Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa & 1-way air ticket?

Dezmo

I just obtained a Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa with ME.  I head back to the USA soon and may come back to Thailand early next year.

Can I enter without an exit ticket?

I read before that the IO can check/ask for an exit ticket (it has never happened to me in my past 5 trips) and deny entry if  you do not have one, but do wonder about having the Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa w/ ME and it that exempts one from needing a exit ticket?

8 hours ago, Dezmo said:

I just obtained a Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa with ME.  I head back to the USA soon and may come back to Thailand early next year.

I read before that the IO can check/ask for an exit ticket (it has never happened to me in my past 5 trips) and deny entry if  you do not have one, but do wonder about having the Non Immigrant O (Retirement) Visa w/ ME and it that exempts one from needing a exit ticket?

Entered Thailand 3 times recently on Retirement Visa / Stay Permit and a hundred times on visa exempt before that since 2004  and never once been asked for an exit ticket. 

8 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Normally, they don't ask people on a retirement visa for a return or onward flight. I assume you got you retirement visa in Thailand and you bought a multiple entry re entry permit that allows you to exit and return as many times as you want during the validity of your visa's permission to stay validity. If that's the case, I don't see them asking for any return or onward ticket, as you have the right to exit and enter as you wish. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Entered Thailand 3 times recently on Retirement Visa / Stay Permit and a hundred times on visa exempt before that since 2004  and never once been asked for an exit ticket. 

That's fine that you have not been asked for a return or onward flight  while entering Thailand on visa exemption, but thousands of others have. Your post implies that no-one will ever be asked and there is no danger of being asked. By doing so, you are putting others at risk of being refused entry. No matter what, if you enter on visa exemption, you should prepare proof of return or onward travel, proof of travel funds of 20,000 baht or equivalent in foreign currency, and proof of accommodation, just in case you are asked. How do you know if you will be asked. Well you won't. Immigration may ask based on the following:

1. Your travel history to Thailand.

2. Your age

3. Your nationality

4. Your background

5. Your appearance

6. The IO's mood being good or bad

Like you, some are never asked. Others get asked often. Some get asked every time.  

7 hours ago, TLP said:

Normally, they don't ask people on a retirement visa for a return or onward flight. I assume you got you retirement visa in Thailand and you bought a multiple entry re entry permit that allows you to exit and return as many times as you want during the validity of your visa's permission to stay validity. If that's the case, I don't see them asking for any return or onward ticket, as you have the right to exit and enter as you wish. 

Yes.. I just got the retirement Non-O with ME (using a service here).   I did go to Vietnam last week for a few days and came back and IO never (again) asked for an Exit flight.  

12 hours ago, TLP said:

That's fine that you have not been asked for a return or onward flight  while entering Thailand on visa exemption, but thousands of others have. Your post implies that no-one will ever be asked and there is no danger of being asked. By doing so, you are putting others at risk of being refused entry. No matter what, if you enter on visa exemption, you should prepare proof of return or onward travel, proof of travel funds of 20,000 baht or equivalent in foreign currency, and proof of accommodation, just in case you are asked. How do you know if you will be asked. Well you won't. Immigration may ask based on the following:

1. Your travel history to Thailand.

2. Your age

3. Your nationality

4. Your background

5. Your appearance

6. The IO's mood being good or bad

Like you, some are never asked. Others get asked often. Some get asked every time.  

Wrong. I always have all that. Just never been asked. Cant control  IO “mood”.

1-2-3 on IO computer & Passport. 

Only an idiot flies anywhere without :-

passport in best condition 
return flight ticket & boarding pass

plenty of cash

clean smart well- dressed sober appearance

Leather shoulder bag

without stupid tatty saggy strapped back pack

polite helpful aware non- confrontational style

Only some drugged up backpacker hobos in flip flops shorts singlet backpack unkempt dirty, would be “ asked all the time” in fact be refused entry. Nobody else would be asked “ sometimes” . 

• Confused 1
  • Angry 1

51 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Wrong. I always have all that. Just never been asked. Cant control  IO “mood”.

1-2-3 on IO computer & Passport. 

