Very dark white wine

WilliamG

I bought 2 x 1.4 litres of S Blanc concentrate from Jamago last week, mixed it up with 6 litres of clean water and Lanvin 1118 yeast, SG 1080= 10% ABV.

The concentrate looked pretty dark for white wine, and still is after 5 days. I emailed Jamago who said that it is normal for white wines to be dark?????

Said I need bentonite, and then filtration. Never needed it before. 

Any suggestions please from you expert winos. 

IMG_20230829_080241.jpg

6 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I bought 2 x 1.4 litres of S Blanc concentrate from Jamago last week, mixed it up with 6 litres of clean water and Lanvin 1118 yeast, SG 1080= 10% ABV.

The concentrate looked pretty dark for white wine, and still is after 5 days. I emailed Jamago who said that it is normal for white wines to be dark?????

IMG_20230829_080241.jpg

It seems Jamago are trying it on, we all know that white wine should be white, if it needs filtering it would be cloudy at worse. The last Jamago white I did was darker than it should have been, stopped making it after that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WilliamG said:

IMG_20230829_080241.jpg

You might glean some info from this link, maybe exposed to air.

1. You stated that your wine’s are a little darker than normal. This is not a indication that you have a bacterial contamination, in of itself, but it is an indication that there has been too much air exposure to the wine. Oxygen is catalyst that promotes the growth of bacteria.

https://blog.homebrewing.org/all-my-homemade-wines-are-too-dark-and-taste-awful/#:~:text=You stated that your wine's,promotes the growth of bacteria.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

You might glean some info from this link, maybe exposed to air.

1. You stated that your wine’s are a little darker than normal. This is not a indication that you have a bacterial contamination, in of itself, but it is an indication that there has been too much air exposure to the wine. Oxygen is catalyst that promotes the growth of bacteria.

https://blog.homebrewing.org/all-my-homemade-wines-are-too-dark-and-taste-awful/#:~:text=You stated that your wine's,promotes the growth of bacteria.

Thanks. The original juice was very dark, initial fermentation in a sealed jar, no air-lock.

I have asked Jamago for my money back. Cheers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Thanks. The original juice was very dark, initial fermentation in a sealed jar, no air-lock.

I have asked Jamago for my money back. Cheers.

And they have refunded me the full amount. Success.

• Like 1