Covid-19 train sends 1,490 infected from Bangkok to hometowns

Thaiger

Usually people are excited to head to the train station and pick up their friends, family, or other loved ones returning from the big city back to their hometowns. But for a special train journey tomorrow, this may not be the case. A train travelling from Bangkok to Northeastern provinces including Ubon Ratchathani tomorrow will be carrying 40 people who tested positively for Covid-19, returning home for treatment and isolation in their home province. Ubon Ratchathani province’s health chief put out a statement urging the local residents to remain calm as the train is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. The train […]

The post Covid-19 train sends 1,490 infected from Bangkok to hometowns appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 2

All right let's spread this shit faster than it already was. I was in a hospital Thursday seeing a doctor and he told me they had over 100 covid patients that came from Bangkok 

Let's start by getting the figures straight pleased, Are the 1490 covid infected people on the train or 40 ???

As if that wasnt going to cause a bit of a panic locally,  someone allows 294 to make alternative arrangements  to get home . As there are no flights or coaches I'm guessing cars or minivans  are being used by the 294. 

I wonder how many local covid cases there will be by the end of the week after this episode takes place . 

• Like 3

The prodigals return

At a loss for words about this. its madness!

i bet the locals at Buri Ram, Nakhon Ratchasima, Si Sa Ket, and Surin and other assorted stops  are beside themselves with joy about this

• Like 2

These individuals have nothing in those Red zone areas! What ever brought them there has gone for the most part, I suppose, probably due to  loss of employment !

The only way for many is to come back to the moobans ,back to family !

At first I resented these instances such as the construction site workers leaving the areas to escape the sites lockdown and shutdowns . Because of this ,Isan has gone from 70 cases p/d to well over 2k p/d.

I guess I was being selfish to deny these people the right to exist!  I changed my mind when  the news was reporting people lying around outside of hospitals and some Thai's dead in the streets !

Edited by riclag
  • Like 5

Wow this sounds like a science fiction horror movie " Covid 19 trains" . If sombody told you that a few years ago you wouldn't believe him. 

• Like 2

So much for the DDC saying, earlier today, that new infections may be falling in Bangkok . . . falling at such a rate that the 'authorities' - un-specified in the report - see fit to organise this first-time-ever evacuation of Covid sufferers.

Quite difficult to correlate this action to DDC's earlier optimism.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

Let's start by getting the figures straight pleased, Are the 1490 covid infected people on the train or 40 ???

The '40' were just those heading to Ubon Ratchathani, whilst the rest were destined for other cities between there and BKK.

• Like 1

It's totally understandable that covid infected persons in Bangkok would want to return to their home towns and villages. And that a train is probably the most practical way to transport a large number home now that facilities in Bangkok are so stretched.

One can only hope the local authorities handle it well and there aren't any who ignore the isolation rules. 

It's scarcely believable though they allow nearly 300 to make their own way back. That's just asking for lots more infections and i wonder if that part of the article is correct or if something was lost in translation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Martin said:

It's totally understandable that covid infected persons in Bangkok would want to return to their home towns and villages. And that a train is probably the most practical way to transport a large number home now that facilities in Bangkok are so stretched.

One can only hope the local authorities handle it well and there aren't any who ignore the isolation rules. 

It's scarcely believable though they allow nearly 300 to make their own way back. That's just asking for lots more infections and i wonder if that part of the article is correct or if something was lost in translation. 

Thais break the rules? I don't know any Thais that obey any rules. 

37 minutes ago, King Cotton said:

The '40' were just those heading to Ubon Ratchathani, whilst the rest were destined for other cities between there and BKK.

Wow this has potential disaster written all over it. I get needing to free up beds, but the risk is way out of proportion to the benefit. 

• Like 3

Just now, EdwardV said:

Wow this has potential disaster written all over it. I get needing to free up beds, but the risk is way out of proportion to the benefit. 

Thais have no translation for logic

• Like 3

Absolute lunacy, sending covid patients around the country guaranteed to create more problems than it solves.

The idiot that dreamed this up deserves to be shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Absolute lunacy, sending covid patients around the country guaranteed to create more problems than it solves.