Only an idiot flies anywhere without :-

passport in best condition 
return flight ticket & boarding pass

plenty of cash

clean smart well- dressed sober appearance

Leather shoulder bag

without stupid tatty saggy strapped back pack

polite helpful aware non- confrontational style

Only some drugged up backpacker hobos in flip flops shorts singlet backpack unkempt dirty, would be “ asked all the time” in fact be refused entry. Nobody else would be asked “ sometimes” . 

I will have to disagree with you again. We have plenty of examples otherwise of respectful looking people being asked and refused entry. Sorry, but you are wrong. However, no reason to get in a debate over this. Just know that we have provided assistance for members who have been refused entry or asked to provide these things and the description of members of ours did not match the description you so eloquently described.  Therefore, kindly stop making assumptions about others when you don't know their situations. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TLP said:

I will have to disagree with you again. We have plenty of examples otherwise of respectful looking people being asked and refused entry. Sorry, but you are wrong. However, no reason to get in a debate over this. Just know that we have provided assistance for members who have been refused entry or asked to provide these things and the description of members of ours did not match the description you so eloquently described.  Therefore, kindly stop making assumptions about others when you don't know their situations. Thanks in advance.

Speaking from my experience not other peoples who probably set themselves up for that treatment somehow. Believe what you say. Just never seen it or rarely heard it in 20 years coming here.

One reason for that is I never used the main Bkk Immy entry line.

Only the Fast Track Bkk empty channel….. until they put a guard on it. Residents Only
Never go into Bkk now just transit through airport to Phuket flight with non- existent Immy lines. 

1 minute ago, oldschooler said:

Speaking from my experience not other peoples who probably set themselves up for that treatment somehow. Believe what you say. Just never seen it or rarely heard it in 20 years coming here.

One reason for that is I never used the main Bkk Immy entry line.

Only the Fast Track Bkk empty channel….. until they put a guard on it. Residents Only
Never go into Bkk now just transit through airport to Phuket flight with non- existent Immy lines. 

That is most likely why. I could tell you stories mate.

Just now, TLP said:

That is most likely why. I could tell you stories mate.

Well I’ve given plenty of tips here how to sail through Immy. 
Another one is, if challenged, show picture & ID of your Thai Kid. 

22 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Well I’ve given plenty of tips here how to sail through Immy. 
Another one is, if challenged, show picture & ID of your Thai Kid. 

It's not guys like you they are after. It's the people working while they have entered as a tourist and foreign criminals. Don't worry too much.

• Confused 1

When you fly to Thailand with a VISA (or a Re-Entry Permit protecting the Permission to stay of your Visa) there is no need for an onward-flight reservation. 

But when you fly to Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa) it is when boarding your flight to Thailand that the airline staff will ask to show an onward-flight reservation to an international destination on a date PRIOR to the expiry of the 30-day Permission to stay stamp that you will receive from Thai border-immigration on arrival.

So even if you have a return-ticket but the return flight is after the 30-days Permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand, the airline staff will normally insist on you showing an onward-flight reservation prior to that Permission to stay expiry date.  Some airlines (especially if you are a regular customer with them) might let you board anyway, and some airline staff will accept an explanation like that you are planning to leave Thailand by land-border prior to the expiry of the Permission to stay date, or that you would be applying for a 30-day extension of stay. 

The reason the airline staff checks this is that in case you are refused entry by Thai border-immigration because of not having an onward-flight reservation, that the airline can be forced to fly you back to your point of departure at their cost.  So if you are dealing at check-in with a junior airline staff they will almost surely want to do it 'by the book' (the IATA regulations they need to check for boarding).  

Note that if you do not have a grubby look that Thai Immigration on arrival will almost never ask to show such onward-flight reservation (because they know that the airlines normally check it).  

