Buying a scooter for 6 month stay

samiam123

Does it make more sense to buy or rent a scooter for a 6 month stay?   The idea being I might save some money buying.

If I were to buy, what would be the easiest way to turn around and sell 6 months later?

Edited by samiam123

1 hour ago, samiam123 said:

Does it make more sense to buy or rent a scooter for a 6 month stay?   The idea being I might save some money buying.

If I were to buy, what would be the easiest way to turn around and sell 6 months later?

Depends on your location and expected movement around the country.  If staying in one location, ie: Phuket, Chiang Mai or Pattaya, you may be better off renting - negotiate a month by month figure and save on outgoings, registration and maintenance etc.   Some operators my even offer a sale and buy-back deal.

More info needed.

3 hours ago, samiam123 said:

Rent 100% and don't even put another thought into it

10 hours ago, Fanta said:

Insurance! Medical and vehicle or risk ending up like so many muppets without a penny and reduced to begging on a GoFundMyStupidity page. 

What is your point?  I can't tell if you are arguing for or against buying, or renting, or both.  Insurance is a separate discussion but for arguments sake just assume I will have that no matter what.

Edited by samiam123

Not easy to say, methinks.

(o.o.t: Most "6 month" travelers  won`t have a  travel insurance, after the first 6 weeks. 

Just saying.)

And a rented scooter will never have a real 3 party insurance.

If you are  buying  the scooter, you  can insure it. It is not very expensive

just you need either an address in Thailand and a landlord, supporting you with needed papers. Immigration involved, land traffic office, insurance company. And the right visa. I am not 100% certain about, but I think that already a tourist visa can be used for it

Or you would need a Thai person, is not worrying to let you buy it, but drive "her/his" bike for the time.

Just 6 month stay? There is the risk, you can`t sell it for its value, later. Can you store it for later? You know people in Thailand?

But:

If you get a good (real) price, buying it, and you are not trying to get the same amount back, 6 month later, you should be able to sell it in days.

The risk for repair/maintenance is a "cheap" one! Oil changes, repairs, even in brand stores, is cheap, compared to our worlds.

Also most people with long time rental are doing that also out of their pockets, because it is more convenient for them.

Renting, you are often  overpaying, ihn case it get`s damaged / stolen somehow.

But 3 to 4k a month for a 150cc is a good value and you know, how much it is.

And mostly relatively new scooters. Just check/ask for new tyres in the beginning ;-)

Before the scooter came popular, about 20 years ago, the wave or dream, or "samesame" from other brands, were a good and cheap 6 month deal, to buy. Not a big risk, of loosing money. 

Since then, scooters got a lot more expensive and still have high reselling prices. Which needs sometimes more time, to sell it.

There are, like mentioned, even (sec hand) shops available, you can get a "buying it back" deal. The big advantages of them is, you most often don`t need to register it in your name (you remember, landlord, immigration, ...?)

If you buy at sec hand bike shops, they would do the registration process, but still you need to support them with the proof of address paper and about 2 weeks time, till your passport is back in your hands.

Some of the questions asked, in this topic, could be of interest for the decision!

if you wanna travel around, don`t buy, just rent at the locations and get there by plane, bus, train.

One reason: Most rental companies don`t let you legally drive to other provinces wit their bikes!

Sorry, I hope this helps a bit.