News Forum - Thai Taxi Association’s controversial tips for satisfactory rides spark debate

Thaiger

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its is absolutely comparable - and that was the exact word used by the study group that reported on air quality yesterday - I'll dig it out when I get chance but they were an official group that have been conducting their studies over many years.  What they said, not word for word - was that poor air quality is now comparable with smoking in terms of health risks.

I was never talking about the health risks. I already said I do have an occasional smoke if way wasted . 

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You've answered my suspicions:

Disgusting addiction, selfish assh*les, addicts, run off the plane, don't care, want their fix.............I think its plain you are just an anti-smoking fanatic.

I do my best to prevent my 'addiction' doesn't 'intrude' on the lives of others. Whilst I accept that many smokers don't - well I'm not a football fan and I hate their singing and chanting but I don't moan about it.  Yes, when people get of a long flight, they want a cig and you wouldn't experience the things you do if the selfish ANTI smoking 'assh*les hadn't closed all the smoking areas at the airport - that was a proper 'own goal'.

I am fully aware what cigarettes smell like, its one of the reasons I roll my own - far less smoke and the smell is nowhere near as bad.  But you anti smokers must bear some of the responsibility for concentrating smokers in one area.  In the UK its virtually impossible to avoid smoke outside city centre pubs because everyone congregates just outside the door for a cig.  As I said earlier - same thing applies at the airport (BKK). Dedicated smoking areas, including one in the centre of the airport that was in a smallish outside garden area - harming non-one but closed by the anti-smoking zealots pressurising the Thai government.

Instead of concentrating people in unofficial areas - there should be designated smoking areas - you might find this difficult to believe but when I arrive at swampy, yes I need a fag but now I have to wait until I've cleared immigration and collected my luggage etc.  When I finally get outside I have to stand with maybe 10 other smokers and it absolutely stinks - between drags I actually like clean air you know? Likewise there should be smoking bars and non smoking bars - people would have their choice.

To be totally honest, I've seen these type of comments all my life and I firmly believe that the majority of anti-smokers do just as much intruding as some smokers do. Although I'd call it imposing rather than intruding.  What the anti-smoking lot actually want is to impose their ways on me and will not rest until smokers are forced to give up.  That's never going to happen.

Overall, what anti smokers fail to understand is that smokers have rights too.

I admit I am 100% anti-smoker, without a doubt....

Here is proof of what I am talking about

This is my office building, but go to the majority of office buildings in any big city and there will be a sign

Because smokers are so inconsiderate and will smoke right in front of doors that buildings have to put up sings so they won't!

Do you know how messed up that is?

That smokers are so inconsiderate they need to put up signs...................

And I believe you are wrong, I do think smoking on public streets will be banned eventually

It is already banned on most beaches and parks, most apartment buildings don't allow smoking on balconies or now, even in your own condo

And what does that tell you? All those bans? The majority of people hate it

You seem pretty considerate and that's good, unfortunately most aren't

Although even yourself, seemingly considerate and reasonable don't realize how much it smells, it seems

20230830_060012.jpg

3 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Its is absolutely comparable - and that was the exact word used by the study group that reported on air quality yesterday - I'll dig it out when I get chance but they were an official group that have been conducting their studies over many years.  What they said, not word for word - was that poor air quality is now comparable with smoking in terms of health risks.

But if you live there, you don't have a choice, it's an absurd comparison

3 hours ago, Mamachigawa said:

I do not smoke but people  who do should be able to smoke outside anywhere

These smokers do smell very bad and do not know it because they are accostmed to their own stench

Not as bad as Africans and Indians body odor

But Indian's body order is not by choice and it's not an addiction, big difference

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

You've answered my suspicions:

Disgusting addiction, selfish assh*les, addicts, run off the plane, don't care, want their fix.............I think its plain you are just an anti-smoking fanatic.

I do my best to prevent my 'addiction' doesn't 'intrude' on the lives of others. Whilst I accept that many smokers don't - well I'm not a football fan and I hate their singing and chanting but I don't moan about it.  Yes, when people get of a long flight, they want a cig and you wouldn't experience the things you do if the selfish ANTI smoking 'assh*les hadn't closed all the smoking areas at the airport - that was a proper 'own goal'.

I am fully aware what cigarettes smell like, its one of the reasons I roll my own - far less smoke and the smell is nowhere near as bad.  But you anti smokers must bear some of the responsibility for concentrating smokers in one area.  In the UK its virtually impossible to avoid smoke outside city centre pubs because everyone congregates just outside the door for a cig.  As I said earlier - same thing applies at the airport (BKK). Dedicated smoking areas, including one in the centre of the airport that was in a smallish outside garden area - harming non-one but closed by the anti-smoking zealots pressurising the Thai government.

