Influential bands of the 21st century.

Thaidup

OK, 23 years now, seems a bit distant untill we hear a song from times gone by, Has it all been lost to the past? Those that grew up in the 20th century know what I mean,

The Beatles.

The Doors.

Led Zeppelin.

The Rolling Stones.

Pink Floyd.

ACDC.

The Who.

Nirvana.

ABBA.

So I have been sequestered in Thailand for over 10 years, and I have no idea of 21st century bands that have had an influence on this current generation,

Lay some out for us to hear and learn from, I can give a couple of examples of bands I find influential from the 21st century, but that was from back in my time in Aus.

1 - Linkin Park

4 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

2 - Coldplay.

A good example of how they where influential enough to have a tribute like this.

Coldplay is playing across the street from my place Saturday but I will be in Scottsdale for the weekend, would have went

• Like 2

The groups mentioned above are all english language bands fondly recalled by old white people. Not an Asian group in the lot.  Any one of the following  has devotees so loyal and so potent that they dominate;

F-16s, Agnee, Tang Dynasty, Beyond, Escape Plan, Zero point, L'Arc en Ciel,Mucc, Lazy, Stray kids. and of course BTS, the  group that has its own army of millions

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vigo said:

The groups mentioned above are all english language bands fondly recalled by old white people. Not an Asian group in the lot.  Any one of the following  has devotees so loyal and so potent that they dominate;

F-16s, Agnee, Tang Dynasty, Beyond, Escape Plan, Zero point, L'Arc en Ciel,Mucc, Lazy, Stray kids. and of course BTS, the  group that has its own army of millions

Well you do see that change in influence in the West for sure with Blackpink headlining Coachella and other Asian groups like BTS, BP and Stray Kids winning awards 

Or even smaller new groups like New Jean's and XG being in festivals like Lollapalooza 

The influence has grown so much they don't even have to wait until they are huge like Blackpink anymore

Like Blackpink wasn't getting those concerts as early as groups Stray Kids, New Jeans and XG are now

Just in about a 5-7 year timeline

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:08 AM, Vigo said:

Yet Asian people will fill a stadium 10 times over to have a chance to see one of the above bands over the homegrown band.👍

Why?

Because they had an influence?

36 minutes ago, Thaidup said:

Why?

Because they had an influence?

The bands of the 20th century sang about feelings.

Since then it seems that bands have dissapeard and songs about sex, drugs, or violence have been the mainstream.

It seems like there is no meaning in the music of today, just video clips pushing the limits of sexual morality onto a video screen to see who can be more explicit than the the next.

Yet when our younger generation hear those bands of the 20th century for the first time, 8 out of 10 times they have an explosion of feelings about the songs.

6 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Yet Asian people will fill a stadium 10 times over to have a chance to see one of the above bands over the homegrown band.👍

Not so sure that statement applies to Japan. For all their influence, foreign artists are nowhere near as popular as homegrown bands. The homegrown bands outsell them and fill more stadiums.

Even the K_pop bands don’t make a dent. Of the top 100-selling artists of all time in Japan, only two - Celine Dion and Mariah Carey - are not Japanese. 98 out of 100. 

If the Rolling Stones come to Japan, they’ll fill Tokyo Dome for three nights and then fly over to Korea. Could they do a national tour? Sure, but there’ll be empty seats in the backwaters. Why? Because most Japanese don’t give a sh*t about the Rolling Stones. You do and I do, but they don’t. Half of the adult population has never even heard of them, let alone been influenced by them…

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaidup said:

Abba in Japan.

Don't go there. BTS is a juggernaut. They crush , flatten and roll through anything in their way. With a fan base of tens of millions, the BTS army is incomparable. Nothing can stop an oversexed frantic asian girl. NOTHING. If you have seen a Godzilla film, then  you will understand the power of the Asian teen girl.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2023 at 11:18 PM, Vigo said:

Don't go there. BTS is a juggernaut. They crush , flatten and roll through anything in their way. With a fan base of tens of millions, the BTS army is incomparable. Nothing can stop an oversexed frantic asian girl. NOTHING. If you have seen a Godzilla film, then  you will understand the power of the Asian teen girl.

Sorry, I thought BTS was a rail line.👍🙂

C'mon guys, we are 23 years into the 21st century. Someone name a band they have been to a concert to see, Tell us or better post a vid of how good the band was.

I think the greatest bands died off in the 1990's, I will even give you an extra 10 years, bands formed in the 1990's that played into the 2000's,

Something like this. Pearl Jam.👍

"Drummers Jack Irons, Dave Krusen, Matt Chamberlain, and Dave Abbruzzese are former members of the band. Pearl Jam outsold many of their contemporaries from the early 1990s, and are considered one of the most influential bands of the decade,[1] being dubbed as "the most popular American rock and roll band of the '90s" wikipedia

I looked into Vigo's contribution to the thread about BTS, And will have to agree with him, BTS on YT has 1.7 billion views on their first song there, followed by billions of views on the next songs, after listening to them a couple of times I am impressed and confident of musics future, good wholesome songs. no swearing or talking about &^%$ing.

Thanks Vigo, they are pretty good.👍

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 2:36 AM, Thaidup said:

I looked into Vigo's contribution to the thread about BTS, And will have to agree with him, BTS on YT has 1.7 billion views on their first song there, followed by billions of views on the next songs, after listening to them a couple of times I am impressed and confident of musics future, good wholesome songs. no swearing or talking about &^%$ing.

Thanks Vigo, they are pretty good.👍

I really love BTS! they are so good on making their fans feel loved by their self. I like how they cross boundaries and not getting stuck on the same type of music. They are so good with their fans and well loved! 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 2:39 AM, Thaidup said:

2 - Coldplay.

A good example of how they where influential enough to have a tribute like this.

This song really helps me in my darkest times. This band influence so much and give so much comfort to everyone. I would really love to see them in the future.

• Like 1

Screenshot2023-10-10at00-29-40LimpBizkit-Wikipedia.thumb.png.652e27a34395b8bcbf1c429052d66813.png2000's band formed in the 1990's. I will still give them a 21st century influential band badge, No doubt that most of our contributors know/remember the band. and the accolades they got from the music industry back then.👍

After watching the latest Mission movie, came back to this song👍