"Landlord" Problem Advice and Police involved soon

hydraides

Okay So I was a teacher at a school and....... I rented a house from a co teacher and "supposed" friend

This co teacher,---- its her brother who actually rents it from a proper thai landlord........but her brother is away for most of the year on oil rigs so she sub rented the house to me

Anyway I rented this house and also a flat near the school,

I went back to live in the house at the weekends because it had a kitchen and nice location

Anyway I stopped renting last month and she is accusing me the house was left in a terrible condition (not true)

It is true I left the kitchen in a bit of a mess, and her brothers bedroom (Which I left alone as i didn't want to mess with his privacy) , had gecko poo all over the floor and apperently in the bedsheets

Anyway I offered to pay 2400 baht for 3 hours and 3 cleaners to come to the house. And I Paid them already. They cleaned the kitchen and the bedrooms during that day and three hours

I already paid the cleaners for that day and told the cleaners, .......The cleaners said co teacher wants more cleaning done and co teacher she would pay. So I saidif the co-teacher wants more cleaning then that is between her and the cleaners as I won't pay anymore......she must pay which she said she would

Anway Co teacher - She LIED to the cleaners and said She would pay for an EXTRA THTREE Days Cleaning and all the pillow, cushions washed everything totally 7000 BAHT.

Even outside all moss has been cleared. Totally unfair as I don't think i am responsible for any of that and all the other stuff like cushions etc were in fine condition. No major spills or damage or something like that

Now She WONT pay the cleaners and telling the cleaners I must pay. The cleaner messaged me and acknowledged that I said I could only pay for that one day 2400 baht

The cleaner will go to the police tomorrow for unpaid work.

Where do I stand in this? Should I lawyer up....and go to court?   I even have a LINE message from the co teacher threatening me with basically violence she saying "ill be out for your blood if you don't get the house cleaned' on the day the 5 minutes before the cleaners turned up

Cleaner admits I told her i can only pay one day.....2400 baht and the co teacher lied to her.

Co teacher for some reason thought she could take advantage and get the whole house completely deep cleaned ......and completely lie to the cleaners .....when there was no real need for a massive deep clean, except for the dirty kitchen and maybe her brothers bedroom.

Suggestions on what to do next?

Edited by hydraides

Don’t sweat it and keep in mind that the cops, the cleaner and the woman will pressure you to pay all the money because this is Thailand and you are not a Thai. Legally her brother should pay costs as his name is on the lease. She probably ordered the extra work so as not to lose the bond so she should pay. Why doesn’t her brother pay? 

6 hours ago, Fanta said:

Don’t sweat it and keep in mind that the cops, the cleaner and the woman will pressure you to pay all the money because this is Thailand and you are not a Thai. Legally her brother should pay costs as his name is on the lease. She probably ordered the extra work so as not to lose the bond so she should pay. Why doesn’t her brother pay? 

Also note the other woman (teacher) is a forienger .....This cleaning ordered  came from her and not the landlord

Why have you posted this nonsense on an open forum?  Stop whining and just pay up.  You said yourself that it needed  cleaning. All you did was wind up the other teacher. Police will do nothing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Lesson here, be very wary of sub-renting or sub-lease.

Regardless, the renter is responsible for cleaning before leaving.  He said himself that it needed cleaning, to whose standard? 

24 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Regardless, the renter is responsible for cleaning before leaving.  He said himself that it needed cleaning, to whose standard? 

I already payed 2400 baht for the first day cleaning, which cleaned up all the mess I left, The mess in the kitchen and the general house cleaning

Then she ordered the cleaners to come back for 3 EXTRA DAYS totally 7000 baht, completetly unfair and ridicolous

Edited by hydraides

If you're really a teacher, learn some common sense, and learn how to write a comprehensive letter. I, for one, had trouble in reading your opening rant. 

• Like 1

A sub lease/sub let needs the landlord's written approval. Her brother is legally liable for anything that happens to the house. If that woman is a foreigner on top of that, there is very little she can do. Her verbal threats are actually a sign that she knows all that.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Leo said:

A sub lease/sub let needs the landlord's written approval. Her brother is legally liable for anything that happens to the house. If that woman is a foreigner on top of that, there is very little she can do. Her verbal threats are actually a sign that she knows all that.

