News Forum - Touchy situation: American student’s Dubai Airport nightmare sparks global interest

Thaiger

A 21 year old American student faced a nightmare ordeal after being sentenced to imprisonment for lightly touching a security officer at Dubai Airport in July. Now free, her story continues to draw international attention. Elizabeth Polanco Delos Santos was on her way home to the United States after holidaying in Istanbul, Turkey, with friends. … …

The story Touchy situation: American student’s Dubai Airport nightmare sparks global interest as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

" A large number of international tourists often go through this nightmare "

I know right? who hasn't had a friend or family imprisoned in Dubai for years for behaving normally at the airport?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Wackamole said:

I know right? who hasn't had a friend or family imprisoned in Dubai for years for behaving normally at the airport?

I had a friend banged up in Qatar in similar fashion 

Probably much more to this story than published. 

1. Had this US Student been under the influence of alcohol or something more nefarious?

2. I'm sure if she stayed calm and Co-operative she would have been fine.

Reminds me of a well publicised story a few years ago when a middle aged female Liberal US Professor was transiting via an Airport in Germany when the security staff wanted to examine her hand baggage she called them Nazis and afterwards wondered why she was arrested. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I had a friend banged up in Qatar in similar fashion 

my bad then. I should just count my blessings.

11 hours ago, Wackamole said:

There is indeed an issue with Dubai and the manner in which foreigners are treated. Foreigners have no legal rights in Dubai. They can be held for months prior to trial. Most people can pass through without a problem, but they are best to know their place in the pecking order and that means as non muslims and or dark complexioned, they will be treated accordingly. A quick Google search will show you many examples of what happens when there are "misunderstandings".

8 minutes ago, Vigo said:

There is indeed an issue with Dubai and the manner in which foreigners are treated. Foreigners have no legal rights in Dubai. They can be held for months prior to trial. Most people can pass through without a problem, but they are best to know their place in the pecking order and that means as non muslims and or dark complexioned, they will be treated accordingly. A quick Google search will show you many examples of what happens when there are "misunderstandings".

I searched the internet on this topic and found some awful stories. 

Here is one. 

The immigration officer asks me to look at the camera for the retinal scan and turns away and starts talking to his comrade sitting next to him. For 20 seconds i kept starring at the camera while he was busy chatting and laughing and doing his work very professionally. After that i blinked. He turns and complains that my eyes were closed. So i tell him that they were open for the first 20 seconds and that's where it started. "Are you saying i am lying brother", he said that in an aggressive loud tone. I smiled so he wouldn't think i was challenging him and tried to reason with him but no. He got more rude and says, "do you know how to open your eyes wide"? So i kept quiet not to create any scene and i did as he told me to end this nightmare but that was not the end of it. In a very condescending manner he tells me that my eyes were not fully open and asked me to look at him in the eyes and see how he opens them up wide. He was taunting me. "This is your last chance brother". Enduring the insulting attitude and keeping calm helped me get passed this guy. 
This was the warm welcome i got when i entered the Arab country. Great second impression.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vigo said:

Most people can pass through without a problem, but they are best to know their place in the pecking order

This can be said of approximately everywhere in the world?

6 hours ago, Khunmark said:

Singapore airport isn’t much better. The officials there are rude and arrogant.

yes it's everywhere. because humans with the power to ruin your day sometimes cannot resist it.

• Like 2

A very simple solution;

1. Make yourself aware of customs and traditions in countries you will be visiting/passing through.

2. Take all of the Middle East islamic countries off your bucket list.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

A very simple solution;

1. Make yourself aware of customs and traditions in countries you will be visiting/passing through.

2. Take all of the Middle East islamic countries off your bucket list.

Spent many years working in Saudi. Wonderful place to live and raise a family. 

Welcoming people full of great hospitality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

What was your favourite part of the experience; The treatment of women as possessions or the public beheadings?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vigo said:

What was your favourite part of the experience; The treatment of women as possessions or the public beheadings?

Favourite part of the experience would be:

Amazing hospitality

Making friends for life

Great parties

Extremely safe country to raise a family

Very low crime rate

Travel opportunities off the beaten track

The beauty of the desert

Enjoying the varied weather and topography

Watching a country change before your eyes

Genuine friendliness

I can only speak for myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Obviously not rubbing shoulders with the multitude of entitled royalty or otherwise 'wealthy' arabs.

Girls should take my wife's advice

I told her there was a flight from Bangkok to Boston(we usually fly to Canada) that was connecting in Abu Dhabi

She'd be flying solo

Her exact words............"I'm not go no Abadabado"

Ok then................

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

Obviously not rubbing shoulders with the multitude of entitled royalty or otherwise 'wealthy' arabs.

I'd rather not say....

Screenshot_20231010_152734_com.android.chrome_edit_418571578646023.thumb.jpg.d30df619e6c9c1cc1b72dc7868ee7852.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vigo said:

Let's not act like everything is perfect in, say, SEA. Yet here we are, enjoying everything that's great about the region, the culture and the people themselves.

• Like 1