News Forum - Cabinet approves extended holiday boosting Phuket’s economy by 2.2 billion baht

Thaiger

News from the Thai island of Phuket brings to attention a myriad of fascinating events that transpired yesterday, headlined by an extended holiday receiving the Cabinet’s approval. The long holidays have reportedly been known to promote expenditure within Phuket, with conjecture claiming an economic boost of close to 2.2 billion baht. Due to the surge … …

The story Cabinet approves extended holiday boosting Phuket’s economy by 2.2 billion baht as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Of course. nobody ever talks about lost production over these extended holidays.  I imagine that the vast majority of Thais just stay at home. Not many of the 70 odd million have enough disposable income for travel, hotels and eating out. Still, why spoil a good story with facts. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Of course. nobody ever talks about lost production over these extended holidays.  I imagine that the vast majority of Thais just stay at home. Not many of the 70 odd million have enough disposable income for travel, hotels and eating out. Still, why spoil a good story with facts. 

??? on the lost production angle. Thought that most Govt employees produce nothing but mountains of paper. Probably where they save billions of baht and claim saving forests in the process.

For my part I'll put up with no Immigration for the next 6-7 days, lack of banking access and the other oddities of these extraordinary long holiday periods and watch the baht increase in value (??????)

Looking at this scenario I'm surprised that Foreign investment exists in Thailand.  How can you produce anything if no one is working. I know staggered days off etc and OT thrown about but that OT and production loss hits the bottom line at some time.

My experience is that the "sometime" is always the worst time.

How can any countries economy go up with sometimes up to 30 public holidays a year????

Think a few economic porkers are floating around.

52 minutes ago, palooka said:

??? on the lost production angle. Thought that most Govt employees produce nothing but mountains of paper. Probably where they save billions of baht and claim saving forests in the process.

For my part I'll put up with no Immigration for the next 6-7 days, lack of banking access and the other oddities of these extraordinary long holiday periods and watch the baht increase in value (??????)

Looking at this scenario I'm surprised that Foreign investment exists in Thailand.  How can you produce anything if no one is working. I know staggered days off etc and OT thrown about but that OT and production loss hits the bottom line at some time.

My experience is that the "sometime" is always the worst time.

How can any countries economy go up with sometimes up to 30 public holidays a year????

Think a few economic porkers are floating around.

Well massive multinational billion dollar companies have been doing business in Thailand for decades, so I guess they are doing something correct

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Well massive multinational billion dollar companies have been doing business in Thailand for decades, so I guess they are doing something correct

Agreed, the biggest are the car companies that have-to-have assembly lines in Thailand to operate without crippling taxes. Probably the best deal ever in Thai history that wasn't a scam or outright lie. Therein lies Thailand's Achilles heel.

But many other nations have watched and learnt.

Many (Sth Koreans) have packed and left, and the number of holidays increase yearly.

India is not only big on tourism but on the sacrosanct area of attracting big business.

The next few months are crucial to Thailand, politics will be in the forefront.

Prediction for Xmas -- I'll get more baht every month on exchange rates, holidays and TAT predictions be damned.😂