Cycling; Shaved Legs, the 'Chewbacca' Scale and Aerodynamics

Shade_Wilder

I came across a fascinating article on BigThink (bigthink.com), a wonderful website that explores ideas in both the arts and sciences.

The focal point of the article is that a serious cyclist MUST shave their legs because it does actually make a difference. Yes, it seems a bit... words fail me, but if you read through the entire article, it'll be well worth your time.

"At average speeds between 20 and 40 miles per hour, the bigger factor for cyclists was the surface area of the body meeting the wind—and the surface area of a shaved leg is as much as 10 percent less than that of a hairy counterpart.

“At these speeds, reducing the surface area is the most important thing, and that surprised us,” Cote told me. “Past studies assumed that hair would be insignificant or would work like those divots on the golf ball—but at cycling speeds it just adds to surface area.” Cote determined shaved legs are the second most important aerodynamic adaptation a cyclist can make, the first being whether the rider choses to wear a skin suit—which, with its long sleeves, also covers the hair on the forearms."" (link below, my bold)

The article looks at many aspects of cycling with an eye to explaining historical trends up to the modern day, and is an interesting read whether you cycle or not. I was going to summarize, but honestly the best thing is just to read the original yourselves.

Enjoy!

https://bigthink.com/health/cycling-shave-your-legs/

image.thumb.png.02af806361689f46848ef5530484e3df.png

Image from Google

• Like 2

Thanks for the like and I am pleased that you enjoyed the article, @BigHewer.

The questions are, though, have you gotten back on 'yer bike? And, have you shaved your legs?

Enquiring minds want to know.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Thanks for the like and I am pleased that you enjoyed the article, @BigHewer.

The questions are, though, have you gotten back on 'yer bike? And, have you shaved your legs?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Yes, I did dust off the bike and take it out for a spin. Was good to be on the road again. 

I won’t be shaving my legs though. Quite content to take 10% longer to reach my destination 😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Yes, I did dust off the bike and take it out for a spin. Was good to be on the road again. 

I won’t be shaving my legs though. Quite content to take 10% longer to reach my destination 😁

Hmm...

This is a bit embarrassing to admit, but if I shaved my legs, I'd get there 20% quicker.

Pleased that you are on the road again; I still wake up before dawn everyday for a 20-30 KM ride. 

"Hello, my name is Shade Wilder and I am addicted to endorphins".

• Like 1

Might be have science reasons, too.

But the main reason, that (pro)cyclist are shaving the legs is/was:

After a crash or fall, hair is not that good in wounds.

And tapes are a lot better sticking, without!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Might be have science reasons, too.

But the main reason, that (pro)cyclist are shaving the legs is/was:

After a crash or fall, hair is not that good in wounds.

And tapes are a lot better sticking, without!

I remember hearing the same thing myself somewhere when I was a kid. Care to weigh in @Shade_Wilder?

My Dad and granddad were both keen cyclists. My Grandad might have shaved his legs. My old man certainly didn’t 🤣

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Hmm...

This is a bit embarrassing to admit, but if I shaved my legs, I'd get there 20% quicker.

Pleased that you are on the road again; I still wake up before dawn everyday for a 20-30 KM ride. 

"Hello, my name is Shade Wilder and I am addicted to endorphins".

Have you ever thought of "going the full Patrick Stewart" though, like shaving your arms and head. I am getting hooked on the idea and as we speak I have a full lather brewing and hoping to smash my record on the indoor bike tomorrow.

Quite an interesting video on said subject, enjoy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I remember hearing the same thing myself somewhere when I was a kid. Care to weigh in @Shade_Wilder?

My Dad and granddad were both keen cyclists. My Grandad might have shaved his legs. My old man certainly didn’t 🤣

I hadn't heard that, but it is hard to argue with the logic. 

I am having a rough afternoon; I just realized that I'd move 40% more quickly if I shaved my back.

🤢

• Haha 2

Some people have way too much time on their hands. Not sure I have ever given my leg hair much of a thought, as I move gracefully and Gazelle like through life;

well I used to.