News Forum - British national jailed in Phuket for illegal firearm possession

Thaiger

A British national has been apprehended by Chalong Police in Phuket, Thailand, under an arrest warrant issued by the Phuket Provincial Court for illegal firearm possession and its public display without consent or legitimate reason. The charge against Jamaal (surname not given) stems from an incident where he reportedly dropped a black Glock 19, described … …

The story British national jailed in Phuket for illegal firearm possession as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There should be greater concern about foreigners especially  carrying guns - it is very easy Many are ex-servicemen. It even looks as if some local police may be turning a blind eye. 

People go to gun clubs/ranges and befriend te locals and then are in a position to buy firearms "on the quiet".

I believe the Glock is the preferred brand of the RTP.

46 minutes ago, cowslip said:

There should be greater concern about foreigners especially  carrying guns

Why? The locals seem to be the active shooters. Just asking, I’m not big on guns. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Why? The locals seem to be the active shooters. Just asking, I’m not big on guns. 

Read the rest of my post - foreigners make up a small proportion of the inhbitants but as seen in the OP there are incidents - and as more and more foreigners illegally arm themselves it is likely that incidents will increase and even become f=ore severe.

Ex-service men in particular come from a "gun culture" and then on retiring in Thailand they find it is easy to get firearms - maybe as their "hobby".

Fingers crossed they lock him up for a good long time in a Thai jail rather than send him back to the UK to serve his sentence in a considerably cushier UK jail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

Read the rest of my post - foreigners make up a small proportion of the inhbitants but as seen in the OP there are incidents - and as more and more foreigners illegally arm themselves it is likely that incidents will increase and even become f=ore severe.

Ex-service men in particular come from a "gun culture" and then on retiring in Thailand they find it is easy to get firearms - maybe as their "hobby".

Most foreigners likely to carry a gun are not ex servicemen. Usually its a criminal which ex servicemen are unlikely to be.

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Most foreigners likely to carry a gun are not ex servicemen. Usually its a criminal which ex servicemen are unlikely to be.

Don't know where you get that from. 

Ex-service men retiring on places like Samui seem to consider they are still entitled to carry firearms - of course if they do they are as you say criminals.

Any criminal trying to keep a low profile is very unlikely to have forearms as it just makes their life more complicated.

Think about what ex-service men can do in Thailand - they can only perpetuate what they did in the army. They  start businesses here  (gyms usually) - often in a legal grey area - they befriend the local police - suggesting they have common interests or are "in the same trade" and then often join gun clubs - "to keep their hand in" - it's only a small step from there to keeps a few firearms at home

22 minutes ago, cowslip said:

Ex-service men retiring on places like Samui seem to consider they are still entitled to carry firearms - of course if they do they are as you say criminals.

What nationalities of Servicemen cowslip?

Any criminal trying to keep a low profile is very unlikely to have forearms as it just makes their life more complicated.

Are we talking about real criminals or the Cockney boiler room wannabees like we see in Pattaya. 

Think about what ex-service men can do in Thailand - they can only perpetuate what they did in the army.

Probably anything then cowslip there's lots of multitasking in the Army ( I can only speak for the British Army). And service leavers get resettlement training on the completion of their service the quality of which depends on years served and a pension if they have served a full 22 years. 

it's only a small step from there to keeps a few firearms at home

Maybe their Wife's own firearms cowslip Bud.

Are you from the North of Scotland cowslip? Serious question. 

9 hours ago, cowslip said:

There should be greater concern about foreigners especially  carrying guns - it is very easy Many are ex-servicemen. It even looks as if some local police may be turning a blind eye. 

People go to gun clubs/ranges and befriend te locals and then are in a position to buy firearms "on the quiet".

I believe the Glock is the preferred brand of the RTP.

Yeah right….. and promptly get shopped, arrested, jailed for years then deported…. Enormous risk clearly just wouldn’t be worth it ….even to the biggest simpleton here….. unless mad…..another Thai urban myth bs tale for the gullible unaware types like you……oh & police everywhere don’t get to “ prefer” guns…. they get the standard govt. issue, period.

1 hour ago, cowslip said:

Don't know where you get that from. 

Think about what ex-service men can do in Thailand - they can only perpetuate what they did in the army. They  start businesses here  (gyms usually) - often in a legal grey area - they befriend the local police - suggesting they have common interests or are "in the same trade" and then often join gun clubs - "to keep their hand in" - it's only a small step from there to keeps a few firearms at home

You are literally full of it. Take an Enema. What’s left wouldn’t fill a matchbox……

What is a blank gun Glock 19 a replica gun that fires noise makers like a startewrs gun?

Or was it a Glock loaded with blanks? Blanks can kill especially if real bullets

are loded by mistake as seen in Hollywood set accidents

The individual, who we shall call "Jamal", may have a prior criminal record  associated with drug trafficking. If so, he was inadmissible for entry into Thailand.  If he  does have priors, he will definitely spend some time in  Thailand prison.

10 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

No. Gun merely a tool. Controlled by Humans. Not bad in and of itself. 

So is a car but you still need to pass tests to use one.

33 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So is a car but you still need to pass tests to use one.

As a Gun Owner but not temporarily at the Firing Range.
Assume Impossible for foreigner to legally own any working gun here ? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

As a Gun Owner but not temporarily at the Firing Range.
Assume Impossible for foreigner to legally own any working gun here ? 

Legally yes.

But there are so many illegal guns here OS I could buy one tomorrow. 

The bloke was a Chav from Luton with a previous conviction for possession and supply caught with a BB gun in Phuket. 

Massive international crime story has Interpol been tasked? its spinning outta control even bringing renowned Fantasists out of the woodwork claiming to know where to buy illegal firearms here in Thailand. 

I'm glued to Sky on one screen and the BBC on the other screen awaiting it to hit the headlines. 

2 hours ago, 23RD said:

The bloke was a Chav from Luton with a previous conviction for possession and supply caught with a BB gun in Phuket. 

Massive international crime story has Interpol been tasked? its spinning outta control even bringing renowned Fantasists out of the woodwork claiming to know where to buy illegal firearms here in Thailand. 

I'm glued to Sky on one screen and the BBC on the other screen awaiting it to hit the headlines. 

Shut up liar. Anyone who lives here can buy an illegal gun.

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You're gone from Andy McNab to Liam Neseon in 24 hours I rest my case.

6 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You're gone from Andy McNab to Liam Neseon in 24 hours I rest my case.

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Legally yes.

But there are so many illegal guns here OS I could buy one tomorrow. 

No Doubt but at sky high risk of Jail Deportation Long Ban.Senseless. 

Would never carry a firearm or knife. 

My lady and I carry knuckle- dusters as a desperate last resort thug defence disguised as a thick steel ring. 
They flip open onto your knuckles in three seconds. One Shot to the Ribs Bother -Stopper.

• Like 1