News Forum - The best 1-bedroom condos for young professionals in Bangkok

Thaiger

Investing in a condo in Bangkok’s CBD indicates a lifestyle choice that blends comfort with convenience. A short commute to work, easy access to amenities such as shopping centres, restaurants and parks, and the invigorating energy of a busy city can be yours. Not forgetting the stunning cityscapes that can offer a soothing visual escape … …

The story The best 1-bedroom condos for young professionals in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The open concept kitchen  is an indication of low quality constructions and inadequate space. Although it is common in most designs, it is one of the worst possible designs from the perspective of the occupant. Real estate developers came up with the design to allow them to sell what was once a studio design as a 1 bedroom unit, without significantly reducing the retail cost. 

Yes, it maximizes space and allows a small unit to seem larger, but the reality is, it is a one room unit with all the limitations of such. Over riding negatives are; Lack of privacy: everything transpires in the  one room. The odors and mess of a kitchen are easily spread throughout the unit. Cook or eat or warm a fish dish and you have the stench for a week, have visitors and they can look at the Kitchen while you prepare the meal or have dirty dishes. Insufficient space: The forced merger of dining areas and sitting space is inadequate. Overall, noise and air quality are far below that of the traditional unit design that allows for a separate kitchen and living/dining space. 

• Like 1

Open plan is suitable, really, for one loner who expects no unexpected guests that he/her wants to impress. And therefore for the sort of rooms you can rrwnt, at 2-5 thousand baht. 

6 hours ago, Vigo said:

The open concept kitchen  is an indication of low quality constructions and inadequate space. Although it is common in most designs, it is one of the worst possible designs from the perspective of the occupant. Real estate developers came up with the design to allow them to sell what was once a studio design as a 1 bedroom unit, without significantly reducing the retail cost. 

Yes, it maximizes space and allows a small unit to seem larger, but the reality is, it is a one room unit with all the limitations of such. Over riding negatives are; Lack of privacy: everything transpires in the  one room. The odors and mess of a kitchen are easily spread throughout the unit. Cook or eat or warm a fish dish and you have the stench for a week, have visitors and they can look at the Kitchen while you prepare the meal or have dirty dishes. Insufficient space: The forced merger of dining areas and sitting space is inadequate. Overall, noise and air quality are far below that of the traditional unit design that allows for a separate kitchen and living/dining space. 

I agree on low quality construction if it is a unit where the kitchen is up against the wall with no island between your kitchen and living room

But besides that, I would very much prefer an open kitchen with a proper island for sink/dishwater, storage

We entertain a lot, and just when my wife and I are at home, having the kitchen not closed off allows us to interact while cooking

And PS, most of the high end apartments I have stayed in Thailand have had open kitchens

5 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Open plan is suitable, really, for one loner who expects no unexpected guests that he/her wants to impress. And therefore for the sort of rooms you can rrwnt, at 2-5 thousand baht. 

Again, I think it's the complete opposite..........

We have 15-20 people over for most holidays and the open kitchen allows us/everyone to interact.............not be in a closed off kitchen

I really disagree on the open concept format. I despise them with a passion. More so than any other trend  other than those odious capri pant/cargo shorts middle aged people now wear. There are 3 distinct disadvantages of the open concept and one has become a serious one, now that the impact of the format has been around long enough to be studied;

Cleanliness & Privacy:  No home maker  wants the world to see an untidy kitchen. It is depressing to visit a home and to see the dishes piled up in the sink. Do you really want to entertain when the kitchen is a mess and everyone can see? Does the the world need to see the  jar of Metamucil on the counter or the Prune juice one has not put away. What about having a picture of Great Aunt Farina on the counter and having people ask who the ugly woman is.

Air Quality: It used to just be about odour. Cook some fish and the  stench was embedded into the carpets and fabrics of the home for the next week. The issue today is the negative impact upon health. The typical open concept kitchen in the condos does not have good air flow/circulation. There is no window to open and one is dependent on a flimsy fan that may or may not off vent air. Even with a window, air quality in the city leaves alot to desire. Cooking produces air pollution. As fats, oils and other components burn off the byproduct has to go somewhere.  The studies are available that shows the   off gassing from ovens and stoves. Even electric  appliances can can cause the  air pollution. If one is using  gas, there is  gas leakage and an accumulation too.   

Noise: Modern kitchens are noisy. My new microwave is annoying with its  humming  and then beeping. If one isn't all alone, then the noise is an issue. Not everyone can afford a Miele dish washer that is as quiet as it is  reliable. Some dishwashers are louder than  clothes washing machines.  I can't stand the banging and thumping that comes from the kitchen during meal time when I am trying to snooze.

