IDP Question

Do you have to show your home driving liscense with your IDP if stopped by police?

I have a valid IDP but just renewed my BC Driver's License and they can't the old one

I do have the paper liscense, just not the picture liscense 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Do you have to show your home driving liscense with your IDP if stopped by police?

I have a valid IDP but just renewed my BC Driver's License and they can't the old one

I do have the paper liscense, just not the picture liscense 

Thanks

They will only care about your international license. However, in some places like Pattaya, there are reports from some people saying even their international permits were not accepted and they were forced to pay a fine. This may be because the officer was somehow under the impression it was not legit or it was expired. 

4 hours ago, TLP said:

They will only care about your international license. However, in some places like Pattaya, there are reports from some people saying even their international permits were not accepted and they were forced to pay a fine. This may be because the officer was somehow under the impression it was not legit or it was expired. 

Thanks

My experience has been as soon as I grab it then wave me through without even looking at it

Just thought I'd ask

I actually have my license with me

Just not the picture one

Which I am technically allowed to drive with it

But as you said, some police may not know 

What happens in a police control if you do have an international driving permit, but you keep this at your house/apartment and only have your actual non-Thai driving license as well as a photocopy of your international driving permit with you?

Edited by MPK

4 minutes ago, MPK said:

What happens in a police control if you do have an international driving permit, but you keep this at your house/apartment and only have your actual non-Thai driving license as well as a photocopy of your international driving permit with you?

They will most likely give you a ticket. You may run across a nice officer who will let you produce the original one later. It's not like your passport. For the license you are obligated to show the original. Why don't you want to carry your IDP with you? Are you afraid to lose it? If you are a long time expat, just convert it to a Thai License and be done with it. If you lose it, then you can replace it easier than your IDP.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MPK said:

I'd assume it just like you don't have one

I carry a shoulder bag and put my IDP/phone/cash in that when riding

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TLP said:

Already recommended that mate.

Yes well it’s so obvious. Many expats here with families, houses, business but no TDL.

What's the matter with them ? Non Issue. 

15 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Yes well it’s so obvious. Many expats here with families, houses, business but no TDL.

What's the matter with them ? Non Issue. 

Arrogance is at the center of it.  Far too many expats and tourists, especially tourists, think that following the law here is unnecessary for them.  Lack of licenses to ride or drive, lack of medical cover, overstay., not doing 90/TM30 day reports; its all part of the same arrogant belief that they are exempt from these things; until it all goes wrong and they then moan and groan about the Thai processes and requirements.  

When you have a valid english-language driver's license from your home-country (e.g. USA, UK, Canada, South-Africa, ...) it is an easy process to get hold of a Thai driver's permit.

However, if your home-country's driver's license does not feature english language, you would also need a valid International Drivers Permit, in order to apply for a Thai driver's permit.

Be aware, that you should check with the Thai insurer of your vehicle whether you are covered when driving with a non Thai driver's permit.  This because some Thai insurers only recognize the validity of your foreign or international driver's license during the first 3 months of your stay in Thailand (after which you are 'non-insured' in case of accident, even though you paid for the insurance). 

3 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

When you have a valid english-language driver's license from your home-country (e.g. USA, UK, Canada, South-Africa, ...) it is an easy process to get hold of a Thai driver's permit.

However, if your home-country's driver's license does not feature english language, you would also need a valid International Drivers Permit, in order to apply for a Thai driver's permit.

Be aware, that you should check with the Thai insurer of your vehicle whether you are covered when driving with a non Thai driver's permit.  This because some Thai insurers only recognize the validity of your foreign or international driver's license during the first 3 months of your stay in Thailand (after which you are 'non-insured' in case of accident, even though you paid for the insurance). 

Agree