Instead of concentrating people in unofficial areas - there should be designated smoking areas - you might find this difficult to believe but when I arrive at swampy, yes I need a fag but now I have to wait until I've cleared immigration and collected my luggage etc.  When I finally get outside I have to stand with maybe 10 other smokers and it absolutely stinks - between drags I actually like clean air you know? Likewise there should be smoking bars and non smoking bars - people would have their choice.

To be totally honest, I've seen these type of comments all my life and I firmly believe that the majority of anti-smokers do just as much intruding as some smokers do. Although I'd call it imposing rather than intruding.  What the anti-smoking lot actually want is to impose their ways on me and will not rest until smokers are forced to give up.  That's never going to happen.

Overall, what anti smokers fail to understand is that smokers have rights too.

I don't know how to break up a thread so will do it this way

"I do my best to prevent my 'addiction' doesn't 'intrude' on the lives of others. Whilst I accept that many smokers don't - well I'm not a football fan and I hate their singing and chanting but I don't moan about it.  Yes, when people get of a long flight, they want a cig and you wouldn't experience the things you do if the selfish ANTI smoking 'assh*les hadn't closed all the smoking areas at the airport - that was a proper 'own goal'.

I am fully aware what cigarettes smell like, its one of the reasons I roll my own - far less smoke and the smell is nowhere near as bad.  But you anti smokers must bear some of the responsibility for concentrating smokers in one area.  In the UK its virtually impossible to avoid smoke outside city centre pubs because everyone congregates just outside the door for a cig.  As I said earlier - same thing applies at the airport (BKK). Dedicated smoking areas, including one in the centre of the airport that was in a smallish outside garden area - harming non-one but closed by the anti-smoking zealots pressurising the Thai government."

Again, I don't think you realize how awful people coming from smoking rooms in airports smell, you then are forced to sit next to them on a plane, how is that fair?

"To be totally honest, I've seen these type of comments all my life and I firmly believe that the majority of anti-smokers do just as much intruding as some smokers do. Although I'd call it imposing rather than intruding.  What the anti-smoking lot actually want is to impose their ways on me and will not rest until smokers are forced to give up.  That's never going to happen.

Overall, what anti smokers fail to understand is that smokers have rights too."

Why should you have rights just because you have an addiction??

"I am fully aware what cigarettes smell like, its one of the reasons I roll my own - far less smoke and the smell is nowhere near as bad"

Guess what?? We agree! I have absolutely no issue with rolled cigarettes. I'd still prefer the smoke not intrude on me, but rolled cigarettes don't effect my breathing. Regular cigarettes give me a tightness in my chest

36 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

But Indian's body order is not by choice and it's not an addiction, big difference

What choice?

In Japan and the US they smell fine I figure they learn to bath and wash they clothes

33 minutes ago, Mamachigawa said:

What choice?

In Japan and the US they smell fine I figure they learn to bath and wash they clothes

I don't know about Japan but Indians(well some not all) smell the same in US as they do in Canada. And some can be very unpleasant to Westerner's senses

I have done some research and it is apparently because of the food they eat

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why should you have rights just because you have an addiction??

Pointless to carry on with this discussion - we've both made our views clear.

However, I would point out that I am not an 'addict' - I choose to smoke and I enjoy it. I have rights just the same as you do - you most likely enjoy a drink? I don't think you should be banned from drinking.  You are also provided with bars and restaurants where you can enjoy your drinking. The places where I can smoke are slowly being taken away because of people like you.

I also drink from time to time but I would have plenty of reasons to be anti-alcohol if I chose to - a drunken father who wrecked my childhood and a drunk driver that killed my friend - to name but 2, and you worry about a bit of a smell?  Do I think drinking should be banned? No, I think people have rights.

Live and let live - don't impose your smoke on others but also don't impose your views on others too.  In life we have to accept that none of us is the same.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But if you live there, you don't have a choice, it's an absurd comparison

Don't live where?  Bangkok?  Of course you have a choice - I absolutely choose not to live there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Don't live where?  Bangkok?  Of course you have a choice - I absolutely choose not to live there.

Some don't have that choice 

Some have to live there for work, family

But it's a false comparison anyway, made by smokers 

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Live and let live - don't impose your smoke on others but also don't impose your views on others too.  In life we have to accept that none of us is the same.

