Boring Bangkok

Karolyn

Dusit Zoo has closed. The quirky stuff like the aeroplane graveyard and the seashell museum, have gone. What then is there in Bangkok, if I don't drink, or eat out, or go on shopping sprees? There don't even seem to be as many khlong dragons or wild turtles around, as there used to be. 

2 hours ago, Karolyn said:

Dusit Zoo has closed. The quirky stuff like the aeroplane graveyard and the seashell museum, have gone. What then is there in Bangkok, if I don't drink, or eat out, or go on shopping sprees? There don't even seem to be as many khlong dragons or wild turtles around, as there used to be. 

Nothing.  Like most Cities, its noisy, polluted, scam ridden, too hot and expensive, and now flooded. 

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Nothing.  Like most Cities, its noisy, polluted, scam ridden, too hot and expensive, and now flooded. 

I notice that cabbies now, compared to a few years ago, are reluctant to use their meter. This puts the price of travel around Bangkok up a bit. Whereas bike cabbies are still inexpensive enough. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Karolyn said:

I notice that cabbies now, compared to a few years ago, are reluctant to use their meter. This puts the price of travel around Bangkok up a bit. Whereas bike cabbies are still inexpensive enough. 

Thays the least of the issues. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Thays the least of the issues. 

But it's a new and irritating one. If they see a white face, some of them are (or were) asking 300-400 THB for an 80-100 THB journey. Even if a meter was on full view. Though by now, the problem seems improved again, just the other day I was told 'no meter' at about 10pm. 

13 hours ago, Karolyn said:

If you don't drink there is still tons to do, more now than ever before

This is fairly new area, and it is quite entertaining 

https://touristbangkok.com/bangkok-shopping-guide/bangkok-markets/khlong-ong-ang-walking-street/

Ari is another new area to explore

https://travelhappy.info/ari-bangkok/

Over by the river on the Bangkok side near Chareon Rd there area all kinds of art galleries and pop-up shops 

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/3188673/bangkoks-charoenkrung-road-citys-oldest-now-its-hippest

I personally drink a ton and go to amazing restaurants, plus all this other stuff.....

Have people lost the ability to make their own entertainment now, everything must be laid on these days. Ian Hislop summed it up best when he said "put your mobile phone there, then go for a life over there. 

Learn Thai, if you already speak it learn Tagalog. 

Go for a cycle ride around a park or even Suvarnabhun Airport. 

Learn to play the guitar and entertain your friends (if you have any). 😁

There has to be more to life than just theme parks and shopping malls. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

There has to be more to life than just theme parks and shopping malls. 

Neighborhoods

Pick a new one each weekend and explore

You won't get bored 

• Like 2