News Forum - Call centre scam crackdown: Thai cyber police nab nine, seize 300 million baht in evidence

Thaiger

A significant blow has been struck against the fraudulent operations of a call centre gang, masterminding scams worth over 300 million baht, as the cyber police arrested nine individuals and seize numerous items of incriminating evidence. Officers from the Crime Technology Investigation Department at Thong Thanee today were successful in their crackdown against this notorious … …

The story Call centre scam crackdown: Thai cyber police nab nine, seize 300 million baht in evidence as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The UK suffers a helluva lot from scammers, mainly from India, Nigeria and Ghana, claiming they are phoning on behalf of Amazon. Be warned if they ask you to download an app called 'Anydesk'. They then control your laptop or mobile phone remotely.

The BBC have set up a dedicated team of ethical hackers called scam interceptors to intervene where possible.

15 minutes ago, Havana said:

The UK suffers a helluva lot from scammers, mainly from India, Nigeria and Ghana, claiming they are phoning on behalf of Amazon. Be warned if they ask you to download an app called 'Anydesk'. They then control your laptop or mobile phone remotely.

The BBC have set up a dedicated team of ethical hackers called scam interceptors to intervene where possible.

I get three or four calls a week, mostly from India judging from the accent, and claiming to be from BT Openreach and calling about a problem with my internet or from T-Mobile and calling about my phone upgrade seem to be the favourites. If I am bored enough, I will bait them and see how much of their time I can waste before they realise that they have been had.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

I get three or four calls a week, mostly from India judging from the accent, and claiming to be from BT Openreach and calling about a problem with my internet or from T-Mobile and calling about my phone upgrade seem to be the favourites. If I am bored enough, I will bait them and see how much of their time I can waste before they realise that they have been had.

Technology is moving faster than we will ever know.

Just be careful you are not giving them the time they need to infiltrate your system.

Personal recommendation, shut them down asap, makes them think where they got it wrong.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, palooka said:

Technology is moving faster than we will ever know.

Just be careful you are not giving them the time they need to infiltrate your system.

Personal recommendation, shut them down asap, makes them think where they got it wrong.

They never get that far - having spent some years hand-holding end users, desk side and on the phone, I am an expert at being deliberately very dense when it comes to using a computer. 

• Like 2

It has been a dozen years at least since I have answered a phone call from an unknown number.

And for years prior to that, when I still had a landline for some unknown reason (old habits die hard I guess, but no landline since 2011), all calls went to the answering machine because anyone I would wish to talk to knew my mobile and were in my contacts.

I've also tossed all physical mail unopened since about 2006-ish. Official registered mail, or personal service (such as for legal/court) or it never enters my mind. That even went for jury summons in USA. Unless they have proof-of-service, there's no case for failure to appear.

4 years in Thailand, I have received physical mail only a few times. Always expected, from friends or family.

... Once you get over some sense of obligation that you owe picking up any stranger's phone call or opening their mail, you'll look back and wonder why you ever did, safe in the knowledge that you never missed out on a thing.

1 hour ago, RNikoley said:

It has been a dozen years at least since I have answered a phone call from an unknown number.

And for years prior to that, when I still had a landline for some unknown reason (old habits die hard I guess, but no landline since 2011), all calls went to the answering machine because anyone I would wish to talk to knew my mobile and were in my contacts.

I've also tossed all physical mail unopened since about 2006-ish. Official registered mail, or personal service (such as for legal/court) or it never enters my mind. That even went for jury summons in USA. Unless they have proof-of-service, there's no case for failure to appear.

4 years in Thailand, I have received physical mail only a few times. Always expected, from friends or family.

... Once you get over some sense of obligation that you owe picking up any stranger's phone call or opening their mail, you'll look back and wonder why you ever did, safe in the knowledge that you never missed out on a thing.

That is exactly me..........

I was probably one of the 1st people to do no landline, way back in 2002 or so

I may be go to my mailbox once every 2 months.......

My sister's want to send me invites, they know just to ask me, they know I won't go to mailbox

I get calls here in Thailalaland. Got one yesterday. She was speaking Thai and talking about a Tik Tok app. I listened and then said errrr No Thank you and she said sorry and hung up. Had one two days ago as well. Seems my number is starting to be on a hit list. I don’t really care as I put them down pretty fast. But they are certainly out there and in the move.