Open concepts are fine if one has the space and air flow. They are a misery  in small condo units. One might as well put the toilet and kitchen in the same space too since there is no odour control, nor privacy.  This was a trend 10 years ago, It's had its day like "faux" stainless steel in the kitchen. Back to the divided rooms or at  least  semi divided options with foldable windows and doors (like in Singapore and Japanese condos).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vigo said:

I really disagree on the open concept format. I despise them with a passion. More so than any other trend  other than those odious capri pant/cargo shorts middle aged people now wear. There are 3 distinct disadvantages of the open concept and one has become a serious one, now that the impact of the format has been around long enough to be studied;

Cleanliness & Privacy:  No home maker  wants the world to see an untidy kitchen. It is depressing to visit a home and to see the dishes piled up in the sink. Do you really want to entertain when the kitchen is a mess and everyone can see? Does the the world need to see the  jar of Metamucil on the counter or the Prune juice one has not put away. What about having a picture of Great Aunt Farina on the counter and having people ask who the ugly woman is.

Air Quality: It used to just be about odour. Cook some fish and the  stench was embedded into the carpets and fabrics of the home for the next week. The issue today is the negative impact upon health. The typical open concept kitchen in the condos does not have good air flow/circulation. There is no window to open and one is dependent on a flimsy fan that may or may not off vent air. Even with a window, air quality in the city leaves alot to desire. Cooking produces air pollution. As fats, oils and other components burn off the byproduct has to go somewhere.  The studies are available that shows the   off gassing from ovens and stoves. Even electric  appliances can can cause the  air pollution. If one is using  gas, there is  gas leakage and an accumulation too.   

Noise: Modern kitchens are noisy. My new microwave is annoying with its  humming  and then beeping. If one isn't all alone, then the noise is an issue. Not everyone can afford a Miele dish washer that is as quiet as it is  reliable. Some dishwashers are louder than  clothes washing machines.  I can't stand the banging and thumping that comes from the kitchen during meal time when I am trying to snooze.

Open concepts are fine if one has the space and air flow. They are a misery  in small condo units. One might as well put the toilet and kitchen in the same space too since there is no odour control, nor privacy.  This was a trend 10 years ago, It's had its day like "faux" stainless steel in the kitchen. Back to the divided rooms or at  least  semi divided options with foldable windows and doors (like in Singapore and Japanese condos).

We obviously disagree and you seem really passionate about it!   :)

On this one:

You are obviously not married to my OCD wife, there is nothing allowed on counters, there is no clutter. Dishes???? Dirty dishes? What are those??? 5555

Hell if the counter is not wiped down properly and there is a streak in the marble counter, she notices!

You do make a point about ventilation, if I am cooking something that may produce some smoke or smells I do make sure our bedroom door is closed so it doesn't go into the bedroom

As for a fad, I highly doubt that..............Open living plans is an attraction to most people

The best condo deals are to be found in older and well-maintained buildings as they have a lot more floor space for a lower price. Just purchased 2 bedrooms in Baan Sathorn Chaophrya overlooking river and got 142 Sq ft for half the price of a much smaller new build. Also some of the materials used in these new builds are not very soundproofed and have higher management fees that can go p at any time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, been_there said:

The best condo deals are to be found in older and well-maintained buildings as they have a lot more floor space for a lower price. Just purchased 2 bedrooms in Baan Sathorn Chaophrya overlooking river and got 142 Sq ft for half the price of a much smaller new build. Also some of the materials used in these new builds are not very soundproofed and have higher management fees that can go p at any time.

It really is like that all over the world

They made buildings like shit these days 

They just want to build them as fast and cheap as possible

Even higher end places

I lived in what was called "pre-war" buildings in Brooklyn 

Those things were built to last 

Not a fan of open ended kitchens as well, but it really depends on space and then have to watch out for what you cook. Fish depending on what type can be overwhelming, and in that category is all dried fish and then there is a Thai dish from shrimp paste (Kapi) that is on OMG that would turn your guests and neighbors all running out for the hills. But if that is all you have to deal with in a small condo unit then you plainly make it work. They key point is a vent system, but not sure if all have this. Don't most only have a microwave? Hot plates are normalluy

Talking about condos in article, but even for my house we built as add on a completely separate closed off section for the kitchen which is around 5m x 7.5m / 15ft x 25ft. Thye make everything stripped down at high cost for where you still have to add in aircon, drapes, outside tile, most everything. Bang for the baht is buying a house but foreingers still cannot out right do thi, but in reality houses and condos in Thailand are not cheap and in my mind are in respect the same or higher than the median cost in nice countries.

These condos are purely a rip off, but up to you if you want to buy one at these inflated prices for something you will wake up in everyday finding it hard to have enough room to scratch your private parts.

