Travel 2024 Plans

justdavid

9 hours ago, justdavid said:

We know 2023 is about to end and we will be welcoming 2024. Does anyone have plans or book flight already for 2024? 

Well 2023 isn't finished!

I have a trip to Thailand in a month to pick up my MIL and bring her back to Canada

2024................All depends on what my stepson is doing. He may come to Canada during his break, so then no Thai trips

Plenty of US and possibly a Caribbean trip in 2024

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 10:41 PM, Marc26 said:

Well 2023 isn't finished!

I have a trip to Thailand in a month to pick up my MIL and bring her back to Canada

2024................All depends on what my stepson is doing. He may come to Canada during his break, so then no Thai trips

Plenty of US and possibly a Caribbean trip in 2024

wonderful that you'll be bringing your mother-in-law back to Canada. I hope you have a fantastic trip and enjoy spending time with your family.

As for 2024, it sounds like you have some potential travel plans in the works. Exploring the US and possibly going on a Caribbean trip sounds amazing! Is there a particular destination in the US or the Caribbean that you have in mind, or are you still in the process of deciding? 

38 minutes ago, justdavid said:

It's okay if you still don't have any plans.

I made a conscious effort when I stopped full time working, to commit myself to as little as possible and for the first time in so many years, allow life to flow past and around me. I make an effort only when I feel like it and no plans beyond this week if I can help it. It's amazingly liberating to be beholden to nobody for my future. I even told my 3  UK based kids that if they want to see me in person, rather than on video calls, then they need to come to see me and not me travel to see them.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pinetree said:

I made a conscious effort when I stopped full time working, to commit myself to as little as possible and for the first time in so many years, allow life to flow past and around me. I make an effort only when I feel like it and no plans beyond this week if I can help it. It's amazingly liberating to be beholden to nobody for my future. I even told my 3  UK based kids that if they want to see me in person, rather than on video calls, then they need to come to see me and not me travel to see them.  

That sounds like a wonderful decision you've made! Embracing a more relaxed and spontaneous lifestyle can be incredibly liberating. It's great that you're allowing life to unfold naturally and not burdening yourself with too many commitments or rigid plans. Being able to go with the flow and focus on the present moment can bring a sense of freedom and joy.

Setting boundaries with your kids and letting them know that they're welcome to visit you is a bold move. It's important to prioritize your own needs and well-being.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, justdavid said:

That sounds like a wonderful decision you've made! Embracing a more relaxed and spontaneous lifestyle can be incredibly liberating. It's great that you're allowing life to unfold naturally and not burdening yourself with too many commitments or rigid plans. Being able to go with the flow and focus on the present moment can bring a sense of freedom and joy.

Setting boundaries with your kids and letting them know that they're welcome to visit you is a bold move. It's important to prioritize your own needs and well-being.

Indeed, that was the hard one.  But they are well set financially and profit from the family airline discount that we get due to my last job. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Indeed, that was the hard one.  But they are well set financially and profit from the family airline discount that we get due to my last job. 

They should be thankful to you. When was your last travel? Im planning to travel this 2024, I plan to visit Singapore first. Have you been there?

2 minutes ago, justdavid said:

They should be thankful to you. When was your last travel? Im planning to travel this 2024, I plan to visit Singapore first. Have you been there?

2 minutes ago, justdavid said:

My last flight was to Taiwan 18 months ago. Yes, I visited many times.  As an airline pilot in an Asian airline for 17 years, I have probably done as many flights as anyone has the energy or application for.  I'm rather done with airports and the long haul process. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Sort of where we are now with my family

I am from Boston and most people from Boston don't travel much 

And I am 51yrs old, haven't lived full time in Boston since I was 21yrs old but the longest I have been away at one time was 6 months, with the exception of Covid

But my family never make the effort to visit us and my wife has said she's not going to go to Boston until people make an effort to visit us 

I go to NYC often for work so then head to Boston for a few days(mostly to see my very close friends)

But I don't go home as much anymore because my wife is right in her stance 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pinetree said:

My last flight was to Taiwan 18 months ago. Yes, I visited many times.  As an airline pilot in an Asian airline for 17 years, I have probably done as many flights as anyone has the energy or application for.  I'm rather done with airports and the long haul process. 

You did really have a lot of flights! 😄 How was your visit in Taiwan, what are the places you visited there? My first plan is going to Singapore, but I'm not sure what tourist destination I should visit? Do you have recommendations?  