The thing is (The whole house was actually is pretty good condition) ......no major spills or damage or anything like

Yes the kitchen was messy but it got sorted on the first day of cleaning

Yes ordered to pay extra (Maybe out of some sort of spite) for not renting longer or something who knows. 

If no one had lived it either, Moss etc would also grow outside and thats up to the proper landlord to clean and nothing to do with me atoll, In my opinion

21 minutes ago, hydraides said:

The thing is (The whole house was actually is pretty good condition) ......no major spills or damage or anything like

Yes the kitchen was messy but it got sorted on the first day of cleaning

Yes ordered to pay extra (Maybe out of some sort of spite) for not renting longer or something who knows. 

If no one had lived it either, Moss etc would also grow outside and thats up to the proper landlord to clean and nothing to do with me atoll, In my opinion

There is nothing she can do legally if there's no written approval by the landlord for the sub lease. Also, if she's still a teacher, let's just say school principals and academic affairs managers frown upon teachers threatening other teachers. You understand my meaning? She's a foreigner, that changes everything. So, let's say she calls the police, the police will go to her first and ask to see the sublease approval from the landlord. She doesn't have it most likely. Then they'll ask to see her work permit. Then they might go to her school to verify it. Get it? Lose-lose for her.

Edited by Leo
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hydraides said:

Okay So I was a teacher at a school and....... I rented a house from a co teacher and "supposed" friend

This co teacher,---- its her brother who actually rents it from a proper thai landlord........but her brother is away for most of the year on oil rigs so she sub rented the house to me

Anyway I rented this house and also a flat near the school,

I went back to live in the house at the weekends because it had a kitchen and nice location

Anyway I stopped renting last month and she is accusing me the house was left in a terrible condition (not true)

It is true I left the kitchen in a bit of a mess, and her brothers bedroom (Which I left alone as i didn't want to mess with his privacy) , had gecko poo all over the floor and apperently in the bedsheets

Anyway I offered to pay 2400 baht for 3 hours and 3 cleaners to come to the house. And I Paid them already. They cleaned the kitchen and the bedrooms during that day and three hours

I already paid the cleaners for that day and told the cleaners, .......The cleaners said co teacher wants more cleaning done and co teacher she would pay. So I saidif the co-teacher wants more cleaning then that is between her and the cleaners as I won't pay anymore......she must pay which she said she would

Anway Co teacher - She LIED to the cleaners and said She would pay for an EXTRA THTREE Days Cleaning and all the pillow, cushions washed everything totally 7000 BAHT.

Even outside all moss has been cleared. Totally unfair as I don't think i am responsible for any of that and all the other stuff like cushions etc were in fine condition. No major spills or damage or something like that

Now She WONT pay the cleaners and telling the cleaners I must pay. The cleaner messaged me and acknowledged that I said I could only pay for that one day 2400 baht

The cleaner will go to the police tomorrow for unpaid work.

Where do I stand in this? Should I lawyer up....and go to court?   I even have a LINE message from the co teacher threatening me with basically violence she saying "ill be out for your blood if you don't get the house cleaned' on the day the 5 minutes before the cleaners turned up

Cleaner admits I told her i can only pay one day.....2400 baht and the co teacher lied to her.

Co teacher for some reason thought she could take advantage and get the whole house completely deep cleaned ......and completely lie to the cleaners .....when there was no real need for a massive deep clean, except for the dirty kitchen and maybe her brothers bedroom.

Suggestions on what to do next?

Thanks for useful advice

On 11/19/2023 at 2:58 AM, Pinetree said:

Why have you posted this nonsense on an open forum?  Stop whining and just pay up.  You said yourself that it needed  cleaning. All you did was wind up the other teacher. Police will do nothing. 

Yes. Life’s Too Short. Pay. Move On. Suppose if Renting, these Problems are always Lurking.

I’ve always Owned Property here. Certainly Over Invested Though. Used to regret Buying. No Longer.
Buy One Million Baht Foreigner Freehold Condo from Major Developer Only. via Lawyer. Utilities. No Rent.
if you can’t do that you’ve no right being here…….

If you’ve come here to Save or Make Money….. you’ve made a Serious Mistake.

Or just stay in cheap guest house.  9k month ? No Deposits. No Hassle. No Notice.

Too Much I suppose for the TEFL crowd…..or other Cheap Charlie’s.

Police ? WOT ! Works Against You. Don’t Go There. Police will Strip Your Money for Nothing.Minimum 5k !