Two legal questions

Low powered electric vehicles, axxording to battery size, do not require a driving licence. But what is the current Thai law? 

And since they thus have no documentation, can you drive them across the border, without the fuss of paperwork? 

I'm thinking of  long range mobility scooter. And one of these. lightweight bike campers, like a Wide Path or a Nomad. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/14/2023 at 8:03 PM, Karolyn said:

Low powered electric vehicles, axxording to battery size, do not require a driving licence. But what is the current Thai law? 

And since they thus have no documentation, can you drive them across the border, without the fuss of paperwork? 

I'm thinking of  long range mobility scooter. And one of these. lightweight bike campers, like a Wide Path or a Nomad. 

In my opinion, the should require a Driving Licence if used on the public roads together with Insurance to cover any damage to a third party, plus Road tax as we pay for cars or motorbikes. Why should they be free of all that?

They are more dangerous to pedestrians who cannot hear them coming from behind, and more often than not, ridden by kids.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WilliamG said:

In my opinion, the should require a Driving Licence if used on the public roads together with Insurance to cover any damage to a third party, plus Road tax as we pay for cars or motorbikes. Why should they be free of all that?

They are more dangerous to pedestrians who cannot hear them coming from behind, and more often than not, ridden by kids.

Well that's should, and i do see where you're coming from. But my question was about 'is' tge current status. 

spoke with my local dealer who owns a BYD and yes you need a driving licence to put the vehicle on the road and at least 3rd party insurance for any accidents you may be involved in.  He said Thai police will not be interested in whether its petrol/diesel /electric it's on the road so they will treat it as a motor vehicle and let you try to appeal if you wish afterwards. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

spoke with my local dealer who owns a BYD and yes you need a driving licence to put the vehicle on the road and at least 3rd party insurance for any accidents you may be involved in.  He said Thai police will not be interested in whether its petrol/diesel /electric it's on the road so they will treat it as a motor vehicle and let you try to appeal if you wish afterwards. 

So what will happen when an eight year old is involved in an accident?

How can they get insurance & road tax if there is no licence plate.

7 hours ago, WilliamG said:

So what will happen when an eight year old is involved in an accident?

How can they get insurance & road tax if there is no licence plate.

The give away was in the first line, BYD are a car company and the police road checks are on the main roads usually not looking for electric scooters on the back roads. As for accidents the rider will have to be personally held responsible if to blame for damage ' injury to a third party where as electric car drivers have number plates, insurance and hopefully a licence. 

But with all that said, you can't cover every situation with electric vehicles, look at the mess they are still causing in Europe years after they were introduced so what hope has Thailand got of solving it .

17 hours ago, gazmo16 said:

As for accidents the rider will have to be personally held responsible if to blame for damage ' injury to a third party

Yes, I can see the parents of the 8 year old paying up for him smashing into me and breaking my legs.

On 8/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, Karolyn said:

So you’re a Disabled Inexperienced Unqualified Non- Driver seeking to bypass all usual licenses and insurances to  take to the roads in some unsafe semi- legal jalopy death trap, endangering your clueless selfish carcass , and more importantly, other road users, with your lunatic nightmare international go- cart  spas- mobile “road trip”. You must be on drugs, very stupid or plain crazy. Do It. You won’t get 100 metres before being stopped by police & taken for an indefinite stay at the nearest psychiatric ward.😅😂😏😔😡

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1