The issue is smokers have abused it and forced people to be against it 

I posted the sign on my office building

That is on buildings all over the world

Why? Because inconsiderate smokers sit by doors and don't care that others have to walk through their smoke

As you said, we won't agree

But I have zero issue with your personal cigarette smoking because you smoke rolled cigarettes and you seem like you would be mostly considerate regardless of what kind you smoked 

I got in a taxi last night and the guy simply stunk of stale cigarette smoke it was that bad I asked him to pull over and I actually got out, can’t say he was particularly happy but we hadn’t gone far. Like mentioned previously smokers are totally unaware of the obnoxious smell some of them carry around with them and it in no way is comparable to the pollution in Bangkok they are two totally different situations and subjects.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 3:52 AM, Marc26 said:

There may be negative effects of breathing the air in a polluted city

But there has never been an instance where I can't breath or feel it in my lungs like I do cigarette smoke

I just don't think you smokers(you non) really understand how much cigarette smoke effects non-smokers

Which makes sense because there are so many inconsiderate smokers that either because of their  addiction  they don't care or they truly don't know how much it effects people 

Take a deep breath in traffic at a red light and you'll know what your lungs are exposed to 24/7. Not to mention the burning season. You better wear a mask instead of pointing fingers at inconsiderate people around you.

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Some don't have that choice 

Some have to live there for work, family

But it's a false comparison anyway, made by smokers 

Its not a false comparison - its very real and everyone has choices.  People who live in places with high air pollution levels live 2 to 4 years less and their children are much more likely do develop asthma etc.

Both my UK home and my Thai home are in the countryside - through choice.  I travel 45 miles to work in the UK, I could live near work but its based in the city and I won't live there - I'd change jobs first.  My job also takes me out of the city for most of the day, every day.

Although my family are grown, I took them to the countryside to live and both my kids now choose to raise their own kids there.

So, as I say, everone has choices, I chose to live in the sticks because the whole environment is far better - cleaner air, much less traffic, decent schools, less light pollution and way less polution overall. Insurance etc. is also much cheaper. 

8 hours ago, Gamaal said:

Take a deep breath in traffic at a red light and you'll know what your lungs are exposed to 24/7. Not to mention the burning season. You better wear a mask instead of pointing fingers at inconsiderate people around you.

Now you are telling me how my body should feel....................sure

On 8/30/2023 at 1:48 PM, HolyCowCm said:

Don’t twist what I said to benefit your thought process. This was the old airport back in its hey day and that smell of tropical warm and airplane exhaust was pure joy of like kissing the ground. Nobody like a diesel black stinky exhaust blowing in their face. 

Yes, I remember that smell of tropical warm, it was the first thing that hit you  almost as soon as the aircraft doors were opened. I grew up on Heathrow Airport's doorstep and worked there for three decades, so pretty much unconsciously filtered out the sweet aroma of Jet A1.

On 8/30/2023 at 5:48 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Don’t twist what I said to benefit your thought process. This was the old airport back in its hey day and that smell of tropical warm and airplane exhaust was pure joy of like kissing the ground. Nobody like a diesel black stinky exhaust blowing in their face. 

Not so much a smell but I like to feel the humidity inside the airport when I land in Southeast Asia

There is a sort of thickness to the air, it seems, when you are getting off the plane

Especially in the older airports like Don Meaung and Taipei feels that way as well

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 5:27 PM, Mamachigawa said:

I do not smoke but people  who do should be able to smoke outside anywhere

These smokers do smell very bad and do not know it because they are accostmed to their own stench

Not as bad as Africans and Indians body odor

And the English body odour too. Never forget the English.

10 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Yes, I remember that smell of tropical warm, it was the first thing that hit you  almost as soon as the aircraft doors were opened. I grew up on Heathrow Airport's doorstep and worked there for three decades, so pretty much unconsciously filtered out the sweet aroma of Jet A1.

Yeah Grumpish, you know what I mean. That feeling of the tropical humidity entwined with the smells that hit you walking on the ramp just right out of the airplane was truly euphoric memory even till this day for me. Something I truly miss about the old Don Meuang Airport of the past as you do not get this at Suvarnabhumi. But I do like Suvarnabhumi more but miss the old smells.

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Not so much a smell but I like to feel the humidity inside the airport when I land in Southeast Asia

There is a sort of thickness to the air, it seems, when you are getting off the plane

Especially in the older airports like Don Meaung and Taipei feels that way as well

Yeah, the old Don Meaung with all its flight and full to the gills with flights and people 24hrs every day was something great. I was a project manager for a construction company and working on the new Air France Lounge back in 2000 at Don Meaung. Loved going there and going behind the scenes as was added great fun getting through security and having full access. That was exactly the time the Air France Concord caught fire too.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:57 AM, Marc26 said:

No my opinion is that someone's addiction shouldn't intrude on me

Having followed this thread from the beginning, I can think of only one adjective to apply to you - sanctimonious.

8 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

Having followed this thread from the beginning, I can think of only one adjective to apply to you - sanctimonious.

I have to be completely honest............I don't give a flying fc*k    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:28 AM, Khunmark said:

And the English body odour too. Never forget the English.

horrible、the old gits forget it is not 1973 and it is OK to shower more than once a week and wash your cloths in hot water. Poverty, rotten teeth, keep milk and butter in a house with no fridge and eat that. What do you think happens? Of course yer not going to smell very good.