News Forum - Phuket’s taxi turf war: App-hailing shakes up local cooperatives

Thaiger

The rise in popularity of taxi apps and cheaper fares threatens the long-standing dominance of local taxi cooperatives at key tourist locations in Phuket. Officials convened with representatives of these groups yesterday to address the emerging issues. The discussion took place at the Phuket Provincial Ombudsman’s Office and was led by Phuket Vice Governor Anupap … …

The story Phuket’s taxi turf war: App-hailing shakes up local cooperatives as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yep the taxi mafia will win again and continue to rip off tourists at every opportunity. If they don't get what they want stand back and wait for the violence against grab drivers.

3 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

Yep the taxi mafia will win again and continue to rip off tourists at every opportunity. If they don't get what they want stand back and wait for the violence against grab drivers.

If Grab fares to BKK airport are any indication they wouldn't be much different than the fares taxi/limo charge at HKT

There is now a bus for 100 baht which looks pretty good

I take the counter desk limo but that's just my preference 

https://phuketsmartbus.com/?lang=en

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

If Grab fares to BKK airport are any indication they wouldn't be much different than the fares taxi/limo charge at HKT

There is now a bus for 100 baht which looks pretty good

I take the counter desk limo but that's just my preference 

https://phuketsmartbus.com/?lang=en

I think the difference is that regular taxi fares in BKK are really cheap anyway, whereas in Phuket they're really expensive in comparison to BKK

Price of gas is fairly similar though.... 🤔🤔🤔

7 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I think the difference is that regular taxi fares in BKK are really cheap anyway, whereas in Phuket they're really expensive in comparison to BKK

Price of gas is fairly similar though.... 🤔🤔🤔

Yes but do you think the Grab guys in Phuket are going to charge BKK prices?

No, they will charge Phuket prices

I know Phuket is a rip off compared to other places

But in real terms it is a decent price for the length of time 

I pay $700-800baht for a nice Toyota Camry for a 25-35min drive

That's 30cad, I'm just not going to worry on my holiday about that

I would probably do the same if living there but if I were worried about budget I'd take the bus

Yesterday I landed in Phoenix Arizona

Looked up Uber and it said it was $45usd for a 21mim ride.

I thought that was expensive and was prepared to take an hour public transit

Checked again and it was lowered to $27 and took Uber

People have choices 

Nothing to get worked up about 

18 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I would probably do the same if living there but if I were worried about budget I'd take the bus

People have choices 

I'm not going to get worked up about it. I'd always drive myself when in Phuket anyway. 

However, doesn't change the fact that Phuket taxis are a rip off, and there's no real justification for it. For regular Thai the living costs are broadly similar to elsewhere in the country. They've had a good thing going for years. 

I'm not expecting Grab taxis to be the same price as BKK taxis, but I would expect some lowering in prices. I've seen some advertised prices where a metered black cab in London would be cheaper over the distance! That can't be right. 

Like you say, people have choices. Give people a variety of options and let the market decide what's viable. But not the cartel that's currently in place. 

On 9/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, Marc26 said:

People have choices 

People do not have choices when there is price fixing or collusion. The problem on Phuket was always the inflated prices. The jigged tax meters, the taxi stop at gem store rip offs, and the surcharged vehicle fares were just icing on the cake of evil.  It is why I have not set foot on Phuket in a few years. I have to go back in a few weeks and am dreading it.. The drive from the airport  with a speeding driver who tailgates in a vehicle often with non working seatbelts is just another aspect of the trip from the airport.  The drive over the  hill of death into Patong is no fun. Th e only positive is that I will stay on the muslim side of town where the  bars are fewer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vigo said:

People do not have choices when there is price fixing or collusion. The problem on Phuket was always the inflated prices. The jigged tax meters, the taxi stop at gem store rip offs, and the surcharged vehicle fares were just icing on the cake of evil.  It is why I have not set foot on Phuket in a few years. I have to go back in a few weeks and am dreading it.. The drive from the airport  with a speeding driver who tailgates in a vehicle often with non working seatbelts is just another aspect of the trip from the airport.  The drive over the  hill of death into Patong is no fun. Th e only positive is that I will stay on the muslim side of town where the  bars are fewer.