At least these kitchens are insode the condos as for houses one of my biggest hates is Thai people and them having their kitchens (if you can call it that) outside in their tiny little single story 1-2 bedroom no wiggle room house with zero land in a housing estate. The smell and the noise carries and they plainly think doing it at 5am or 9pm at night is ok.

No big deal out in a village or not in a housing estate area, but then living in a condo you certainly have paper thin walls, echoing tile based noisy corridors where fro mosth of these buildings and the way they are costructed, one cannot ever escape hearing their neighbor fart. 

I fully agree with been_there as old units are far better and bigger and totally worth the price compared to any new unit you see.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Not a fan of open ended kitchens as well, but it really depends on space and then have to watch out for what you cook. Fish depending on what type can be overwhelming, and in that category is all dried fish and then there is a Thai dish from shrimp paste (Kapi) that is on OMG that would turn your guests and neighbors all running out for the hills. But if that is all you have to deal with in a small condo unit then you plainly make it work. They key point is a vent system, but not sure if all have this. Don't most only have a microwave? Hot plates are normalluy

Talking about condos in article, but even for my house we built as add on a completely separate closed off section for the kitchen which is around 5m x 7.5m / 15ft x 25ft. Thye make everything stripped down at high cost for where you still have to add in aircon, drapes, outside tile, most everything. Bang for the baht is buying a house but foreingers still cannot out right do thi, but in reality houses and condos in Thailand are not cheap and in my mind are in respect the same or higher than the median cost in nice countries.

These condos are purely a rip off, but up to you if you want to buy one at these inflated prices for something you will wake up in everyday finding it hard to have enough room to scratch your private parts.

At least these kitchens are insode the condos as for houses one of my biggest hates is Thai people and them having their kitchens (if you can call it that) outside in their tiny little single story 1-2 bedroom no wiggle room house with zero land in a housing estate. The smell and the noise carries and they plainly think doing it at 5am or 9pm at night is ok.

No big deal out in a village or not in a housing estate area, but then living in a condo you certainly have paper thin walls, echoing tile based noisy corridors where fro mosth of these buildings and the way they are costructed, one cannot ever escape hearing their neighbor fart. 

I fully agree with been_there as old units are far better and bigger and totally worth the price compared to any new unit you see.

As for kitchen smells 

If you are married to a Thai lady and you travel for business a bit 

She waits until you are away to cook the real smelly stuff 

Problem solved.    😀

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

As for kitchen smells 

If you are married to a Thai lady and you travel for business a bit 

She waits until you are away to cook the real smelly stuff 

Problem solved.    😀

All good in theory but not really. For mine it is based on a craving and for that matter we all eat it as well, even me. Just happy our kitchen is sealed off from the rest of the house by door and we do have vent sytems.

9 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

All good in theory but not really. For mine it is based on a craving and for that matter we all eat it as well, even me. Just happy our kitchen is sealed off from the rest of the house by door and we do have vent sytems.

I travel enough that she gets plenty of opportunity to cook the real smelly stuff..............

3 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I travel enough that she gets plenty of opportunity to cook the real smelly stuff..............

I do too but up to her and I would never stop her in what she wants to do and eat. Well , except Maybe in a condo though. Would just tell her to go out and buy it premade. I’m fine for most things even durian I am ok. 

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

I do too but up to her and I would never stop her in what she wants to do and eat. Well , except Maybe in a condo though. Would just tell her to go out and buy it premade. I’m fine for most things even durian I am ok. 

Oh there is plenty of smelly cooking going in my condo on a weekly basis that I don't particularly love but don't find it all that bad...........

It is the real nasty stuff that she waits to cook when I am gone.................

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Oh there is plenty of smelly cooking going in my condo on a weekly basis that I don't particularly love but don't find it all that bad...........

It is the real nasty stuff that she waits to cook when I am gone.................

Yeah I know all the nasty smells. Some I just say Holy Shite OMG to her. But I also actually eat them all too. Just have to grin a bear it, but shin my house kitchen is pretty big and separates by a solid glass self shutting door. 

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah I know all the nasty smells. Some I just say Holy Shite OMG to her. But I also actually eat them all too. Just have to grin a bear it, but shin my house kitchen is pretty big and separates by a solid glass self shutting door. 

And I will say most Americans or foreigners could not deal with the smells. Takes awhile to desensitize your nose. For you I think you can generally tolerate it. Your nose has had a couple decades getting numb with her.  

17 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

And I will say most Americans or foreigners could not deal with the smells. Takes awhile to desensitize your nose. For you I think you can generally tolerate it. Your nose has had a couple decades getting numb with her.  

I don't ever complain because we have plenty of smelly stuff ourselves! Maybe not to the extreme they have but we have some............

• Like 1