News Forum - Toothpaste review uproar: 1.7 million baht lawsuit gets brushed aside

Thaiger

A legal case involving a young woman who reviewed a toothpaste brand and was subsequently sued for 1.7 million baht has been dropped, causing a stir on social media. The young woman had earlier requested justice after developing an allergic reaction to the toothpaste, leading to the brand’s owner suing her for damages, sparking widespread … …

The story Toothpaste review uproar: 1.7 million baht lawsuit gets brushed aside as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It seems like it's part of this "face saving" culture of Asia in general, but Thailand in particular. I lived in Japan for 5 years previously, but never saw its "face saving" as detrimental to society. Nearly 4 years here in Thailand now, and I kinda do.

It seems to me that people take advantage of others quite often since there's a taboo on "talk bad." And in some sense, talking bad to or about someone who does bad, makes you bad...so there's an incentive to not say anything, leaving room to screw people over.

In this case, it's apparent that the defamation law is being seen by the company as some right not to be criticized, no matter what they do—or perhaps in advance of some governmental action resulting in an adverse judgment. But such honest reviews and complaints are part of the things that lead to such governmental actions.