I don't disagree that Phuket has inflated prices

But if you aren't super budget conscious  you wouldn't have any of those issues

I've been taking the limo desk for 20 years

Always a very nice Camry with a very courteous and safe driver

For 700-800 baht

Which is expensive for Thailand but comparable to North America so I'm not going to worry

I have a few dollars in the bank

We tried the taxi metre once and it was exactly how you described

I'm fine paying a bit more for a proper ride 

Taxi meters have it rigged. To go to Patong is 1000 baht and then any farther you can see it adding on quckly. This year in June took an older but ok nice Camry for 1000 baht and this was to Kata area. Gave the gal a 100 baht tip. Pleasant person. But fro me why I did not really mind it is because I also had my 2 kids with me so the total was 3 people as was painless. When by myself I rather do not like to pay an over ballooned price. Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya has a great van mini bus service that does a sahre, but I think there is a van share with different mulitple folk you can do that decreases your cost there but increases your time.

So for taxi, even going for say from Silom Bangkok to the Suvarnabhumi airport the standard unspoken fee without meter they will finally say ok on with the toll way covered is 600 baht. But first they will say 800 baht. Same if you catch an incoming taxi upside on level 1 just dropping someone off. I prefer these taxi as the Suvarnabhumi que ones you will have more of a chance of getting the villainous dreaded speed meter.

In the Phuket airport scenario for transportation, same as in CM, there will be fighting on anything that treads on what they think is their territory by any app. CM you have to walk outside to get them app drivers. This teritorial control BS is far too long for airports but it is deep seeded and hard to irradicate and violence even shootings are not out of the question to keep it that way.

One thing i also do not like about Phuket is you have to look hard for good motorcyle rental deals. In Kata it took me and the kids an hour. The guy was nice, had ok prices and the bikes were also nice. And we have bike licenses as well but the others did not care so we walked. 

Did Phuket 2 years in a row with doing different island activity trips after that. Next year is a no go to Phuket on and off to newer things with the kids. Not that Phuket doesn't have some nice places, it is just played for the next 5 or more years for us now.

On 9/22/2023 at 4:16 PM, Marc26 said:

People have choices 

You are still part of the problem.

By comparing US or Canada Prices to prices in  a developing country.

Where the majority of people lives from less the money a day, you are happy to pay for a ride .

Aside, the main problem is the overamount of "taxis" and "black taxis", on the island. The driver are having often just 1 or 2 rides a day.

Kick half of them out or make at least the "TukTuks" with the big plates that, what they should be, songthews, bahtbusses with fixed routes and permanent route driving. And the other prices  will (have to) follow.

The meter taxis, the time they started the meter business, they drove from Airport to Rawai for 450 to 500 on the meter. While your prefered camry asked for a 1000 flat. 700 to Patong, that time.

This 1000 on Phuket was still more, as the bargain price with a meter from Swampi to Pattaya. Which is about double distance

People like you are the reason, that double pricing in restaurants is often praxis: for the tourists it is still cheap, for locals we make it more regular priced like elsewhere.

Just think about it, next time you pay for a Tom Yam double as usual, but still cheaper, as in Canada.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guest1 said:

You are still part of the problem.

By comparing US or Canada Prices to prices in  a developing country.

Where the majority of people lives from less the money a day, you are happy to pay for a ride .

Aside, the main problem is the overamount of "taxis" and "black taxis", on the island. The driver are having often just 1 or 2 rides a day.

Kick half of them out or make at least the "TukTuks" with the big plates that, what they should be, songthews, bahtbusses with fixed routes and permanent route driving. And the other prices  will (have to) follow.

The meter taxis, the time they started the meter business, they drove from Airport to Rawai for 450 to 500 on the meter. While your prefered camry asked for a 1000 flat. 700 to Patong, that time.

This 1000 on Phuket was still more, as the bargain price with a meter from Swampi to Pattaya. Which is about double distance

People like you are the reason, that double pricing in restaurants is often praxis: for the tourists it is still cheap, for locals we make it more regular priced like elsewhere.

Just think about it, next time you pay for a Tom Yam double as usual, but still cheaper, as in Canada.

