News Forum - Thailand eyes record 2 million Russian tourists despite geopolitical tensions

Thaiger

With an increase in flights and a neutral position on the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Thailand’s Tourism Authority (TAT) is poised to welcome a record-breaking 2 million Russian tourists next year. Khanittha Phanworawat, the Moscow office director, emphasises the urgent need to preserve Thailand’s image as a friend to Russian travellers, as a measure to achieve this … …

The story Thailand eyes record 2 million Russian tourists despite geopolitical tensions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Europeans and Americans may not view favourably the fact that Thailand welcomes Russian tourists because of the war and countless war crimes Russia is guilty of. Europeans and Americans may avoid travelling to Thailand because of that.

Moreover, as it is difficult for Russia to get spare parts for Russian airlines using western aircraft, the already poor safety record of many Russian airlines may get even worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NightRider said:

Europeans and Americans may not view favourably the fact that Thailand welcomes Russian tourists because of the war and countless war crimes Russia is guilty of. Europeans and Americans may avoid travelling to Thailand because of that.

Moreover, as it is difficult for Russia to get spare parts for Russian airlines using western aircraft, the already poor safety record of many Russian airlines may get even worse.

It's a numbers game. Euros and Mericans less important these days compared to Asean, East Asia, India. Russia etc. 

2 million Russians over 1 million something else. They're gonna choose the Russkies. Nothing new. 

Russians will of course go to Thailand in increasing numbers they know they are very unwelcome in most European countries due to their illegal invasion and war crimes in Ukraine. Still got quite a few staying out of Russia to avoid being drafted into the army too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NightRider said:

I got to be honest, I'd much rather have a lot of the Russian tourists than most of the American(I am American) and European tourists I run into in Thailand

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

Russians will of course go to Thailand in increasing numbers they know they are very unwelcome in most European countries due to their illegal invasion and war crimes in Ukraine.

Finland doesn't admit Russian tourists at all. By the way, I wonder how neutral a stance Thailand would adopt if Russia declared war on Thailand.

• Like 1

Honestly, the Russian families in Phuket are behaving way better than the general reputation of loud, drunk people havoc'ing bars and disturbing people. Sure, there are a lot of them, but I personally don't find them disturbing. And the more Russian men in Thailand, the fewer Russia can send to the front, theoretically it should help the war to end sooner. The only issue I see, is the few criminal elements, driving mafia business, taking up Thai restricted jobs etc etc. but let the authorities handle that, I am sure they are aware.

Phuket is still the best place to be..

8 hours ago, Justanotherdude said:

Honestly, the Russian families in Phuket are behaving way better than the general reputation of loud, drunk people havoc'ing bars and disturbing people. Sure, there are a lot of them, but I personally don't find them disturbing.

I agree 100%

Not the most engaging people but they keep to themselves and I don't see them causing any issues, unlike some of the low class Europeans I see...........