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Sort of where we are now with my family

I am from Boston and most people from Boston don't travel much 

And I am 51yrs old, haven't lived full time in Boston since I was 21yrs old but the longest I have been away at one time was 6 months, with the exception of Covid

But my family never make the effort to visit us and my wife has said she's not going to go to Boston until people make an effort to visit us 

I go to NYC often for work so then head to Boston for a few days(mostly to see my very close friends)

But I don't go home as much anymore because my wife is right in her stance 

It sounds like you have a close connection to Boston, even though you haven't lived there full time for a while. It can be tough when your family doesn't make the effort to visit, especially when you and your wife have made an effort to invite them. It's understandable that your wife wants to see some effort from them before she goes to Boston herself. Family dynamics can be complex sometimes.

On a lighter note, it's great that you still find opportunities to visit Boston, even if it's for a few days during your work trips to NYC. Reconnecting with close friends can be a wonderful way to stay connected to your roots. 

7 minutes ago, justdavid said:

You did really have a lot of flights! 😄 How was your visit in Taiwan, what are the places you visited there? My first plan is going to Singapore, but I'm not sure what tourist destination I should visit? Do you have recommendations?  

Having lived there for many years my fondest memories are of the mountain resorts.  However, although I do love that country and still have many friends there, I would say that its not the first 'tourist specific' destination on any list that I would recommend for Asia.  For holiday visits, in no particular order, I would put these places before Taiwan: Philippines, Thailand of course, Vietnam,  Hong Kong, (not my favorite, but many enjoy the place) , Malaysia, Japan.  

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 12:23 PM, justdavid said:

We know 2023 is about to end and we will be welcoming 2024. Does anyone have plans or book flight already for 2024? 

Heading back to USA tomorrow after a few months here.

Checked flights from Boston to BKK for a Jan/Feb visit... wow.. they are up ~$1k since last Jan when I traveled here.    Will wait a bit as they seem to fluctuate ... 

Also notice I cannot find a frequent flyer miles flights (I typically fly American Airlines).  Maybe they locked them down a bit also. Making up for Covid :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dezmo said:

Heading back to USA tomorrow after a few months here.

Checked flights from Boston to BKK for a Jan/Feb visit... wow.. they are up ~$1k since last Jan when I traveled here.    Will wait a bit as they seem to fluctuate ... 

Also notice I cannot find a frequent flyer miles flights (I typically fly American Airlines).  Maybe they locked them down a bit also. Making up for Covid :)

It must be exciting to head back to the USA after spending a few months away. Travel plans can sometimes come with surprises, like the increase in flight prices you noticed for your Boston to BKK trip. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on those prices and wait for them to fluctuate before making a decision. And yeah, it's possible that airlines have made some adjustments to their frequent flyer miles program due to the impact of Covid.

Wishing you a smooth journey back to the USA and a fantastic start to 2024!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, Pinetree said:

Having lived there for many years my fondest memories are of the mountain resorts.  However, although I do love that country and still have many friends there, I would say that its not the first 'tourist specific' destination on any list that I would recommend for Asia.  For holiday visits, in no particular order, I would put these places before Taiwan: Philippines, Thailand of course, Vietnam,  Hong Kong, (not my favorite, but many enjoy the place) , Malaysia, Japan.  

I've been to the Philippines quite a lot and the places and beaches there were fantastic, and what made Hong Kong not your favorite despite it being popular? The crowds perhaps? I've never been, but am always keen to learn more about various Asian locations from those with experience living there. I told you that I'll be visiting Singapore probably next year, look at this article that I found https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-singapore-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5549 it is more like a guide on what I should be doing to Singapore but do you have any recommendations? Still on the process of making my Itinerary. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 5:53 PM, justdavid said:

I've been to the Philippines quite a lot and the places and beaches there were fantastic, and what made Hong Kong not your favorite despite it being popular? The crowds perhaps? I've never been, but am always keen to learn more about various Asian locations from those with experience living there. I told you that I'll be visiting Singapore probably next year, look at this article that I found https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-singapore-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5549 it is more like a guide on what I should be doing to Singapore but do you have any recommendations? Still on the process of making my Itinerary. 

I think that article isn't clickable just check this instead https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-singapore-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5549 . I hope you help me for recommendations in singapore. thank you! 

Edited by justdavid
wrong grammar

On 11/15/2023 at 11:17 AM, Pinetree said:

I’m very fussy about airlines flown. Many criteria. “ Likely to use former western military pilots” for example.

Seeing how they safely landed BA or US flights after complete engine failures at all altitudes👍😎

• Like 1