TIP - The easiest way to meet that onward-flight reservation requirement is to book such a reservation with one of the many onward-flight reservation service-providers (e.g. onwardticket.com).  These are GENUINE reservations and cost somewhere between 10 and 16 US $, but they are automatically cancelled by the service-provider within 48 to 72 hours after payment by credit-card and the reservation is sent immediately to your e-mail address.  So you would need to book the reservation the evening before your scheduled flight to Thailand, so that the reservation is still valid (in case it gets checked) at moment of arrival in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

When you fly to Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa) it is when boarding your flight to Thailand that the airline staff will ask to show an onward-flight reservation to an international destination on a date PRIOR to the expiry of the 30-day Permission to stay stamp that you will receive from Thai border-immigration on arrival.

So even if you have a return-ticket but the return flight is after the 30-days Permission to stay you will receive on entering Thailand, the airline staff will normally insist on you showing an onward-flight reservation prior to that Permission to stay expiry date.  Some airlines (especially if you are a regular customer with them) might let you board anyway, and some airline staff will accept an explanation like that you are planning to leave Thailand by land-border prior to the expiry of the Permission to stay date, or that you would be applying for a 30-day extension of stay. 

The reason the airline staff checks this is that in case you are refused entry by Thai border-immigration because of not having an onward-flight reservation, that the airline can be forced to fly you back to your point of departure at their cost.  So if you are dealing at check-in with a junior airline staff they will almost surely want to do it 'by the book' (the IATA regulations they need to check for boarding).  

Note that if you do not have a grubby look that Thai Immigration on arrival will almost never ask to show such onward-flight reservation (because they know that the airlines normally check it).  

TIP - The easiest way to meet that onward-flight reservation requirement is to book such a reservation with one of the many onward-flight reservation service-providers (e.g. onwardticket.com).  These are GENUINE reservations and cost somewhere between 10 and 16 US $, but they are automatically cancelled by the service-provider within 48 to 72 hours after payment by credit-card and the reservation is sent immediately to your e-mail address.  So you would need to book the reservation the evening before your scheduled flight to Thailand, so that the reservation is still valid (in case it gets checked) at moment of arrival in Thailand.

In my experience, not all airlines enforce this. I always tell our members and other people to call their chosen airline to find out their policy on this. Some will let you board with it and others won't. As far as I am concerned, every traveller using visas exemption should always have a return or onward flight available to show if anyone asks, airline or immigration. One thing TLP has been successful with is providing our members with a letter for immigration stating the reason for the return flight being later than the 30 days or non existent because either a visa extension is being done and that's why the return flight is later than the initial 30 days and for others who don't have a return or onward ticket, we issue a letter stating that the traveller will be obtaining a retirement visa inside Thailand. So far, has worked 100% of\ the time for our members. Hope this helps. 

My experience (when flying from Frankfurt to Thailand - Thai airways) that when doing the Germany to Thailand flight on-line checkin with Thai Airways (over the internet in Germany) that one gets a popup, warning one that they may be asked for such ticket proof (of leaving Thailand).  

I've flown from Germany twice, with no visa but planning to enter Thaliand Visa exempt (Thai airways) on a one way ticket.  In both cases my ticket leaving Thailand was with a different airline.  Once in Frankfurt I was asked for that ticket proving I had a ticket for leaving Thailand, ... the other time I was not asked.

I've also flown Germany to Thailand with a one-way ticket with no follow-on ticket, but I was on a Type-OA non-immigrant visa.  In that case, I was not asked for a follow-on ticket (exiting Thailand) and I speculate it was because I had an appropriate Visa.

EDIT - I should add a friend left Vietnam to fly to Thailand (with Vietjet) in HCMC on a one-way ticket, and before boarding in HCMC and he was asked by Vietjet for proof of a flight leaving Thailand. He had a cheap throw away ticket which he showed them.  So IMHO YMMV.

Edited by oldcpu

That's  the issue, isn't it......it's all random.  Rules, if there really are any, are not enforced consistently by each IO or office or location.   

I have flown into/out of Thailand on several airlines (from 🇺🇸) 4 times in the last year and in some cases had exit ticket past my the 30 days as i was staying 50 days or so,  sometimes on different airlines, and never bern asked by airline or IO to see my exit ticket.    On a side trip to the Philippines last year from Thailand the Air Asia person did ask about my exit ticket from the Philippines...

All random...but now with my Non-Immigrant O Visa with ME I need not worry 😉