News Forum - Extended Thai public holidays offer rare six-day break amidst King’s birthday

Thaiger

In the week ahead, residents and visitors in Phuket are encouraged to soak up a rare bounty of public holidays, set across five out of six consecutive days. Starting next Friday (July 28), the nation will unite to celebrate the 71st birthday of the King. Adding to the festive period, two significant Buddhist events, Asarnha … …

The story Extended Thai public holidays offer rare six-day break amidst King’s birthday as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a ridiculous headline in the current climate.

The last thing the nation will do is 'unite'.....it's probably more divided than ever before.

Yeah and a forced 2 day ban on aclohol to all the people.

This is one law that needs to be repealed and yet another great issue MFP was set up to go in and reverse as it make zero sense and goes agains freddom of right and suppsoedly what the constition still has in it.

So Yippee for the Thai people to have an extended holiday but not allowed to buy aclohol anywhere or drink out in public. What a farce. Election days are bad enough already. This is just a means of control once again flushing peoples' rights down in the toilette. So much for tourism and visiting folk as well. I would highly avoid travelling here on these two days if my vacation only consisted of one week or a little more.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yeah and a forced 2 day ban on aclohol to all the people

So be proactive and buy enough of your favourite tipple to last you over the holidays. Yes, it IS a control that needs to be looked at and perhaps dumped, but the first item on the agenda has to be getting a working parliament with an effective Prime Minister.

39 minutes ago, Viggen840 said:

So be proactive and buy enough of your favourite tipple to last you over the holidays. Yes, it IS a control that needs to be looked at and perhaps dumped, but the first item on the agenda has to be getting a working parliament with an effective Prime Minister.

I know the drill and have it covered for my house but I have to also have the inconvenience to rearange a 3-4-5 day planned mountain motorcylce trip with my visiting Thailand friend who has limited time, so this does put a crimp in this a bit because the days after the ban are not an option as his time is already coming to an end.

So it is now needing  to come home on the day before you cannot buy and drink. If it was not in effect and a m o r o n i c law then I had a couple of more open days to choose from but this charade of nonsense does put an inconvenience on this trip, and this time it has to deal with a visiting friend who is a tourist. What next, should they consider bans of alcohol on Christmas Eve and Easter and the weeks of Ramadan? Land of freedom for all, but very selective.

Yeah, they sure made the best choice for targeting the best upcoming effective PM taking him out.

Never really understood the concept of banning alcohol on holidays when people have the time to actually go out for a meal and drinks with friends without having to get up for work in the morning you take that option away from them. Must be a fair loss of tax revenue over this period too. It seems to help no one.

10 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Never really understood the concept of banning alcohol on holidays when people have the time to actually go out for a meal and drinks with friends without having to get up for work in the morning you take that option away from them. Must be a fair loss of tax revenue over this period too. It seems to help no one.

In this particular case, the banned days are significant religious holidays. As such, public consumption or sale of alcohol would be seen as offending behaviour.

11 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Never really understood the concept of banning alcohol on holidays

Control!

They can, so they do.

• Like 1

Rare 6 day holiday?  I don't think so. The Thais have more long weekends than normal length ones. The Maltese are the only others I have known who have regular long weekends, as much as Thailand.