I bet you any money he's had his shots already.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

c1_2075811_210228134814.jpg

That looks like that government activist Dr Yong on the right. He never misses a propaganda opportunity does he ?

Heard about this when we received a notification on Saturday from the school's admin in Ubon Ratchathani advising of this and the numbers as shown. 

***1,498 COVID patients will travel from Bangkok to different provinces. 444 of them will come to the Ubonratchathani train station on Monday 26 July, 2021. 99 will go to Yasothorn, 51 will go to Amnat Charoen and 294 will come to Ubon. They will be taken to different places for treating.

This is not an official confirmation, but the school have been pretty spot on with Covid information so far. Haven't yet found any official confirmation by the Province's Administration just yet but will keep looking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, riclag said:

I guess I was being selfish to deny these people the right to exist!  I changed my mind when  the news was reporting people lying around outside of hospitals and some Thai's dead in the streets !

9 hours ago, Martin said:

Absolutely right  - it's not that there's little alternative, but that there's no alternative.

There are no beds available in field hospitals, and self-quarantine at home in Bangkok is impossible for many as "home" is a shared room at best.

At least in the provinces the districts have had a little breathing space to get their act together and they've converted schools, hospital areas and nurses' accommodation where those with Covid can not only be quarantined, shielded and secure but they can be given medical attention as well.

What I think has annoyed and irked those in the provinces, though, isn't Bangkok "getting rid" of their Covid cases and sending them home but that Bangkok is still hogging all the vaccines and the handouts.  In my home province, Loei, there have not only been no vaccines at all for a month but there haven't even been any registrations - for farangs or Thais.

At the same time that the local vaccination centre has been closed and all the tentage taken down, for all to see, a nurses block has bern converted for quarantine which is clearly long term if not permanent, and some hospital departments such as physio have been reduced as the staff have to take their turn helping out with the quarantined.

How are locals supposed to feel but resentful of Bangkok and "two Thailands"?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Martin said:

It's correct, with an example being the fatal traffic accident reported here of a pick up full of cases, but it's difficult to know what alternative there is with insufficient beds in Bangkok.

Mandatory "re-patriation" to provinces of origin by train, even if their house papers and registered addresses are in Bangkok as many are so their kids can go to school in Bangkok?

Or only for those who aren't registered in Bangkok, which could mean splitting up families and young children?

What other, better option is there?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, poohy said:

At a loss for words about this. its madness!

10 hours ago, Stardust said:

Wow this sounds like a science fiction horror movie " Covid 19 trains" . If sombody told you that a few years ago you wouldn't believe him. 

9 hours ago, PhayakPeter said:

Thais have no translation for logic

1 hour ago, GuyIncognito said:

what else would you expect from the R tards that run the show?

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well, you come up with a better option under the circumstances - not what should have been done with vaccinations and controls months ago, but what can be done now.

Of course it isn't a good option, but what is?

• Like 3

creating a feeling of "us" and "them" is just another way of the powers that be deflecting criticism from themselves while people die. These posts already highlight how Bangkok is unable to cope despite millions of Baht and numerous hospitals so the throw people back to local hospitals with no vaccines to hid the problem it seems

• Like 2

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

I deliberately didn't include you before as I don't think that would be fair, but what other option is there that's any "less bad" given the current circumstances?

Not what should have been done before, but what can be done now?

... and it's not about "freeing-up" beds so much as having no beds. Where else are they going to go?

3 minutes ago, gazmo16 said:

creating a feeling of "us" and "them" is just another way of the powers that be deflecting criticism from themselves while people die. These posts already highlight how Bangkok is unable to cope despite millions of Baht and numerous hospitals so the throw people back to local hospitals with no vaccines to hid the problem it seems

Agreed absolutely, @gazmo16, but what's the alternative?

... and I'm far from sure about the "numerous hospitals"  in Bangkok.

I can't recall the figure, but I recall being really surprised to see here (and commenting on it) that something like 60% of the hospital beds in Bangkok were in private hospitals.

Maybe an alternative would be extending the emergency decree to requisition beds in private hospitals, and giving them 500 baht per bed per day instead of 10 -20,000 ?

• Like 4