. From what I can tell she will be fined 20000 baht on the way out of Thailand, thats fine, I will pay it, but its the potential ban from Thailand im concerned about. Ive had lengthy discussions with immigration at Bangkok airport in the past but never really got an straight answer. Can anyone offer any advice on this? The plan is to bring her to NZ in May 2024, she will be 17 and a half. Thanks, Jason

Edited by Jasetheace
spelling

1 hour ago, Jasetheace said:

I have a daughter who was born in Melbourne but has been living in Thailand since she was 6 months old, she is now 17. She has been living with her grandparents, one of which recently passed away. I want to being her to New Zealand to live with me but I have concerns about the implications of bringing her out of Thailand. She has a Thai birth certificate and Thai ID card but the challenge has always been the Thai passport which I have never been able to get for her even though I have tried three times, the lack of parental consent from her mother has always been the issue. I have a current NZ passport for her. From what I can tell she will be fined 20000 baht on the way out of Thailand, thats fine, I will pay it, but its the potential ban from Thailand im concerned about. Ive had lengthy discussions with immigration at Bangkok airport in the past but never really got an straight answer. Can anyone offer any advice on this? The plan is to bring her to NZ in May 2024, she will be 17 and a half. Thanks, Jason

Please send me a DM with your What's app number and I will call to discuss getting the passport. 

Children under 18 can't be banned for overstay BUT children OVER 15 ARE fined for it
So you are correct, they would pay  20K baht fine when she leaves <- AND she needs to leave BEFORE she's 18 even though she's thai she's not HERE as a thai she's here as foreign child

She is a Thai citizen, she cannot be banned, or fined, as she leaves the country, on whatever passport she travels with.  As she leaves the country she would need to present both the NZ passport and her Thai ID. The issue will be, if there is one, when she comes back to visit, but as long as she obtains the right visa for her NZ passport, it will not be an issue. The issue of the passport is odd.  If she has a Thai ID the issue of a passport is automatic at the passport office and as far as I know,  does not need the consent of the parents, or at least not both.

• Like 2

Sorry, I have to ask, did she enter Thailand at 6 months old on any kind of travel document and on what terms?  I'm not sure that babies needed passports at that time (they do now of course).  That could change things, but i doubt it, as there is unlikely to be any immigration background or paperwork on her.