News Forum - Nine year old boy tragically drowns on holiday at beach getaway in Rayong, Thailand

Thaiger

A beach holiday turned into a tragedy when a nine year old boy drowned in the sea at Mae Ram Phueng Beach in Rayong, Thailand. The boy was swallowed by high waves and a rescue attempt fell short as the youngster slipped from his rubber ring and disappeared beneath the waves. A 10 year old … …

The story Nine year old boy tragically drowns on holiday at beach getaway in Rayong, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Why can't the authorites totally banned the beach from swimming during such danger seasons?

Well if there are strong undercurrents then they should. Phuket is where it is sort of monitored, but still very dangerous. 

4 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Why can't the authorites totally banned the beach from swimming during such danger seasons?

People have to take self responsibility.  Crazy thing is, most Thais don't know how to swim, it wouldn't surprise me if the parents of this poor boy didn't know how to swim yet they let him swim in the water.

A simpleton's approach  is to ban an activity outright because a small group are irresponsible. Tourists visit Thailand for beach holidays. Deny access to the water and you destroy the  motivation for a holiday by the sea.

Sad to see a child drown. However, it is not my fault the parents or guardians did not supervise. Most every westerner visiting the beach would have been exposed to Red Cross  or similar water safety education programs and understood water safety and the buddy system. Don't penalize my kids for the negligence of others. In any case, a ban is unenforceable.

17 minutes ago, Vigo said:

A simpleton's approach  is to ban an activity outright because a small group are irresponsible. Tourists visit Thailand for beach holidays. Deny access to the water and you destroy the  motivation for a holiday by the sea.

Sad to see a child drown. However, it is not my fault the parents or guardians did not supervise. Most every westerner visiting the beach would have been exposed to Red Cross  or similar water safety education programs and understood water safety and the buddy system. Don't penalize my kids for the negligence of others. In any case, a ban is unenforceable.

Use common sense. I was just in Phuket in June and one of those days with my adult kids on a particular beach I showed them the foam and back wash curent and said, that is a no swim or in the water time beach.

58 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Use common sense. I was just in Phuket in June and one of those days with my adult kids on a particular beach I showed them the foam and back wash curent and said, that is a no swim or in the water time beach.

Yeah we were in Patong 2 summers ago and my 21yr old stepson and GF were going in and it was a bit rough

I told them to be careful and I still watched them like hawks in case I saw an issue

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yeah we were in Patong 2 summers ago and my 21yr old stepson and GF were going in and it was a bit rough

I told them to be careful and I still watched them like hawks in case I saw an issue

Aint that the truth!

Stick to the supervised Swimming Pool and, if you must, High Beach. My Thailand Family ( inc. me) are strictly banned from ALL contact with Open Water & All Water Craft ( & Buses). Risk far outweighs Reward.I’m a former Scuba Diver & Wind Surfer. Love Open Water but just too many Hazards beyond reasonable & enjoyable Control.