Basic Numeracy in Thailand; does it exist?

Shade_Wilder

I had an experience yesterday which quite flabbergasted me at the time, but with hindsight shouldn't have, I think. I say "I think" as I would love to hear if members have had similar experiences and/or any informed opinions.

I popped into a shop and bought some (home made) yogurt and some Humus which cost, in total, 263 Baht. I gave the nice girls (two of them, both around 25 y/o) three Baht with an obvious flourish, then handed them a 500 Baht note.

POW! BAM! KAPLOOEY! It was like I unleashed a flying drop-kick.

The two began discussing how much money I should get back (I stayed silent) for a long minute, getting nowhere, then they went into the back to look for a calculator, which they (apparently) didn't find. They came back to the counter and started talking again, unsure if I should receive 240 Baht or 260 Baht in change. I stayed silent again, but finally told them "240 Baht" and as a joke, told them that they needed coffee; fortunately, they saw the funny side and giggled.

Now, to be fair, I know the shop and the staff there and neither of the girls were cashiers, but this wasn't exactly rocket science.

I don't have kids who are/were in Thai schools, but I was a Teacher Trainer at one point in my life and have advocated the bombing of the Thai Ministry of Education building in Bangkok (twice, once to erase all trace of its existence and a second time to make the rubble bounce); I know that the Thai system of Education is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad.

But, is it this bad? Are Thai students really incapable of doing simple arithmetic in their heads? Or, is this a reflection on modern times that everyone carries a calculator around with them now? To those who have/had kids in the Thai system; any comment? Is this surprising to you?

Honestly, I was truly appalled, but blame the School system and the political system behind it rather than the kids.

What say you?

57 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

But, is it this bad? Are Thai students really incapable of doing simple arithmetic in their heads?

I think you would find the same the World over.  The Gen Z lot can't seem to do much in their heads, bar social media and gaming.  Has there been a more useless, inarticulate, illogical, PC ridden, weak. pathetic generation in the history of human kind?  

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I think you would find the same the World over.  The Gen Z lot can't seem to do much in their heads, bar social media and gaming.  Has there been a more useless, inarticulate, illogical, PC ridden, weak. pathetic generation in the history of human kind?  

Hmm... My experience has been very different to yours. My interactions with young folks outside of Thailand have left me quite impressed with their capacities and outlooks, and I have great sympathy for them as every indicator out there says that their future(s) are and will be much more difficult than ours. If you want to slag off an entitled pack of Tossers, I'd put the Boomers at the head of the line. But, that is another thread.

Anyone else have a similar experience with shopkeepers, especially ones on the younger side? I will say that this event was the most... exasperating(?), but it wasn't the first; I have seen Thai cashiers go into "Freeze Mode" on more than one occasion.

Any other experiences? Comments? 

Was this the norm or did I find the exception?

• Like 1

That is an every day experience.

Needing calculator to find out, that paying 75 Baht with a 100 Baht means, they have to give back 25.

And even worse, if you correct them, in case they gave you back too much, they are getting angry,  because others in line could see that.

Back to the calculator, they couldnt find.

None of them had a mobil phone?

Or were unaware that there is more "in  it", then tiktok?

Pisa study is very right, here. Imho

8 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Yes, the generation of white man now 65 and older that whine and moan about everything when, in reality, they had the easiest life out of most generations

I find that generation the most useless...................

PS.............This Gen Z lot is much more smart than my generation and way more smart than previous generations than mine

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I had an experience yesterday which quite flabbergasted me at the time, but with hindsight shouldn't have, I think. I say "I think" as I would love to hear if members have had similar experiences and/or any informed opinions.

I popped into a shop and bought some (home made) yogurt and some Humus which cost, in total, 263 Baht. I gave the nice girls (two of them, both around 25 y/o) three Baht with an obvious flourish, then handed them a 500 Baht note.

The two began discussing how much money I should get back (I stayed silent) for a long minute, getting nowhere, then they went into the back to look for a calculator, which they (apparently) didn't find. They came back to the counter and started talking again, unsure if I should receive 240 Baht or 260 Baht in change. I stayed silent again, but finally told them "240 Baht" and as a joke, told them that they needed coffee; fortunately, they saw the funny side and giggled.

Now, to be fair, I know the shop and the staff there and neither of the girls were cashiers, but this wasn't exactly rocket science.

I don't have kids who are/were in Thai schools, but I was a Teacher Trainer at one point in my life and have advocated the bombing of the Thai Ministry of Education building in Bangkok (twice, once to erase all trace of its existence and a second time to make the rubble bounce); I know that the Thai system of Education is bad. Really bad. Really, really bad.

But, is it this bad? Are Thai students really incapable of doing simple arithmetic in their heads? Or, is this a reflection on modern times that everyone carries a calculator around with them now? To those who have/had kids in the Thai system; any comment? Is this surprising to you?

Honestly, I was truly appalled, but blame the School system and the political system behind it rather than the kids.

What say you?

They are just not taught to think, plain and simple

They are taught to learn the answer and nothing else behind it

My stepson's GPA is 3.8 at one of the best Universities in Thailand and he is basically brain dead outside of that................

^ This is kind of and offshoot of this...........

Our niece graduated with an Engineering degree from Chulalongkorn University, got a job at a major multinational Japanese firm

Of course when I saw her for the 1st time since she started working, I had a million questions about her job

Her mom couldn't even begin to tell you what she does for work

My stepson can get his Masters in Forensic Science because apparently there is a shortage in that field

I have ton of questions about what type of job he would get from it

A Govt coroner job that pays 50k/mo or a Forensic Medical Examiner that pays in the millions baht/yr?

It's important to know, for me and my wife and if we are supporting grandkids, etc

Now neither my wife or her Aunt have much higher education

But you aren't curious to know and understand what your kids are doing or going to do?

9 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

What say you?

I have told this story many times

1st time my stepson came to Canada he was 12yrs old

The day after he landed we took a drive somewhere

He was sleeping 5mins into the ride......

Had zero interest in seeing a country that so many Thais will never get to see

None............

That lack of curiousity, lack of even simple thinking, is the result of Thai education system

15 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes, the generation of white man now 65 and older that whine and moan about everything when, in reality, they had the easiest life out of most generations

PS.............This Gen Z lot is much more smart than my generation and way more smart than previous generations than mine

What a pity, this useless generation is responsible for all the comfort, that all of us can enjoy.

And most of the time, it is responsible that some of this generation Z is be able to do all their activities, without having to bother, how to earn the money to get the food in the evening

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Speak for yourself mate.  All of my generation that I know were and are hard working, intelligent, worldly wise and a credit to their generation.  By the way, none of them bother to use social media, they are far too switched on to need it.

I see that you are from the Colonies, which may go some way to explain your post. Maybe where you hang out, your post is valid. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

I see that you are from the Colonies, which may go some way to explain your post. Maybe where you hang out, your post is valid. 

Hmm...

I posted looking for member's experiences with young people in relation to the Thai school system, but got a screed by privileged old white guys whingeing and whining about things they don't understand.

What's next? Am I going to hear that Elvis' swiveling hips and his new-fangled "Rock-And-Roll" music are poisoning today's youth?

This is why I don't use the site much anymore.

4 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Hmm...

I posted looking for member's experiences with young people in relation to the Thai school system, but got a screed by privileged old white guys whingeing and whining about things they don't understand.

What's next? Am I going to hear that Elvis' swiveling hips and his new-fangled "Rock-And-Roll" music are poisoning today's youth?

This is why I don't use the site much anymore.

Good idea