There are different prices for different services all over the world 

I can land in Vancouver and take a taxi for $30cad or take a Black limo car for $50

Same in BKK

Taxi used to be around $300-400baht and a limo from AOT is $1000

"People like me"

I'm a tourist on Phuket, used to live there for a couple years

Me nor you aren't going to change the pricing in Phuket

I just prefer not to worry about it because it is still reasonable to me

I land in CM and it's 100baht/pp

I land in Ao Nang and it's around 500baht

I land in Phuket and it's 900 now I think to Kamala

Those are the prices and I pay them and not worry about it any of the places 

Now if the taxi limo desk was 2k baht I would think about taking the 100baht bus because that is not reasonable to me anymore

And I do it without freaking out 

I(and you) can't change it, so why waste time worrying about it

And yes, especially since it is relatively reasonable 

By the way 

Double pricing??

I've heard people say that but have never experience it in 20 years living there and holidaying there

I'm often with my wife when in Phuket 

And the prices I get are the same she gets when she goes out and gets food

The last couple times we were in Phuket the street stalls now seem to have to advertise the prices???

(Kamala and up in market near Bang Tao)

There is no reason other than corruption and greed for Phuket to be priced higher than Hua Hin or Krabi or even Udon Thani. If one argues that demand is higher, then surely the economy of scale would say prices should be lower. This is not about being cheap, and is instead about being taken advantage of. It is wonderful that everything goes smoothingly well for you from airport to home/hotel. but the reality is that you are the exception. When I had my apartment in Patong, it was first 500 baht by gray AOT limousine, then 600 then 700 and then  a few years ago 1000 baht. One time I was sold private car transport  and then bundled onto a passenger van and had to endure the gem shop nonsense. I tried the taxi a few times and they were just as bad.   Yes it bothers me that I overpay. 

A person can take the airport bus to Hua Hin outside of town  bus depot for 325 baht plus 100 baht to hotel shuttle. 425 baht for about 4 hours+ travel.  The airport to Pattaya bus is 143 baht.  The mobsters sabotaged the provision of bus service at  HKT for decades. The solitary bus service offered today is the bare minimum and not appropriate for tourists with luggage.  If the AOT and its cohorts wish to overcharge, so be it, but at least let people have an alternative. For example, AOT limos demand 6,000 baht from BKK for a car to Hua Hin. I use a Hua Hin private car service for 3,000 baht. I have a choice and am  ok.  In Phuket I am denied that choice.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Vigo said:

There is no reason other than corruption and greed for Phuket to be priced higher than Hua Hin or Krabi or even Udon Thani. If one argues that demand is higher, then surely the economy of scale would say prices should be lower. This is not about being cheap, and is instead about being taken advantage of. It is wonderful that everything goes smoothingly well for you from airport to home/hotel. but the reality is that you are the exception. When I had my apartment in Patong, it was first 500 baht by gray AOT limousine, then 600 then 700 and then  a few years ago 1000 baht. One time I was sold private car transport  and then bundled onto a passenger van and had to endure the gem shop nonsense. I tried the taxi a few times and they were just as bad.   Yes it bothers me that I overpay. 

A person can take the airport bus to Hua Hin outside of town  bus depot for 325 baht plus 100 baht to hotel shuttle. 425 baht for about 4 hours+ travel.  The airport to Pattaya bus is 143 baht.  The mobsters sabotaged the provision of bus service at  HKT for decades. The solitary bus service offered today is the bare minimum and not appropriate for tourists with luggage.  If the AOT and its cohorts wish to overcharge, so be it, but at least let people have an alternative. For example, AOT limos demand 6,000 baht from BKK for a car to Hua Hin. I use a Hua Hin private car service for 3,000 baht. I have a choice and am  ok.  In Phuket I am denied that choice.

Used that bus service from HH to Soyouwannaboomboomi quite a few times. They provide an excellent service. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 11:38 PM, Vigo said:

I have not set foot on Phuket in a few years. I have to go back in a few weeks and am dreading it.

@Vigo - A fresh report from your trip into Phuket would be most interesting.

Edited by Larry_in_Bangkok